(Topic ID: 204837)

Have You Ever Purchased a NIB Pin (with poll)?

By jeffspinballpalace

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Have you ever purchased a NIB pinball machine?”

• Never 70 votes
      15%
    • More than 8 years ago (prior to 2010) 15 votes
      3%
    • Within the last 8 years ago (beginning 2010) 16 votes
      3%
    • Within the last 5 years ago (beginning 2013) 48 votes
      10%
    • Within the last 3 years ago (beginning 2015) 92 votes
      20%
    • Within the past year (2017) 161 votes
      35%
    • Planning to next year (2018) 45 votes
      10%
    • Hope to sometime in the future (beyond 2019) 15 votes
      3%

(Multiple choice - 462 votes by 336 Pinsiders)

#1 6 years ago

If you've purchased and received a new pinball machine from a manufacturer or distributor that came packaged in box or crate (NIB), this poll is for you. If you bought NIB pin that was purchased for a show and it was sold to you afterwards as a special, consider that to be a NIB purchase. However, buying a one-owner home use only (HUO) game does not count as NIB purchase, sorry. This poll intends to explore the impact of BUYING a new in box (NIB) pinball machine over time.

Select as many boxes that apply (if you purchased at least one NIB game within the past 3 years and another one that was more than 5 years ago, you would check at least those 2 boxes. If you bought 10 NIB games last week, you would check at least one box). Look for sister poll tracking current status of those NOOBS.

#2 6 years ago

Most of mine were NIB.

LTG : )

#3 6 years ago

DISE 2 months ago, love it.

#4 6 years ago

IMVE a few years ago,then AS and SW this year. Love them! No regrets.

#5 6 years ago

Monopoly in 2001 then TSPP in 2005 and the last one Metallica in 2013.

#6 6 years ago

Avatar le, star wars pro and star trek premium - nib.

#7 6 years ago

Yes, a few, maybe I pay more but I'm not risking a back injury, also my suv won't fit a pin unless the head is removed.

I admit I'm getting too old to pick up ,transport ( barrow some one else car) and then bring downstairs. Also my wife has put the kabash on it and asking for help from the kids.

#8 6 years ago

I only started collecting just over a year ago and my first 3 pins were NIB (out of 4). I plan on buying at least 1 NIB next year too.

#9 6 years ago

My first pin was a NIB Metallica, I luckily had no issues with it. Since then, the more educated I get, I tend to collect Older Williams games... DMD 4life lol

#10 6 years ago

I've had over 20 pins come and go, but never a NIB. I thought Tron would be the theme to finally push me over the edge, but I have just never been able to pull the trigger as I just couldn't justify the cost. With the price increases I fear the window for me buying NIB has probably already closed.

#11 6 years ago

Years gone past, we would buy one or two NIB each year. We buy what we like from any manufacturer. Cost is becoming a factor so next year probably one only.

#12 6 years ago

ST pro and Alien standard. First one I unboxed solo. cool, but second was more fun to let the box sit there a while till some friends could come and share the experience.

#13 6 years ago

My first and only new Pin, No Good Gofer NIB 1850.

#15 6 years ago

Reason for using 8 years in the poll is that people average 7-8 years in a hobby before moving on. Some leave quicker and some of the old timers purchased NIB games before 2010. My only nib games have been Shrek, TronLE, IM, WOZ, AC/DC, Hobbit, RZSSI and Alien. First four are now gone, the final four remain.

#16 6 years ago

I have mixed feelings about NIB. I have bought 2 (3) if I count the Floor Model Shrek. Both times I ordered early and I was one of the later deliveries, I also felt like a beta tester both times (MMR and GBPremium) Its tough to wait basically a year or longer to get a semi finished or buggy product. I still have MMR and GB and they both have gotten better over time, but I feel that I might have been better served to buy a nice HUO one.

#17 6 years ago

I have bought quite a few NIB pins, with the last one being Dialed In LE. While I had a great experience with DI, I'm probably done buying NIB.

#18 6 years ago

Had pinball at home since 2002. WOZ rr was my first in August this year.Can’t see it ever leaving - love it!

