IMG_0390.jpg
IMG_0398_(21).jpg
IMG_0375.jpg
IMG_0373.jpg
IMG_0383_(6).jpg
IMG_0141.jpg
IMG_0140.jpg

#1 12 years ago

Has anyone here ever made insert decals for a pin? We've got this Stern Harley Davidson that was just beat on for months and months. When it came back in, our head tech took the mylar off...and half the insert decals with it. No one makes replacements, as far as I can tell. I've tried both adhesive and non-adhesive Grapfix brand printable transparent plastic. The problem is that the decals are not as clear as the original ones, and have the wrong opacity for the ink. Light shines through the letters. I can put enough ink on so no light gets through, but then it never dries. Not sure what to do at this point. Hints, anyone?

#2 12 years ago
Quoted from CadillacMusic:

I can put enough ink on so no light gets through, but then it never dries.

How about sticking a piece of mylar over it?

#3 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I guess, but it's hard...it's very easy to smear. I was looking for an easier answer

#4 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Sticking a piece of mylar onto wet ink is not a recipe for success.

I would not use an ink jet printer for a task like that - they were never very good for transparencies in general. Use a laser printer to print it - and try to find a more transparent decal blank to use. Maybe you could even print it on mylar? Not sure if you can laser print on mylar, but you can try.

#5 12 years ago

Another option would be to print and laminate at an office depot or staples. I told a friend of mine to do it on one of his machines and he did it, he created his own design and they actually look really good.

#6 12 years ago

I made a custom pin awhile back out of an old alien star. I sanded the playfield all the way down to the wood( and when i say sanded im mean inserts and all). I then cut letters for the inserts out of black vinyl, layed them down and then polyurathain over the whole playfield. maybe you could do that to just the insert. Here are some pics of that custom pin i did.

IMG_0140.jpgIMG_0140.jpg IMG_0141.jpgIMG_0141.jpg IMG_0383_(6).jpgIMG_0383_(6).jpg IMG_0373.jpgIMG_0373.jpg IMG_0375.jpgIMG_0375.jpg IMG_0398_(21).jpgIMG_0398_(21).jpg

#7 12 years ago

more pics

IMG_0390.jpgIMG_0390.jpg IMG_0401.jpgIMG_0401.jpg IMG_0396.jpgIMG_0396.jpg

#8 12 years ago

There was some discussion on RGP about using this method:

http://ezscreenprint.com/

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.games.pinball/browse_thread/thread/f60006dbf09e8ccb#

Gallery of the process:
http://photos.scriptpirate.com/GalleryFilmstrip.aspx?gallery=564947

I was thinking of trying it for my Whirlwind. I know that when I remove the Mylar I'm going to lose some text on a few of the inserts.

#9 12 years ago

Laser printing doesn't seem to give enough darkness to the plastic. I do think I will have to go for painting directly on the inserts. Even if I print it on clear and get it laminated, it would smear during lamination. But that silkscreening....egad. That looks anything but EZ. Still, it will probably give a better look than what I've been trying.

Also:

Wow, Trident, is that a World of Darkness: Hunter pin? That is just frickin' awsome. Though I was always a werewolf gal myself.

#10 12 years ago

It's based on a comic i drew about five years ago called hunter in the dark.I sent it to image comics but never heard anything so i decided to make my own pinball machine out of the theme.

#11 12 years ago

I replaced some decals on a swt after removing the mylar. Buyer never noticed although they weren't 100 percent. Recreated the artwork in illustrator and printed it off on transparency paper. then I sealed it in using varathane. It would work well on a williams, but sega/stern do not do true clear. Everything is opaque and it showed when i was done. Overall a huge improvement, but not perfect. Also you cannot print white.

#12 12 years ago

we have an old gerber edge printer at my work that you can print white on.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PinSound
Boards
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Backbox
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 5,500.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Investments
Pinball Machine
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ever-made-your-own-insert-decals and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.