IMG_4750 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_4749 (resized).jpeg
20230709_170235a (resized).jpg
20230709_170256a (resized).jpg
20230709_170230a (resized).jpg
20230627_022449 (resized).jpg
20230627_012404 (resized).jpg
There are 570 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 12.
#451 2 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:Any opinions on who makes the best Twister decals?

I got mine out of Pinball Centre in Germany and was initially dissapointed as the quality of the decal as it seemed really thin compared to what retro arcade refurbs put out BUT really happy with the end result. I chose the Pinball Centre ones as the pics looked to be a bit better.. the artwork looked slightly more detailed. I could be completely wrong but that was my impression
The quality is actually quite good just need to make sure the surface prep is 100% blemish free otherwise it will show up any flaws. Also noticed Retro Refurbs are thicker which I like but the cost for that is some stretch so the seem to shrink by a few mm in the months after applying. Again this may be because of the way I apply the decals but the Pinball Centre decals did not shrink and look great.

Screenshot_20210816-053019_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210816-053019_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210816-053128_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210816-053128_Gallery (resized).jpg
#452 2 years ago

I would not take the road through Pinball Center unless I had no other choice

pasted_image (resized).jpegpasted_image (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#453 2 years ago

Hey all, would appreciate it if someone could measure the back and front legs on Twister. Mine is definently wrong! Would like to confirm what it's meant to be before sourcing some. I have approx 600mm from bottom bolt to floor for both legs. Thanks.

20210924_162619 (resized).jpg20210924_162619 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#454 2 years ago

Hi stormheads,

Picked up a Twister to shop for a client and found a potentially alarming issue, seems like it could be common... Have any of you seen this before or know how to fix it?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twister-motor-cracked-pending-self-destruct-is-it-possible-to-fix

#455 2 years ago
Quoted from CryptKeeperAUS:

Hey all, would appreciate it if someone could measure the back and front legs on Twister. Mine is definently wrong! Would like to confirm what it's meant to be before sourcing some. I have approx 600mm from bottom bolt to floor for both legs. Thanks.
[quoted image]

Overall length of entire leg is 30.5” so approx 774.7mm

The measurement your asked for is 25.5” so 647.7mm when taking out the leg leveler

And they are the black crinkle finish. I know no one makes accurate DE repro legs. Not sure about Sega

Sorry for the late response

#456 2 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

Overall length of entire leg is 30.5” so approx 774.7mm
The measurement your asked for is 25.5” so 647.7mm when taking out the leg leveler
And they are the black crinkle finish. I know no one makes accurate DE repro legs. Not sure about Sega
Sorry for the late response

No worries. Thanks for the reply. It's appreciated!

1 week later
#457 2 years ago

Need some help diagnosing problem with my center disc spinning.

It won’t spin during the initial launch shot or anytime after. UNTIL the later modes where it will randomly begin spinning.
I went through the Dr pinball on it and got “replace I/o board”. I sent the board to Clive at coin op and got a few things fixed. Still didn’t change anything.
The disc will not spin when activated via the tech checks.
I’ve gone through every branch of the Dr pinball and everything checks out. 20v. 50v. Continuity where it should be. Etc
I am completely beside myself at this point having spent probably 20 hours and a few $100 to no avail

Anyone have anyplace to check?

#458 2 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

Need some help diagnosing problem with my center disc spinning.
It won’t spin during the initial launch shot or anytime after. UNTIL the later modes where it will randomly begin spinning.
I went through the Dr pinball on it and got “replace I/o board”. I sent the board to Clive at coin op and got a few things fixed. Still didn’t change anything.
The disc will not spin when activated via the tech checks.
I’ve gone through every branch of the Dr pinball and everything checks out. 20v. 50v. Continuity where it should be. Etc
I am completely beside myself at this point having spent probably 20 hours and a few $100 to no avail
Anyone have anyplace to check?

Check the relay board and wiring connectors for the disc motor. It only activates for skill shot and multiball start anyway or scoop ejects in multiball.