#19 6 years ago

Met Pro this past summer is the only NIB I’ve purchased. Might have to ad a GoT Pro if I can’t find a used one sometime next year.

#20 6 years ago

I've only had three NIB's...one in December of 2003, one in January of 2016 and one about a month and half ago. Although my IMVE was practically a NIB...even showed up in its original box...but technically no.

#21 6 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Most of mine were NIB.

Have many NIB EMs did you buy over the years?

#22 6 years ago

can I choose no comment

#23 6 years ago

Never have and never will. Complete waste of money if you ask me ! Better to buy HUO if you want a like new pin.

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Never have and never will. Complete waste of money if you ask me !

Yeah but that's Canadian monies which are super high.

#25 6 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Have many NIB EMs did you buy over the years?

None for me.

Uncrated many at my Father's arcade.

LTG : )

#26 6 years ago

Iron Maiden will be my 1st.
    Please don't fuck this up Uncle Gary.

#27 6 years ago

Medieval Madness 1997
    Revenge From Mars 1999
    Star Wars: Episode 1 1999
    Monopoly 2001
    Star Trek LE 2013
    Americas Most Haunted 2016
    Batman 66 LE 2017

Sold SW:E1, Monopoly, AMH. Still have the others. Medieval and Batman will probably never leave.

Elvira or Toy Story is likely to be my next NIB purchase.
    After that, hard to imagine a theme I'd be willing to spend the money on or give up a space for.

#28 6 years ago

In the past year and a half I bought MMr, GB, WOZ RR, TH Smaug, and DI LE all NIB. In the next year I plan to buy Stern SW, JJPOTC LE and hopefully I'll get to finally purchase TBL. I love my "limited" edition JJP pins!

#29 6 years ago

Mmr this year, jj potc next. Maybe a tna also

#30 6 years ago

Just got in this hobby early this year and my first nib was Metallica pro, then a few months later I had to have a Hobbit le. I’m happy with both and plan to buy another soon, just can’t make up my mind on which one.

#31 6 years ago

Kind of look at it like buying a new car off the dealer lot. You lose 30% of the value as soon as you drive it away. Just my 2 cents.

That said, I need people to buy the new cars so I can buy the used ones when they get bored

#32 6 years ago

TNA will be my first box opening experience.

#33 6 years ago

I bought my first NIB this year! AFMrLE #267. I have been collecting for 20 years. Just could not justify the cost for NIB til the AFMr le convinced me it was time. Wonder what Ill get in the next 20 years?

#34 6 years ago

Got a Ghostbusters (Premium)-le love the game yes it's hard. My 1st new in box experience have the pallet on the burn pile for the winter. Had money to get this only because i had sold some other stuff non pinball and had been planing to buy a different machine that was very close in price but machine went to someone else. Yet another case of seller didn't take me seriously. But at this price it does still bother me that i could of had 2 other nice games for the price of one. Probably the only time game theme and having the money in place come together at same time. My guess is it may not happen again a new in box with the continued price increases doesn't fit my budget. Used projects work better for my wallet and i enjoy working on them.

#35 6 years ago

So far, there hasn't been a title that has impressed me enough with an attractive enough price. There have been titles that have impressed me, and there have been titles with somewhat attractive pricing, but so far the two have not met yet on the same game.

If I really want a title badly enough, I can wait until it shows up later on the secondary market. Some people cycle through NIB games fairly rapidly.

#36 6 years ago

Every single pinball machine out there was at some point NIB, yes all of them. So I don’t get the point of this poll. If no one buys them NIB then there won’t be any used ones to buy........

I got these NIB
    The Simpsons Pinball Party
    Star Trek LE
    Ghostbusters LE
    The Hobbit Smaug
    The Wizard of Oz RR 2.0
    Metallica Premium
    Medieval Madness Remake LE
    Games of Thrones LE
    Attack from Mars Remake LE
    Total Nucal Annihilation (Future)
    Pirates of the Caribbean (Future)

#37 6 years ago

I have only so far gotten 3 games NIB my walking dead Pro(2015),Metallica pro (2016), and Game of thrones Premium(2016).I also will be getting an Aerosmith Le soon

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ever-purchased-a-nib-pin-with-poll?hl=mageek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.