(Topic ID: 1260)

Ever wonder why your boards look burned?

By HHaase

13 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sealclubber.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 13 years ago

Modern machines draw 8A from the wall at the most. How do the GI lamps alone draw 15A? This I never understood. I know that four #44 bulbs is equal to one Amp and my machine has over 120 of these bulbs which would equal 30 amps. Where does all that power come from?

#10 13 years ago

I believe you hit it on the head Superman. They aren't 110v bulbs. Thank you. The amps may be high but since the volts are low the wattage is lower than if they were 100v. Plus they are DC. So it has to be converted from AC by the Bridge rectifiers.

So lets say 40 GI bulbs in an old Stern Seawitch. The other 75 or so are Feature Lamps. 40 x 250mA = 10 Amps x 5vDC = 50 watts DC. Convert the DC to AC to find the draw on the outlet. 50 watts DC /110v AC < .5 Amps of current draw from the outlet I believe. Someone let me know if my math is wrong.

#12 13 years ago

Pretty much all my knowledge about electrical stuff comes from working on my pins so there is a bunch of the theory or whatever I don't get yet.

2 weeks later
    #30 13 years ago

Man, sorry to hear about the bad GI circuit. Hopefully the LEDs will stop the problem.

#32 13 years ago

I should order some LEDs.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sealclubber.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ever-wonder-why-your-boards-look-burned?tu=sealclubber and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.