Forget the tests as they are rubbish. The magnet test disc test starts the motor but doesn’t activate the disc magnet! It puts it into detect mode

If you have magnet issues ( seperate from disc motor issues) we have more stock of our popular magnet board replacements now.

#459 2 years ago

I bought a new spinning disc decal from Marco and... it seems to be an overpriced joke: completely flat with hardly any grip texture. Or is that how they all were originally?

The one currently on the game appears to be its original on from 1995. It is heavily faded, but has lots of pockmarked "grip" unless that is actually just wear?

Has anyone had luck with the Marco discs... can you just stick them over the original and hope that eventually bites into the OEM texture (I doubt this would happen but maybe someone has tried it)? Is there some sort of "grip coat" that can be applied to the Marco one?

As it stands I'm more tempted to try and paint the existing disc and hope the purple or whatever settles into the pocks and thus stays reasonably colorfast, but again I'm not holding my breath there.

#460 2 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

I bought a new spinning disc decal from Marco and... it seems to be an overpriced joke: completely flat with hardly any grip texture. Or is that how they all were originally?
The one currently on the game appears to be its original on from 1995. It is heavily faded, but has lots of pockmarked "grip" unless that is actually just wear?
Has anyone had luck with the Marco discs... can you just stick them over the original and hope that eventually bites into the OEM texture (I doubt this would happen but maybe someone has tried it)? Is there some sort of "grip coat" that can be applied to the Marco one?
As it stands I'm more tempted to try and paint the existing disc and hope the purple or whatever settles into the pocks and thus stays reasonably colorfast, but again I'm not holding my breath there.

I don't know the size of the twister disc, but people have used this over the pirates disc. I have some but haven't put it in yet.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LZYSXZJ

Also read that clear non slip stuff for bathroom tubs works as well.

#461 2 years ago

You have to remove the original.

Its not supposed to be super grippy, I have the marco spinner decal and it moves the ball just fine.

#462 2 years ago

I do not think I ever updated this thread, but new ramps have been available on my site for a bit now.

Here is the link for posterity:

https://rampomatic.com/products/sega-twister-main-ramp?_pos=1&_sid=c41880b23&_ss=r

#463 2 years ago

Thanks for the info on the stickers. The one that's on there is really more like the Whirlwind stickers - looks and has a texture like cinder-block concrete (with a more rubbery feel). But I guess I'll apply the new one and see what happens. It's interesting that folks are using clear 3M vinyl (mylar?) to add grip; I would similarly expect that to be smooth.

#464 2 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Check the relay board and wiring connectors for the disc motor. It only activates for skill shot and multiball start anyway or scoop ejects in multiball.
Forget the tests as they are rubbish. The magnet test disc test starts the motor but doesn’t activate the disc magnet! It puts it into detect mode
If you have magnet issues ( seperate from disc motor issues) we have more stock of our popular magnet board replacements now.

I never got your replacement magnet board working in my Twister unfortunatly. I ended up replacing the diodes in the original board but only get a few games in before they de-solder themselves from the board. Do you have any documentation for troubleshooting with your new board? I would much rather use a newly designed board than the old.

#465 2 years ago

Can't comment on price but the quality of the marcos ones was fine for me. I completely removed the old sticker, cleaned with isoprop and got good adhesion with the new sticker. It does the job perfectly. The ball will spin and arc as per the original sticker. I removed the disc and spent plenty of time on prep. I had the same style pitting on the original sticker. I believe this was just wear.

#466 2 years ago

I never got your replacement magnet board working in my Twister unfortunatly. I ended up replacing the diodes in the original board but only get a few games in before they de-solder themselves from the board. Do you have any documentation for troubleshooting with your new board? I would much rather use a newly designed board than the old.

All info is in the document sheet sent with it. I can send that again if you dont have it.

Best thing to do is check you plugged the connectors on correctly first especially the MAG1 & MAG2 connector and then what the leds are doing on the board.

If it doesnt work after these checks then its normally the games I/O board or the magnets themselves as it has to be game specific

What condition is the game itself in. Was it in a bad shape originally? Your original magnet board is hosed if it get's that hot diodes unsolder, so bin that as it will just damage other things..

#467 2 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

I’m not having any magnet issues. I have a working original board and 2 of your replacements boards. Magnets work fine. Just the disc won’t spin.
The relay for the disc looked off and the board had some small heat spots on it. So I ordered the replacement 24V snubber board from ActionPinball and it didn’t fix anything.
Beginning to think the only thing left is the motor itself on the spinning disc.

#468 2 years ago

Most of Marco things are overpriced but they’ll typically the only ones carrying 1-off stuff like that.
I ordered my replacement in 2018 and it’s a grippy like 80 grit sandpaper disc. I guess they’re doing something different these days.

#469 2 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

I’m not having any magnet issues. I have a working original board and 2 of your replacements boards. Magnets work fine. Just the disc won’t spin.
The relay for the disc looked off and the board had some small heat spots on it. So I ordered the replacement 24V snubber board from ActionPinball and it didn’t fix anything.
Beginning to think the only thing left is the motor itself on the spinning disc.

Try manually activating (ground) the drive on the io driver board for the relay to the disc motor to check its not a wiring or a power issue

#470 2 years ago

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone else has come across the factory wire loom color coding being different to the manual for the diverter and magnet disc?

Unsure if it's a printing error or a wiring error from the factory at this point. Would appreciate if anyone can confirm the coloring of their magnadisc and diverter magnet wires?

I have white/green and white/brown to magent disc and blue and blue/white to diverter magnet however, the opposite is specified in the manual.

Tha manual has Disc as MAG1 and Diverter as MAG2.

Also wondering if either magnet will register the "skill shot". At the moment, only the diverter magnet is registering the skill shot.

Cheers for any info on this.

20211109_170008 (resized).jpg20211109_170008 (resized).jpg20211109_170041 (resized).jpg20211109_170041 (resized).jpg

#471 2 years ago

Hi all,
Wondering if anyone else has come across the factory wire loom color coding being different to the manual for the diverter and magnet disc?
Unsure if it's a printing error or a wiring error from the factory at this point. Would appreciate if anyone can confirm the coloring of their magnadisc and diverter magnet wires?
I have white/green and white/brown to magent disc and blue and blue/white to diverter magnet however, the opposite is specified in the manual.
Also wondering if either magnet will register the "skill shot". At the moment, only the diverter magnet is registering the skill shot.
[quoted image][quoted image]

My wiring looks like yours on the disc magnet

9D321AF6-9DBB-461A-BAB9-A093D6633101 (resized).jpeg9D321AF6-9DBB-461A-BAB9-A093D6633101 (resized).jpeg

Yes the disc registers the skill shot. I actually didn’t know that the diverter magnet does guess I’m never skillful enough to pull that off

#472 2 years ago

Hi all,
[quoted image][quoted image]

The manual is wrong. !!!! Nice one sega...

Twister MAG2 is the disc, MAG1 is the diverter. This is stated in my install instructions aswell.

MAG2 is the 'main' magnet and if that isnt working or disconnected then MAG1 wont work correctly either. The board has to initialise itself and uses MAG2 to do this.

#473 2 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

[quoted image]
Yes the disc registers the skill shot. I actually didn’t know that the diverter magnet does guess I’m never skillful enough to pull that off

Thanks for that. Looks like the Twister manual is wrong.

Quoted from ypurchn:

[quoted image]

Thanks for the photos. Appreciate you taking the time. I think mine was registering the skill shot because of incorrect wiring so the "impossible shot" isn't really a thing now

#474 2 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

The manual is wrong. !!!! Nice one sega...
Twister MAG2 is the disc, MAG1 is the diverter. This is stated in my install instructions aswell.
MAG2 is the 'main' magnet and if that isnt working or disconnected then MAG1 wont work correctly either. The board has to initialise itself and uses MAG2 to do this.

