(Topic ID: 133318)

Ever preorder a game....and then wait and wait.... I don't care anymore?

By ovfdfireman

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Craig
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago

WOw! You guys waiting years have way more patience than I do.

AMH was my first(and only) preorder and it curbed my interest in ever doing it again. I was told a 2 to 3 month wait and it ended up right at 6-1/2 months. No way I want my hard earned cash sitting there for that long. Way too many other fun things to do with it and life's too short.

Besides the wait, I don't care to Alpha or Beta test things that cost so much. If there's a new pin I want I'll just wait a few years until the bugs are out and the prices drop(most do).

1 month later
#52 4 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

Wish I would have pre ordered Big Bang Bar. But in retrospect, Gene was pretty shifty and I'm sure I would have worried every day about loosing my $$ on the deal. Hindsite is a wonderful thing...

Gene wasn't shifty at all, and his granddaughter was quick to respond to questions. Honestly, the only concern I had about Gene was that he would die during the wait, the delay became so long...

#53 4 years ago

If you can't lay hands on it, you're not buying a product - you're buying promises. Caveat Emptor.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from Fearless_Leader:

Gene wasn't shifty at all, and his granddaughter was quick to respond to questions.

Taken out of context, knowing it was the granddaughter who handled queries suggests a long wait indeed...

#55 4 years ago

I have no skin in the TH game, but it is my hope that once this game is released, it blows everyone away. As long as it is taking, it certainly should. Time will tell I guess...

#56 4 years ago

I was in on WOZ early on, but dropped out after delays and then playing the proto.
I was losing interest in MMr and was on the verge of demanding a refund...and then it shipped - and I've been enjoying it immensely. I feel for the people who are still waiting - I would have lost patience, too.
I'm in on Lebowski & still have patience for that, since we're still within the year it's supposed to be finished...and it's a special circumstance being a favorite movie and all.
Don't see myself ever pre-ordering again, though....100% when there is *no* game yet (Jpop, Alien, Rob Zombie). That blows my mind...ordering a game before you've even seen a real design, art or flipping whitewood. F that noise.

Quoted from beelzeboob:

But the SW pins are BAD. If this one's great, it won't matter about the movie. Look at all the love Congo gets these days.

You can't compare old shitty-movie games to new shitty-movie games. Most people were buying them for $1000 because no one wanted that shitty-movie game in their house. A *new* shitty-movie game is going to cost $6k-$9k. No one will pay that much just for great gameplay. Theme *MUST* be desirable in the present.

#57 4 years ago

#58 4 years ago

In on TBL, dream theme and its hard to maintain enthusiasm this long. However, I think when its obvious that the game is imminent (we are close but not there just yet) I feel like I'm going to get excited again, and thrilled when I get it. But for the minute and most of this summer been in the doldrums of excitement. I'm not sure anything other than a dream theme would be doable for me this long without losing complete interest.

Which is OK, I just had 1 dream theme and hoping it's in my house in the next few months.. So won't be tempted back into this pre order well (its dry anyway)

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

You can't compare old shitty-movie games to new shitty-movie games. Most people were buying them for $1000 because no one wanted that shitty-movie game in their house. A *new* shitty-movie game is going to cost $6k-$9k. No one will pay that much just for great gameplay. Theme *MUST* be desirable in the present.

I think the Star Wars theme probably transcends any possible shittiness of the new movie. Look how forgiving many people were with Episode 1. They were so excited to finally have a new SW film, they shrugged it off, thinking, "Eh...the second one will be better."

People will snap up a SW pin no matter what.

#60 4 years ago

i don't want any game badly enough to preorder it to begin with. let me know when it's made and ready to friggin' ship!

#61 4 years ago

Preorder my dog!I believe if you are a good company you delivers your product on time,what is supposed.In meantime you can change your mind and what you want today is not what you want tomorrow

#62 4 years ago

I did it twice. WOZ and MMr. Although I wanted to have a mob action several times with each...I still think it was worth it to get these guys "off the ground" so to speak, and introduce new competitors into the field. The pre-order model sucks, but I'm not sure without the deposit money and commitment for sales, they could have secured the investors/ financing required to start up something of this scale. I'm happy they are seeming to succeed and look forward to their ability to produce products that are ready to ship when announced as their financial position improves. I would still be willing to deposit a reasonable amount to " secure a spot" on a special pin, but I'm not payin till its built.

