Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Mitch
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

276BA57E-E0F3-4D09-ACD9-A92CED6A41FB (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldschoolbob.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Sorry but I just have to complain somewhere. I have never had a Facebook account. My wife does. A couple of months ago I learned there are pinball groups on there so I decided to join. I don’t like giving any of my personal information to any of these corporations – I don't even post a facial photo. So I opened an account with my Gmail address using the name “Bob O Skool”. (obviously not my real name). After a few weeks I was informed that I have to change my password. I gave them my Gmail address and they sent me a code. I entered the code and then they asked for my phone number so they could send me another code. I refuse to give them my phone number – And besides what if I don’t have a phone for text messages (i.e. old land line phone).

I tried several times to get back on Facebook. At one point they even asked for a photo I.D. Why in the hell do they need this information just to post comments about pinball? I’m so glad PinSide don’t ask for this personal information.

And the complaint goes on. I decided to sell some of my rebuilt MPUs on EBay. I had to re-open my PayPal account that’s been closed for years. Now they’re asking for my phone number. What is going on? They want my real name – address – phone number – bank account - photo I.D. – next they’ll want finger prints and DNA sample.

Thanks for listening to my complaining.

Bob

#22 4 years ago

I don’t mind not being on Facebook. I just like to talk about (and read about) pinball.

The part that upsets me is not being able to use PayPal. You can’t sell on Ebay without PayPal. I dropped PayPal years ago when they asked for my checking account number. My intentions were to use it like a small Ebay account. – sell a few things then buy a few things. I guess that’s out of the question now.

As far as security is concerned – when you sign up why not just ask a few security questions that only you would know. Like your mother’s maiden name – what city were you born – your favorite pet’s name. I think they want my phone number to sell to spammers – like they use to do with e-mail addresses. You’ll be swamped with text messages selling all kinds of crap.

I looked up temporary or false phone numbers. Has anyone used something like this?

https://www.burnerapp.com/

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Forcing you to use a phone number when reactivating your Paypal account, means that it's less likely that a hacker or other criminal could fraudulently access your account. If a criminal gained access to your Paypal account they could do all sorts of bad stuff. Including ripping you and others off for thousands of dollars.

That don't make much sense. If someone hacked your account they could easily give another phone number that they could access.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Fake phone number apps. I always use the “text free” apps for phone numbers craigslist and such. I don’t give my real number till I meet in person or at least a successful deal is made.

So far it’s worked well

Please tell me more. How does it work? Where do you get your phone numbers? How much does it cost? Do you always keep the same fake number? Do you get a new number every month? How long does the number last? Can you turn off receiving calls from the fake number? Do you get spam from the fake number?

I'm very interested in this.

Thanks

Bob

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider oldschoolbob.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/everybody-wants-my-phone-number?tu=oldschoolbob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.