(Topic ID: 135142)

Ever notice how time can be a pinball machines best friend?

By balboarules

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Ever notice that time really can be a good friend to the opinion of a pinball machine? One example is Dirty Harry.. go back 10 years ago, and the machine was called a DOG, HORRIBLE, etc.. I got one back in the day for 900 bucks and was told I over paid.. now you see them for 2400 and people saying what a great game it is, and 2400 is a great deal..

What other machines has time been kind to?

#2 8 years ago

Cirqus Voltaire

#3 8 years ago

They were right about Dirty Harry.

I think the softening of opinion on various games has more to do with the massive influx of new people into the hobby rather than the years rolling by. More people, prices going up, stuff that used to suck is getting more chances from more people.

#4 8 years ago

I am with you there Levi, got rid of it I think in less than a week.. never looked back on that one

#5 8 years ago

Popeye

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

More people, prices going up, stuff that used to suck is getting more chances from more people.

"Poor people games" as I call them. JM is the biggest one for me these days. That game was crap out of the box and just as bad now, but it's "fast!1!" which excites people I guess.

We probably don't even have to mention pin2k which was such a sad thing when it came out, not it's just another choice people have with no weight behind it.

#7 8 years ago

Back in the 90s there were no top 10 lists or rating systems that I know of but if you look at that list now time has been very kind to quite a few turds.

#8 8 years ago

Flintstones

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

"Poor people games"

Yeah I wouldn't be caught dead with any of those poor peoples games in my collection, we can leave those for the low lifes and the peasants...

Losers that aren't filthy rich are so annoying...

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from homebrood:

Yeah I wouldn't be caught dead with any of those poor peoples games in my collection, we can leave those for the low lifes and the peasants...
    Losers that aren't filthy rich are so annoying...

Blah blah...just a figure of speech...no need to cry in your beer.
    It's more the skyrocketing prices of the hobby in the last years more than a social commentary. So many of the popular 90s games are basically for the rich now. TZ, IJ etc are all big bucks now. So someone, let's call them "disgusting serf," can't afford to buy them so they have to go the bargin bin.

#11 8 years ago

I would also go with Judge Dredd. Although I have always liked it I had no idea it would ever become a $1400 game.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

It's more the skyrocketing prices of the hobby over the last years (more than a social commentary).

Prices have definitely gone up. Years ago when a used TZ cost $2K a lesser regarded game cost maybe half that. Now that TZ costs much more than it did before, do those other games still cost half of TZ's higher price?

#13 8 years ago

There's always been good cheap games and cheap crappy games. But with the influx of people and money I think more of the poor ones have elevated their status.

Games like Congo, Dredd, Popeye, Dirty Harry, almost ALL the DE games...used to be hard to give 'em away.

Now they fetch the same as the "good" cheaper games like T2, Drac, Doctor Who, Jackbot, NBA FB etc...and of course everything is more expensive.

What really surprised me when I started buying again was the DE games. Except for GNR and Tales from the Crypt...these games used to ALL be in the bargain bin. Now it seems they get the same respect as much of the WPC stuff.

#14 8 years ago

I remember hearing Jungle Lord couldn't be moved and was continually being price dropped when it was released but now I think it's a better player than black knight (if only jungle lord had a killer art package).

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I would also go with Judge Dredd. Although I have always liked it I had no idea it would ever become a $1400 game.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

almost ALL the DE games...used to be hard to give 'em away.
    Now they fetch the same as the "good" cheaper games

That's because there are less williams snobs these days.

#17 8 years ago

BSD, back about 12 years ago a local dealer offered me 3 of them for $1000.00, that's 333.33 a piece. Kicking myself now.

#18 8 years ago

I remember bitching about price back then.. 1400 bucks for a Shadow?? You have to be kidding me.. oh man..

#19 8 years ago

I sure wish I was buying pins 10 years go. Boy, the lineup I could've had...

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from dung:

That's because there are less williams snobs these days.

It would be almost impossible have the same % these days compared to then. There were more players then and nobody was repping DE over W/B, that's for goddamn sure.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

I started 15 years ago. I couldn't afford what I have if I had started now.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Will people be posting this in 10 years? I only got in to pins like 3 years ago and I kick myself for passing on some of the games I could have bought even then that would be cheap now.

#23 8 years ago

Bram Stoker's Dracula actually received a ton of flak when it was released because of its "minimal ruleset" and basic layout. Since then, though, many have grown to the delicate art of stacking the multiballs.

People hated the SEGA games of the late 90s (ie. Lost in Space, Viper, Harley-Davidson) when they came out as well. However, unlike the above example, these games still are criticized today.

#24 8 years ago

Seems congo , jd, shadow jm, bsd and some others are pretty popular now and prices are up . I actually own or have owned many of these use to be bargin pins and must say they are just as good or better than the so called" a" list pins that are 4k-10k.i think every pin is good in some way but sme definitely have more staying power than others .bsd , congo and shadow are those pins that seem to be really good that everyone keeps playing when they are over.jm and jd are no slouches either and I like them alot but bc of room issues wont be long long term keepers

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from balboarules:

I remember bitching about price back then.. 1400 bucks for a Shadow?? You have to be kidding me.. oh man..

Yep that's exactly what I paid for The Shadow 10 years ago haha.

#26 8 years ago

This even happens to modern games......a lot.

IM in particular got bashed early on.....now just about everyone (including me) loves it!

#27 8 years ago

I think all of the Jpop games have really gotten a bit shinier with age. The way the art jives with the playfield in a really interesting way is pretty hard to find in other dmd titles. WH2O is a good example of this as well

#28 8 years ago

But the REAL question.. how will Rolling Stones be viewed in 10 years? Will any be around?? : )

#29 8 years ago

#30 8 years ago

Isnt that one of the more cheaper available newer pins?

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

Isnt that one of the more cheaper available newer pins?

Not really...it still sells for way too much.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ever-notice-how-time-can-be-a-pinball-machines-best-friend and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.