Thanks for confirming this. The Sega manual could certainly lead some people astray that's for sure!

#475 2 years ago

Thanks for that. Looks like the Twister manual is wrong.

Thanks for the photos. Appreciate you taking the time. I think mine was registering the skill shot because of incorrect wiring so the "impossible shot" isn't really a thing now

Yes I wondered how you got from the flippers to the magnet diverter without hitting another switch that would cancel the skill shot

#476 2 years ago

These parts are claimed
I don’t feel right selling these given their condition. Price is free + shipping costs + use at your own risk.

#477 2 years ago

For anyone whose disc motor is about to crack on the bottom - or already has (I noticed someone here in the club posted a pic of their motor spindle completely worn right trough the bore!) - I think I've come up with a reasonable fix:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twister-motor-cracked-pending-self-destruct-is-it-possible-to-fix#post-6605887

Given the force of the balls pounding directly onto the spindle point when they drop onto the magdisc, it seems like this failure is all but inevitable, so might be worth a look.

Quoted from ypurchn:

I have a poor condition topper fan and poor condition magnet board for free to a good home.

If nobody has an urgent better claim on the magnet board, I'll take it. I have a morbid fascination with "ugly but functional" and it could be a handy spare, or fun challenge.

4 months later
#478 2 years ago

I enjoyed the Club

20220324_190407 (resized).jpg20220324_190407 (resized).jpg20220324_202144 (resized).jpg20220324_202144 (resized).jpg
4 months later
#479 1 year ago

Hi. Can someone tell me when the loop magnet on top of playfield get activated? thank you

#480 1 year ago
Quoted from Santis:

Hi. Can someone tell me when the loop magnet on top of playfield get activated? thank you

It should get activated when you hit a lit wind shot(left or right orbit). It should not grab when you hit a unlit one.

#481 1 year ago
Quoted from Gunnut40:

It should get activated when you hit a lit wind shot(left or right orbit). It should not grab when you hit a unlit one.

Thank you!!!

#482 1 year ago

Gunnut40 Fuse was blown. Now fully working thanks again

#483 1 year ago

Art blades? - do they exist for Twister? I haven't found anyone making them - already checked Tilt Graphics, Wizblades, etc.
Thanks in advance for any help!

#484 1 year ago
Quoted from cpiel:

Art blades? - do they exist for Twister? I haven't found anyone making them - already checked Tilt Graphics, Wizblades, etc.

Haven’t ever seen any. Someone get to crack a lacking!

#485 1 year ago
Quoted from cpiel:

https://www.retrorefurbs.com/shop/twister-pinball-sideblades/

#487 1 year ago
Quoted from cpiel:

Hey thanks so much Ricbec!

No sweat mate, I only knew they existed as I just bought a twister pin off a mate who said he had just ordered blades for it, still waiting for them to arrive, but glad I could help.....I can see several orders being placed by members here real soon

#488 1 year ago
Quoted from cpiel:

Hey thanks so much Ricbec!

Retro refurbs seems to be very hit or miss on service and quality. Id do a pinside search on them and see what you think before jumping out and ordering

#489 1 year ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

Retro refurbs seems to be very hit or miss on service and quality. Id do a pinside search on them and see what you think before jumping out and ordering

I will be able to let people know what they are like when they arrive

#490 1 year ago

Had this happen to my game on location recently. A good size chuck of the plastic to the left of the drop target broke off and managed to make it's way into/in front of the target and was poking out like a shark fin. Must have been continued to be played until two balls got stuck in the area missing the plastic.

Does anyone know where to find more plastics?

IMG_20220829_070006 (resized).jpgIMG_20220829_070006 (resized).jpg
#491 1 year ago

Okay guys, I've fallen head over heels for my new twister machine....sound is great but I'd live more punch

Can any of you guys recommend a speaker upgrade kit that will get the Max performance and thump without also ùpgrading the sound board?

#492 1 year ago
Quoted from drypaint:

Had this happen to my game on location recently. A good size chuck of the plastic to the left of the drop target broke off and managed to make it's way into/in front of the target and was poking out like a shark fin. Must have been continued to be played until two balls got stuck in the area missing the plastic.
Does anyone know where to find more plastics?
[quoted image]

I’m dealing with the same plastic issue. Balls will get stuck in that area. Needs some kind of protection.

#493 1 year ago

Hi. I got a set a time ago in Germany.Pinball center. Good luck.

#494 1 year ago
Quoted from Ricbec:

Okay guys, I've fallen head over heels for my new twister machine....sound is great but I'd live more punch
Can any of you guys recommend a speaker upgrade kit that will get the Max performance and thump without also ùpgrading the sound board?

If i recall correctly, the factory tried to save a few bucks and only installed a single sound channel on the board, even though it was made with the traces for stereo. There is an inexpensive kit you can buy that allows you to add in the stereo circuit and run two upper speakers. Not much to it if you know how to solder. You should start there first. Look on the Marco website...that is where I got mine.

#495 1 year ago
Quoted from Manimal:

If i recall correctly, the factory tried to save a few bucks and only installed a single sound channel on the board, even though it was made with the traces for stereo. There is an inexpensive kit you can buy that allows you to add in the stereo circuit and run two upper speakers. Not much to it if you know how to solder. You should start there first. Look on the Marco website...that is where I got mine.

Cheers, thanks for the heads up, found the amp upgrade kit at marco

Marco don't have the extra speaker and associated wiring....do I need to buy that in kit form also?

#496 1 year ago
Quoted from Ricbec:

Cheers, thanks for the heads up, found the amp upgrade kit at marco
Marco don't have the extra speaker and associated wiring....do I need to buy that in kit form also?

No, I bought a nice speaker set and they are very easy to wire in yourself.

#497 1 year ago

What’s up fellow storm chasers!

Picked up a super nice unit with all the typical issues the biggest of which I need your knowledge on.

One of the spinner drive gears is shot. What’s the solution here?

99BF7B57-BD03-4DC9-846E-6193C3392A18 (resized).jpeg99BF7B57-BD03-4DC9-846E-6193C3392A18 (resized).jpegD70BF555-8430-4144-BA7E-8BAC95266B39 (resized).jpegD70BF555-8430-4144-BA7E-8BAC95266B39 (resized).jpeg
#498 1 year ago
Quoted from Mikedenton49:

One of the spinner drive gears is shot. What’s the solution here?

I assume it's this gear?
gear (resized).pnggear (resized).png

I don't have my game anymore, but all gears have a standard pitch (those look like 48 pitch). If you can take the mech apart and take some measurements (thickness and diameter of gear, tooth length, number of teeth, if there's a boss that extends beyond the gear I'll need that measured too) I'd be happy to model a replacement. A 3d printed version may hold up, but so long as you have a model you could always get a metal one 3d printed on either shapeways or xometry.

But also the gottlieb spinner looks like the same gears. Wonder if you could contact Marco and just buy that brown gear so you're not having to buy the whole assembly?
gottlieb spinner (resized).pnggottlieb spinner (resized).png

#499 1 year ago

Yeah that’s the one alright. And I’ll be danged if that doesn’t appear to be the exact same setup on the Gottlieb. Interesting solution. Hmm. Let me see if can get this thing apart.

Thanks bud!

#500 1 year ago

Not sure why it wasn’t there last time I looked. But this appears to be the correct assembly. 130 bucks for a gear. Dang.

2188FF63-29CE-49F5-B8E1-204617DAED8D (resized).jpeg2188FF63-29CE-49F5-B8E1-204617DAED8D (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 23.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 570 posts in this topic. You are on page 10 of 12.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/everybody-underground-now-twister-club/page/10 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.