(Topic ID: 133318)

Ever preorder a game....and then wait and wait.... I don't care anymore?

By ovfdfireman

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 60 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Craig
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

Ever Pre order a new game, and wait for so long, that you are no longer excited, maybe even wish you didn't order it at all? Your mojo is gone?

I have, I think anytime I wait more than a year, my thunder is gone.

I will also add as long as there is excitement, preordering will never die. However companies need to get their sh*t together and deliver in a timely fashion or they will quickly lose those preorders as refund requests come flooding in, after the buzz wears off.

#2 3 years ago

IMHO the pre order model has finished

I doubt there would be many people willing to risk their $$

As to your question, yes, I did once per order, got sick of the wait, got my money back, moved forward without regret

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from PopBumperPete:

IMHO the pre order model has finished
I doubt there would be many people willing to risk their $$
As to your question, yes, I did once per order, got sick of the wait, got my money back, moved forward without regret

As long as there is excitement there will be preorders, people are too afraid they won't get one. Example Spooky's Rob Zombie pin, sold out, that is a preorder. Spooky has a good track record yes....but it is still a preorder, as is the AMH I ordered.

BTW AMH I am still stoked about! Can't wait! Quite frankly preordering is a must for small companies like spooky, they can't afford to front all the $, though as they progress they should become more liquid. Preorders "made possible". JJP, And Spooky

#4 3 years ago

Funny how close this relates to pinball....

#5 3 years ago

SEND MONEY NOW!

#6 3 years ago

I have had 2 pre-ordered for between 1-2 years. I have long forgotten about them really (well until you posted this thread).

I certainly will never pre-order ever again as they seemingly never live up to their promises on when the game will be ready to ship.

#7 3 years ago

Yes, MMR-LE. Maybe someday I'll try to grab one again but right now I just moved on to others.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Firebaall:

Funny how close this relates to pinball....
» YouTube video

Thanks for sharing..........

Think his head would explode if knew about preordering pinball machines that cost 100 times more then video games he is ranting about.

#9 3 years ago

I wish i could get out of my MMR right now.

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from aveamike:

I wish i could get out of my MMR right now.

I was lucky (so I thought at the time) to pre-order MMR on the day it was announced, but there were a lot of questions I did not like the uncertainty about such as the color trim and other what ifs. Plus at $8k plus shipping, and Rick pissed me off when I asked a couple of questions, basically he said if I was on the fence he didn't need me ( not in so many words but to that effect). So I dropped out very early and bought a STLE for less money and have been playing it for 15 months rather than waiting for MMR for 20 months and counting. I think I made the right decision.

I also got super lucky to get a refund from RAZA and Predator after they were monumentally late to put it mildly. My wariness or BS meter (spidey sense?) must have been working very well as I got out of 3 pre-orders and won't ever per-order any game.

RIP crowd funding.

My pre-order / deposits alone from MMR and RAZA were enough to pay for STLE.

#11 3 years ago

Yes, twice. In both cases I was much, much more relieved when the game arrived than excited. Won't happen again.

#12 3 years ago

The MMRLE pre-order was my first foray into this type of transaction and I can say with 100% certaintly it will be my last. Of course the lengthy delays have taken the excitement out of getting the pin, but what has ruined it for me more is the lack of updates, be it either from anyone at PPS or CGC. As many have commented before, it's almost like when we do get those rare updates, it leaves a feeling of being a pheasant being thrown a bread crumb from the Royalty.

I don't particularly care for Rick's condescending tone when he does provide feedback, (I know there are lots of pinsiders out there who are of the mindset that he doesn't owe purchasers anything). I've never received a reason why JJP requested full payment a year ago for the impending delivery of MMR yet, here I am a year later, no MMR in my home, and absolutely no forecast as to when I will receive it.

Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice.........

And yes, now the excitement is pretty well gone to receive this pin, that I am at the point of second guessing if I really want to have it in my collection afterall.

#13 3 years ago

I think pre ordering won't die but people also won't do it if:

it's a new company with no proof of manufacturing ability.

the numbers aren't limited

you have to pay in full.

