Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by PersonX99
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I wanted to share this experiment as it has so far been quite positive:

I read somewhere that you can remove surface scratches in glass with ordinary paste wax.
    I gave it a try on a few of my pins. It really does work. Doesn't seem to work on deeper scratches but the shallow ones are GONE.

I took the glass out and set it on a old cotton sheet. I cleaned it will a quality glass cleaner and then applied a paste wax with a 10" orbital buffer. Dry to haze, buff off the wax and polish. Repeated on the other side. It leaves the glass very smooth to the touch.

Anyone else try this with good results?

The down side is that if you have a cat that like to walk on the machine, they are likely to slip and slide a bit and in some cases, fall off. For older cats, this could be disasterous.

#2 11 years ago

Now I want a cat.

#3 11 years ago

I do my car windows when I wax, but that is for rain run off..

#4 11 years ago

I can hear PETA: Stop the inhuman waxing of pinball glass! 1 billion cats die in basement arcades alone!
    Jokes aside, thats a great idea!

#5 11 years ago

I use Rain-X, the rain just beads right off.

#6 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

+1 that stuff is amazing!

#7 11 years ago

I tried it once but the hair kept growing back. Oh you said glass ! LOL

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from mitchelwb:

Now I want a cat.

Lol!

#9 11 years ago

If you use Maquires swirl remover, DA sander w/ 2000 grit pad and spend some time working it, it will take out the heavier scratches as well.

#10 11 years ago

Anytime I wax my machines I use whats left on the rags to wax both sides of the glass. It sure helps hide the small scratches on the glass. Since I've started using Carnauba on my playfields I use the Milwax on all exterior metal and to remove stubborn gunk on the glass.

#11 11 years ago

I though you guys were joking.

Glass is very hard. To polish out scratches you need an abrasive like Cerium Oxide.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

I though you guys were joking.
    Glass is very hard. To polish out scratches you need an abrasive like Cerium Oxide.

I don't think it necessarily polishes them out as much as it just fills it in, allows a little less "random" light transmission, and makes fine scratches a little less noticeable. Kind of like using oil on wood furniture.

#13 11 years ago

And, of course, at $25 a sheet for brand new glass, I would not spend a bunch of time trying to polish out scratches.....

#14 11 years ago

Wax will fill in the defects and give an appearance of removal, but not actually remove them. That's still a cool trick.

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Wax will fill in the defects and give an appearance of removal, but not actually remove them. That's still a cool trick.

Thats what I go for, the wax does a great job filling and hiding those stubborn little scratches. I don't think I'd go to the time expense of trying to polish down the glass to "Remove" the scratches, seems like a lot of work but hey if it can be salvaged and you got the time go for it!

#16 11 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

off the glass, or off the cat?

#17 11 years ago

I have deeper scratches on my RFM. That glass is more expensive to replace. Fortunately, its not too bad why the game is on.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ever-try-waxing-your-glass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.