(Topic ID: 235463)

Ever made a translite backlit frame for wall display?

By SimpleSam

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

14087667_818046914963290_1272481653_o (resized).jpg
    14088988_818046831629965_30607357_n (resized).jpg
    14081008_818046861629962_1326611801_n (resized).jpg
    14054688_818046814963300_1982280074_n (resized).jpg
    EC16F5A7-7A9F-4B29-BB13-E388E264B2E5 (resized).jpeg
    C9240FB0-85EE-4FD5-BE3A-57DA509F7F13 (resized).jpeg
    Star Wars (resized).jpg
    Iron Maiden (resized).jpg
    IMG_9482 (resized).JPG
    GOTG (resized).jpg
    IMG_2302 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2207 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2208 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2202 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2196 (resized).JPG
    IMG_2200 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider simplesam.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I'm interested in making a wall display using a translite. Since they are designed to be backlit, I want to include backlighting in the frame. I have the skills to build a custom frame but I'm unclear of how to do the lighting. My initial idea would be to use LED light strips using white (or maybe RGB?) 5050 strips, a dimmer/remote as a switch, and an appropriate power supply. Has anybody used something like this?

The other question is how to arrange the lights inside the frame. One way would be to run them around the inside edge; if the frame size is 18X28 that would give (2*18 + 2*28) about 7.5 feet of light strip; even at 125 lumens per foot, that's almost 1,000 lumens. If that's not enough to reach the center, I could run them up and down the frame and have a full 15 foot strip or even multiple strips. I'm not sure about this as it would seem like the lights would create "hot spots" and be visible through the translite although some kind of diffuser could be used.

I'm hoping to avoid the cost and headaches of trial and error so has anybody got experience in this?

#6 5 years ago

That’s certainly the easiest way if the translite is the right size. I wonder how it's lit.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from homegameroom:

I am thinking of doing the same thing. I would like to keep it authentic; use individual bulbs placed where they would have been in the original head and also add the DMD/Speaker panel. I'd do the DMD clock in the display (obviously using one of the B/W with a DMD translite). I think it would be pretty sweet!

That sounds awesome for somebody who is more skilled than I am. Maybe start with an original light board and wiring harness.

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from EarlGrey:

From the parallel thread:
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lit-frames-led-backlit-translite-frames
    and seeing a Stern panel, I think the ideal solution is a 'light guide panel' or an LED strip edge lit setup that diffuses evenly in into a diffuser panel. Both will give consistent lighting across the entire panel. The light guide panel looks like the ideal setup but finding consumer direct parts seems challenging. I'm sure someone with some expertise in that technology enlighten us all.
    In any case, both solutions looks far superior to simple backlit solution where LEDs shine directly through a diffuser or just the translite, IMHO.

I'll have to look at this in depth when I have a bit of time; I think it is exactly what I am looking for. The vendor product looks interesting as well as the video on how the other person made their own. I wish I had seen that thread when I googled it.

#17 5 years ago
    Quoted from wiggy07:

I made one for under $100 bucks. I posted the video and parts needed on my blog and YouTube site.
    Blog Post (Parts and Pics) :
    https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2018/08/03/pinball-related-builds-construction-of-a-light-box-for-pinball-translites-video/
    YouTube Video:

Great video; it's just what I was looking for. It looks like you are using a full (or close to full) 16 foot strip of lights. What type of LEDs did you use (5050, 3528, etc) and density (300 LEDs or 600 LEDs for the 16 foot strip?). Mounting the LEDs to a foam back so it is readily replaceable is a great idea as the LEDs can fail.

The snap in frame looks like a super slick answer on getting the translite mounted in the frame. The only catch is that they are much more expensive than just building the frame to allow the translites to slide in and out. I'll have to keep that in the back of my mind if building proves difficult.

#21 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bundy:

I have done a few.
    Total cost less then $30 each.
    [quoted image][quoted image]

The way you have built the frame so the translite slides in from the top is what I was initially thinking of. That method is not as slick as the snap closed ones but it would only cost a few dollars. The snap closed style would work well if you wanted to have just one and swap different translites in but they would all have to be the same size. If you wanted two like you have, the snap closed frames alone would be $120!

The way you have done your lighting is interesting; you are mimicking the original light pattern. I'm assuming the light pattern is different for the two translites. What did you do for the alpha numeric displays; did you cover them with some kind of blue film? I'm not seeing any power cable on the finished product; is that a battery box? If so, how many batteries are you using and how long do the batteries last? How are you switching it on and off?

#25 5 years ago

I just checked the prices of plastic at the local Home Depot and find that they are not going to be a source; way too expensive. The spotlight displays frame may be the best choice just due to the fact that it comes with front and rear plastic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider simplesam.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ever-made-a-translite-backlit-frame-for-wall-display?tu=simplesam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.