Company is not financially sound

I just preordered a $65,000 car with a check for $500 that's refundable. I cringe every time I see people handing over huge checks years early for a pin. That money could be invested wiser. I also think the fear of not getting will subside because so many pins are coming out and I've never seen a case where a pin hasn't become available unless we are talking King Kong / King Pin kind of rare.

#14 3 years ago

Yep. Ordered Hobbit 11/2012.
Still waiting. NOT excited in the least to get it. Even new videos from shows does nothing for me.
I am real close to cancelling. If Lebowski was shipping and taking orders I'd pull it in a heartbeat and buy that. Looks more fun to ME.

Wish I had listened to my gut and got out of Predator. Got stiffed on that one, too.
Kinda sours my enthusiasm for pinball, ya know?

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Bigbossfan:

The MMRLE pre-order was my first foray into this type of transaction and I can say with 100% certaintly it will be my last. Of course the lengthy delays have taken the excitement out of getting the pin, but what has ruined it for me more is the lack of updates, be it either from anyone at PPS or CGC. As many have commented before, it's almost like when we do get those rare updates, it leaves a feeling of being a pheasant being thrown a bread crumb from the Royalty.
I don't particularly care for Rick's condescending tone when he does provide feedback, (I know there are lots of pinsiders out there who are of the mindset that he doesn't owe purchasers anything). I've never received a reason why JJP requested full payment a year ago for the impending delivery of MMR yet, here I am a year later, no MMR in my home, and absolutely no forecast as to when I will receive it.
Burn me once, shame on you. Burn me twice.........
And yes, now the excitement is pretty well gone to receive this pin, that I am at the point of second guessing if I really want to have it in my collection afterall.

Remakes will never live up to the hype. Why? Because nothing about the gameplay, code, art, shots is new. Sure you get a cheaper and newer version of an old classic but there's nothing really new to discuss, other than the flaws or what's "not the same".

Also hype is something that's short lived for all entertainment properties. We live in an add world. Stern is the only one right now that can hype and deliver while you are still excited. Any game that has made people painfully wait for years I can just go grab when it's out. Maybe I pay a grand more. What's more valuable? 2 years of peace and mind, or getting it for a bit cheaper?

#16 3 years ago

What everyone should do is just buy Sterns. Get bored with them quickly and just wait for a used JJP game.

#17 3 years ago

So far for me, the only place that has delivered in a timely manner for me has been Spooky Pinball. Still excited and love my AMH.

Everything else took so long that I lost my excitement, then dropped out.

#18 3 years ago

I will NEVER preorder a game again. EVER.

Except Game of Thrones...

And Star Wars...

Ah, crap.

#19 3 years ago

I've never preordered a pinball machine (thank god), but I did preorder the Skully AR-1 helmet. That's been nothing but a nightmare. Supposed to be shipped June, then delayed until fall. Nothing like shipping a helmet right when riding season ends.

I'll never, ever pre-order anything again. Nothing like paying someone for something they haven't even done yet...

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from aveamike:

I wish i could get out of my MMR right now

demand a refund if you still haven't received it yet.

#21 3 years ago

I regret not pre-ordering a Nemo pin, missed out on that but was too concerned that it was out of the country and who even knew if it might have ended up like Predator and out of the country to boot. But that does look like one neat pin.

As soon as MMR regular edition was announced the whole premise of pre-ordering one went out the window. MMR LE should have been 1001 units and that's it no regular editions but greed killed the excitement for me. It's all well and good for there to be regular editions of the game but realize that that totally kills the desire or need to pre-order one. IMO from now on of PPS does any more pins just offer one version and forget the LE and regular designation for $8k they should all be LEs anyway.

#22 3 years ago

I went thru the exact same scenario with the MMR order, waited a year and at every bend there was a reason for another delay, got totally sick of it and bought an original with a new playfield, couldn't be happier and I put in the color DMD which absolutely makes the machine, also the lightning backboard and of course it comes with familiar Williams boards that I can swap with my other "A" titles in case of troubleshooting. I'll NEVER pre-order again.

#23 3 years ago

I pre-ordered an MMr. After about a week I was over it.

#24 3 years ago

I'm excited about the upcoming Alien pin, but not enough to plop money sight unseen. Show me first, only then will I consider.

#25 3 years ago

Hitler feels the pain of the preorder gone bad!

#26 3 years ago

Yep it sucks!

#27 3 years ago

yes. it happened to me with MMR.

#28 3 years ago

Pre-ordering is an unfortunate side-effect of limited production runs, which every manufacturer feels compelled to do on every $#&* title. It causes stress, sometimes manufacturers lose money, sometimes customers do... It's a terrible way to do business, and it is why Pinside is full of drama.. yet people love it at the same time. Yay for pinball.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Pre-ordering is an unfortunate side-effect of limited production runs, which every manufacturer feels compelled to do on every $#&* title. It causes stress, sometimes manufacturers lose money, sometimes customers do... It's a terrible way to do business, and it is why Pinside is full of drama.. yet people love it at the same time. Yay for pinball.

Nobody love pre-ordering. People love having something others can't have.

#30 3 years ago

Wish I would have pre ordered Big Bang Bar. But in retrospect, Gene was pretty shifty and I'm sure I would have worried every day about loosing my $$ on the deal. Hindsite is a wonderful thing...

#31 3 years ago

The ship has sort of sailed on Hobbit. I'm not even necessarily talking about the pin, but the movie had no staying power or lasting public appeal. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of people "moving on" from that one is higher than we are even aware.

That's the risk you take when you bet on something "timely". Just look at Congo, Demolition Man, Flintstones, The Shadow, Dracula, Lethal Weapon, World Cup Soccer.

Good, some great, games... just seriously dated.

#32 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I also got super lucky to get a refund from RAZA and Predator after they were monumentally late to put it mildly.

Damn man, you ought to play the lottery!

#33 3 years ago

I am just too much of an impulse buyer to wait on pre orders. I need the instant gratification of adding to my collection.....But almost pulled the trigger on Predator.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I regret not pre-ordering a Nemo pin, missed out on that but was too concerned that it was out of the country and who even knew if it might have ended up like Predator and out of the country to boot. But that does look like one neat pin.

Oh yeah! Gorgeous pin! Happy to have one. No waiting for a code update - this week-end probably.

Regarding risk: Even if I never had any doubt about Antonio's skills and honesty (I met him twice) this was not a zero-risk journey. One has to remember this was a one man job. Life can change, accidents happen - it took him 3 years to assemble the first two pins.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

The ship has sort of sailed on Hobbit. I'm not even necessarily talking about the pin, but the movie had no staying power or lasting public appeal.

Sure, it's only a 78 year old story that laid the ground work of an entire sub-genre of fiction, with tens of thousands of books, games, movies, video games, and theme parks based on its ideas. Flash in the pan.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

Sure, it's only a 78 year old story that laid the ground work of an entire sub-genre of fiction, with tens of thousands of books, games, movies, video games, and theme parks based on its ideas. Flash in the pan.

Problem is, it's not based on that. It's based on a Peter Jackson derivative film trilogy that wrapped up in 2014.

#37 3 years ago

It takes a certain kind of personality to play the pre-order game, Woz was my first foray into it, partially because I liked what Jack was doing, but also because I had missed out on BBB back in 2004, turned out better than I could have hoped, so I'm in on The Hobbit as well. I'm still excited to get the game, but my attitude is it will get here when it gets here, then I'll enjoy the hell out of it.

The WOZ/TH style prepay is dead, I won't be doing it again no matter how great Pat's game looks, but a small deposit to secure a spot is still reasonable, balance on delivery.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from MrDo:

The ship has sort of sailed on Hobbit. I'm not even necessarily talking about the pin, but the movie had no staying power or lasting public appeal. I wouldn't be surprised if the number of people "moving on" from that one is higher than we are even aware.
That's the risk you take when you bet on something "timely". Just look at Congo, Demolition Man, Flintstones, The Shadow, Dracula, Lethal Weapon, World Cup Soccer.
Good, some great, games... just seriously dated.