#63 4 years ago

I asked for my $ back on Hobbit. i just couldn't stand how long it's been... and lost all interest in the title.

I'm hoping to put that money into early bally SS and become the MrBellman of the east.. LOL

#64 4 years ago

nope

#65 4 years ago

I have to admit it, I just don't have the belly for pre-orders anymore. I don't care if someone releases a "DaveH" theme pin that serves tasty pizza slices out of the coin door when you win a free game, I'm not going to pre-order it. I'll just wait until I can buy it and get it.

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

I have to admit it, I just don't have the belly for pre-orders anymore. I don't care if someone releases a "DaveH" theme pin that serves tasty pizza slices out of the coin door when you win a free game, I'm not going to pre-order it. I'll just wait until I can buy it and get it.

Yeah...but if it had Beelzeboob multiball, you'd be all over it.

#67 4 years ago

Yep, I preordered TH. After a lot of waiting and a lot of bad signs that it will be a lot longer or possibly not even make it to production I bailed. Put the money towards an XMENLE and Metpro and have been playing 2 games that I like instead of waiting with my money in someone else's hands.

Oddly I have had the complete opposite experience with Spooky. I ordered an AMH back in the spring before the Texas show. They told me they hoped for a 3 month turn around but realistically I should expect 6 months. I just got the email that my game is finishing up and about to ship. I knew what to expect so I didn't worry about the game. Kudos to Spooky for being open and delivering in the promised window.

#68 4 years ago

Though I am not a fan of preorders. Most aren't, but, it will not die. Because when a limited run of 250 is out there, people are just too afraid they won't get one, so they suck it up and send money despite not wanting to. Unfortunately, it's a model that enough people will support it can't die.

Example: Rob Zombie pin, that sold out right away to... And we have even seen the game. Not faulting anyone, it just supports my theory.

I do however think, companies taking years to deliver will die.

#69 4 years ago

Makes me wonder why they can't simply ask for a $500 deposit up front. Even at 300 preorders you're getting $150,000. That's not enough to line up at least the basic production ducks in a row? Maybe not if it isn't happening.

Then I'm thinking the smaller companies should have some sort of prototype to show before taking pre-orders. Then you can show it off at shows, online, etc. to prove there is something legit to attract the buyers. But then again, I guess you'd be screwing with the marketing momentum. I don't know.

Regardless, opinions seem fairly divided here.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from ovfdfireman:

Example: Rob Zombie pin, that sold out right away to... And we have even seen the game.

bad example cause I am in for a Rob Zombie LE and I have not sent a dime. There is an interested list you can still get on because they expect a lot of people to drop out once a deposit is required.

1 week later
#71 4 years ago
Quoted from Charliew65:

bad example cause I am in for a Rob Zombie LE and I have not sent a dime. There is an interested list you can still get on because they expect a lot of people to drop out once a deposit is required.

I am in for Rob Zombie too.....it may not be a perfect example, but applicable. It's still a preorder, and everyone knows they will have to put $ down as soon as we see the game. Point is....people aren't afraid to preorder, they are more afraid of not getting a game. Unless you are saying you disagree with me and that preorders are dead? And that these people who preordered won't be sending money.....

In all fairness what would be the point of getting on the "preorder" list if you weren't going to preorder? Think it justifies my point just fine.

I will add lots of preorders (even with money down) you can drop out (moot point). I dropped out of Predator and JPop Zombie adventurland. So if being able to drop out makes the argument invalid....I don't see how. So basically to me anyway, the latest preorder RZ proves my theory....I can use many other examples as well, any preorder in the last year really.

Finally, I think Spooky of all people will be able to hold the preorder model because they have an excellent track record and proven they can deliver using this model, while others disappoint.

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Oddly I have had the complete opposite experience with Spooky. I ordered an AMH back in the spring before the Texas show. They told me they hoped for a 3 month turn around but realistically I should expect 6 months. I just got the email that my game is finishing up and about to ship. I knew what to expect so I didn't worry about the game. Kudos to Spooky for being open and delivering in the promised window.

Exactly the experience Spooky customers have, they have got this figured out. Now if I can just get my AMH too! I really want it before Halloween!

#73 4 years ago

In on TBL and can't say that I don't care anymore, but my excitement level is definitely subdued right now pending any real completion news from Dutch Pinball. I still have high expectations for the game - just not the actual delivery date as another stated shipping goal is about to be missed.

Waiting sucks, but I don't have much of a choice at this point. Just have to be patient and feel good knowing that I'll be getting a great game ... eventually. In the meantime, I try not to think about it too much. Key word there is "try".

#74 4 years ago

I've waited so long on preorders that I don't even care to preorder anymore.

#75 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

There needs to be Hobbit's on the line at the August JJP open house, not just boxes of parts, or I think some people may bail.

So how did that go?

Quoted from zsciaeount:

As for TBL, I am in on the pre-order, but for some reason, this is a bit different for me. Maybe it's because we are getting regular updates

You are?

#76 4 years ago

Every day, I think again about dropping out of MMR. I'd love to get past this drama and move on, one way or another. No more pre-orders for me.

#77 4 years ago

I want to be done with preorders as well, the 2 plus years waiting is ridiculous.

But yet I ordered AMH, but I feel somehow that is different, they are actively building, and they are a little guy, building me a custom pin

#78 4 years ago

MMRLE, ordered/paid within minutes of announcement (2+ years ago)...
...and waiting...
...and waiting...

i just pray some schmuck named Kevin isn't assigned to work on it.

#79 4 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

MMRLE, ordered/paid within minutes of announcement (2+ years ago)...
...and waiting...
...and waiting...

Sounds like they are being put together on the line right now, that has to get you a little excited?

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Sounds like they are being put together on the line right now, that has to get you a little excited?

hell... my ol lady says the wind changing directions gets me a little excited...

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

hell... my ol lady says the wind changing directions gets me a little excited...

I knew that was you in the video!

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

So how did that go?

You are?

No, they aren't. TBL smells really bad. I should know.

#83 4 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

I knew that was you in the video!
ยป YouTube video

yeah, it was fun working with Timberlake on that, but he's so premature... i mean, immature

#84 4 years ago

Nope. I have only pre-ordered a Stern and I knew when it was going to ship.

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

No, they aren't. TBL smells really bad. I should know.

I'm not sure you should trust your gut on this... I feel it was the one horse you should of stuck with and dumped the rest (where you could.. realizing JPOP didn't give you a choice). Plus, watching your emotional roller coasters of Supporter/Detractor back and forth on those threads.. feel like you gut needs to be taken with a grain of salt

#86 4 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

I'm not sure you should trust your gut on this... I feel it was the one horse you should of stuck with and dumped the rest (where you could.. realizing JPOP didn't give you a choice). Plus, watching your emotional roller coasters of Supporter/Detractor back and forth on those threads.. feel like you gut needs to be taken with a grain of salt

He didn't say anything about his gut? I thought he was replying to me, and the lack of updates on TBL, as someone else claimed that "we are getting regular updates", which doesn't appear to be the case.

Edit: I see what you mean by him going with his gut, as he said TBL smells really bad.

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from sd_tom:

feel like you gut needs to be taken with a grain of salt

No doubt about it

Believe me Tom, I wish i had the money I left on the table with Jpop sitting in TBL right now!

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Edit: I see what you mean by him going with his gut, as he said TBL smells really bad.

Sorry should of said nose

#89 4 years ago

I am going to offer up my spot if someone wants to buy it at cost ($8k plus shipping). It's not because of the wait but for other reasons that have just arisen. I am on the road right now, so I won't post a formal ad until I get home. If anyone wants to PM me about it in the meantime, I'll respond as soon as I get the chance. I am told that you can have your choice of trim colors. I picked black, which is why I have not yet received it. I ordered in the first half hour and paid in full in July of last year, so my turn ought to be getting close. (Famous last words, I know!)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 27.50
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside