(Topic ID: 1260)

Ever wonder why your boards look burned?

By HHaase

13 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 13 years ago

Interesting post. I was just talking to someone yesterday how you could easily "cool down" your game (Bally/Williams 1990-99) a little by setting adjustment A1->GI Power saver to 2 minutes and the GI power save level to 4. I was wondering how much draw this takes from the GI circuits. Could there be a mod to durn it down even more? I don't need attractive lights in my gameroom -> it makes things hotter and my electricity bill higher (and what about global warming?)

I have also wondered about leds. The thing is that I really dislike the look of leds in my games. They are too "cold" or "white" for my taste. I really like the look of incandescent bulbs. But an idea could be to replace the GI lights in the backbox with LEDs, those lights make up a third of game's GI lighting!

By the way, did you know guys know this little trivia about the Playfield power boards in Sega and Data East games:

MRB and PPB boards were used as intermediate locations for power and ground to be distributed to the playfield for the flashlamps and coils. Laser War and Secret Service used a "MRB" board. The term "MRB" means "Marshmallow Roasting Board". Starting with Torpedo Alley, this board was upgraded and called the "PPB" (officially "Playfield Power Board", but the unofficial name was the "Popcorn Popper Board"). These boards had these nicknames because they could get so hot, marshmallows or popcorn could be cooked on them (this is why cold solder joints are such a problem with these boards).

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider robin.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ever-wonder-why-your-boards-look-burned?tu=robin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.