You're right...except when you're wrong. Your examples are great, but the Hobbit theme is timeless. It's like saying LOTR is dated. It's just not and it never will be. It's a timeless theme because the books are classics, and there is a LARGE built-in hardcore fan base (nerds!...hey...who said that? ) that will always be into Middle Earth.

#39 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

You're right...except when you're wrong. Your examples are great, but the Hobbit theme is timeless. It's like saying LOTR is dated. It's just not and it never will be. It's a timeless theme because the books are classics, and there is a LARGE built-in hardcore fan base (nerds!...hey...who said that? ) that will always be into Middle Earth.

I have to disagree. The Hobbit never came close to reaching LOTR in terms of being a classic movie. JJP's game is all about the movie, not the Hobbit book. Not that it matters but people are not going to keep watching those hobbit films like they will LOTR. Star Wars is a timeless theme but nobody wants an Episode 1 pin, or even any Star Wars pin. I think what's happening here is the pin will be better than the movie it's based on. Which is great! But it's time hobbit fans admit Peter Jackson fucked up and made a 9 hour turd.

#40 3 years ago

But the SW pins are BAD. If this one's great, it won't matter about the movie. Look at all the love Congo gets these days.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

But the SW pins are BAD. If this one's great, it won't matter about the movie. Look at all the love Congo gets these days.

I agree. Hobbit will be 2 for 3. Great book and pin, mediocre movie.

#42 3 years ago

Only go for a preorder if you want a lesson in desire crushing followed by years of contraceptive ball ache from daring to spend money on a "toy".

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

It takes a certain kind of personality to play the pre-order game, Woz was my first foray into it, partially because I liked what Jack was doing, but also because I had missed out on BBB back in 2004, turned out better than I could have hoped, so I'm in on The Hobbit as well. I'm still excited to get the game, but my attitude is it will get here when it gets here, then I'll enjoy the hell out of it.
The WOZ/TH style prepay is dead, I won't be doing it again no matter how great Pat's game looks, but a small deposit to secure a spot is still reasonable, balance on delivery.

I'm currently in on TH but I think it's taking way too long to get the game out. It's now taken longer for The Hobbit to come out then the time that JJP itself as a company was first announced on PinballNews and the first games shipped according to PinballNews...Even with the delay from the games changes I don't understand it. I know that The Hobbit weighs more then WOZ but WOZ seems to have more going on it, the ECLE's had a wood clear coated apron and direct print cabs...so I don't understand why it's taking longer to get The Hobbit out compared to WOZ. I hope that the wait will be worth it. Keith, Ted, David and JP appear to be doing an amazing job with games code, sounds and animations.

There needs to be Hobbit's on the line at the August JJP open house, not just boxes of parts, or I think some people may bail.

#44 3 years ago

Problem with prepay is it lowers the sellers urgency to ship and meet deadlines. I get paid after two weeks of work, not before.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Oh yeah! Gorgeous pin! Happy to have one.

Regarding risk: Even if I never had any doubt about Antonio's skills and honesty (I met him twice) this was not a zero-risk journey. One has to remember this was a one man job. Life can change, accidents happen - it took him 3 years to assemble the first two pins.

Great to hear. I'd love one, dissaponted that some games are so limited, I understand the reason, but ideally the games would be made and if there was good demand, more could be made. I know it's great if it pans out like Nemo, but for me it's like sending money on faith. I'm very risk averse when it comes to large sums of money, if it was a small deposit like $250 (initial deposit for Predator) that's fine, but once Kevin changed his demands to $3000 deposit I was out. Plus I've never played Predator or Nemo, that's another bit of risk because I might not like the pin.

#46 3 years ago

2 years waiting for WOZ pretty much killed my pre-order wood. When I finally got it, I was so jaded that after a few games, I didn't play it again for months. Perhaps it was the fact that I would call and ask about the progress, and always told "next month," or, "within the next 2 months," for TWO years. Had they just said, "It will be at least a year," I think I could have lived with that. But, they seemed to think it was better to keep me on the hook by dangling the carrot just a month away. And I kept falling for it.

I'm still in on The Hobbit, though I frankly don't know why. How many times can the release date slip, and why in the hell have I not received ANY updates on this for nearly a year?? This was supposed to be out with the movies... which have all come and gone and are on their third Blu-Ray iteration. I would have canceled my pre-order if it weren't for the fact that I used a ton of points from the Jersey Jack credit card to apply towards the purchase so I got a fair discount, and if I canceled, those points wouldn't be coming back.

As for TBL, I am in on the pre-order, but for some reason, this is a bit different for me. Maybe it's because we are getting regular updates, and maybe it's because I am a hard-core Achiever. That said, after BoP 2.0, I know DP can deliver a great product, and in the case of BoP 2.0, I got MORE than I was promised when I preordered at Expo in 2013. That goes a long way with me.

That said, I am done with the pre-order model moving forward. Pat Lawlor is one of my favorite designers, but I am so fed up with the fact that I've had over $15,000 locked up with JJP and the progress is slow as molasses that I simply won't put myself through that again, even for a Lawlor game.

And it's such a shame. The pre-order model did have a lot of promise. It's allowed upstarts like DP and Spooky enter the ring and compete with Stern. We wouldn't have all of these boutique companies putting out great games if it weren't for pre-orders. But, when companies abuse and violate the trust of their customers, as was my experience with WoZ and has been the experience for others with JPOP's games and Predator, it makes the pre-order model untenable.

I think the saddest outcome of this is that, as much as I loved WOOLY, and as much as I believed that they could produce a great machine, I just couldn't open myself up to another round of pre-order heartache. And such a shame, because that game would have been cool. They can thank JJP for stealing my mojo.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from zsciaeount:

I think the saddest outcome of this is that, as much as I loved WOOLY, and as much as I believed that they could produce a great machine, I just couldn't open myself up to another round of pre-order heartache. And such a shame, because that game would have been cool. They can thank JJP for stealing my mojo.

They can also thank Jpop (and Kevin). I wanted to pre-order Wooly at the time I had not received my refund from RAZA, so I couldn't support Riot Pinball. I hope that they are somehow able to re-structure and make another run at producing the game.

If I was on The Hobbit and MMR both that would have tied up ~$16K and several years (edit: I am not sure if MMR or TH both required full payment or just partial payment in advance).

In that same several year period, I bought: STLE, IMVE, and TSPP all three for $16K and change.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from Baiter:

It depends on whether the scarcity is by design or production capacity. Stern has the ability to sell all their games with all the toys they were designed with (AC/DC's train and mini-playfield, TWD's crossbow and lift-up ramp), but they don't so they can keep prices down for operators and have something extra to show home buyers. I don't agree with that decision. I think that they should go all out all the time, but then again I wouldn't have to spend $7000-$7500. I only pay two bucks for three games.

OTOH, I totally understand Spooky not wanting to overextend themselves as a brand new company on any one theme. The problem is that AMH is going to end up being the new Iron Man. It's getting a reputation for being challenging, which means that home buyers and tournament players are going to flock to it once someone wishes to cycle it out for a newer game. I wouldn't be surprised if in five years, a lightly used one went for $7500. Sucks to be me, because no one is going to route such a rare game.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from kaneda:

Problem with prepay is it lowers the sellers urgency to ship and meet deadlines. I get paid after two weeks of work, not before.

Great point. I think that is the idea - collect the money up front and work out all the details later.

#50 3 years ago

It just happened to me with the Hobbit, I got a refund from my distributor and bought several classic 80's games, couldn't be happier. I will say that if I was a big Hobbit fan which I'm not then I probably would have stayed in for the long haul. Aliens pre-ordered in full and I will glady wait for it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dayton, OH
£ 58.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Seattle, WA
$ 8,500.00
$ 27.50
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 159.00
Cabinet - Toppers
FlipperLED
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 279.95
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
€ 3.70
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Evansville, IN
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside