(Topic ID: 324151)

Ever look at your games and ask yourself...

By Doctor6

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

chris-farley-awesome.gif
    20221015_085737 (resized).jpg
    FB_IMG_1666463135546 (resized).jpg
    gutter-trash-folk2 (resized).jpg
    70D991F4-50F3-4938-84EE-43CC7AC94999 (resized).jpeg
    monopoly-take-the-risk-ikonick-1 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#86 1 year ago

Sure, I did that. I had 11 pins, now I have 3. They were all good games, and I miss some of them sometimes, but I filled the space with other things, mostly candy cabs. Do they bring me personal enjoyment the way my pins did? Not really, playing a bunch of arcade games by myself doesn't do a lot for me. Pinball is a much more satisfying solo experience.

But I host my arcade every Thursday night, been doing it weekly for the last 5 years, and my friends all come over for Street Fighter and the people are everything. Playing with good friends every week is better than any collection. They don't really care about the pins. Look at this photo, games aren't even on.

gutter-trash-folk2 (resized).jpggutter-trash-folk2 (resized).jpg

If I lost interest in fighting games, or people stopped coming? I'd probably sell the cabs and do something else. Unlikely that I'd buy more pins at today's prices, who knows.

The point is you should what makes you happy. I still have friends in pinball, I still enjoy it, I'm working on new mods again, it's nice to be involved. But the cycle of buying new games stopped being interesting for me so I stopped. Do whatever works for you.

#90 1 year ago
    Quoted from Doctor6:

I see you've got third strike going. Nice. I find four machines running third strike way more fun than one pin that costs the same amount. That's awesome!
    Edit: And KOF too? Man, you're my new best friend.

Third Strike one of our main games. KOF not as much, it's a Street Fighter crowd. SF6 is going to be big here, definitely running that.

I won't derail this with a big talk about fighting games, but I do think finding what makes you happy is key. For me playing my pins by myself just stopped being a huge draw for me, so the games were sitting a lot. Playing fighting games with my friends is something special, that interaction with people is a big deal to me. So I changed my focus.

What's cool about pinball is it's you vs the machine. As a solo playing experience I find it much more enjoyable than most video games. If you play by yourself all the time it's a good way to go.

But head to head pinball isn't great imo. Taking turns is fun, but not really a satisfying interaction for me. Fighting games bring that whole real time psychology aspect out, and I find that a bigger draw these days.

#118 1 year ago
    Quoted from littlecammi:

Looking at the photo you posted . . . are all your friends in witness protection?

I don't put the faces of my friends on the internet without their permission, a courtesy I wish more had in this over-share social media era.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider aurich.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ever-look-at-your-games-and-ask-yourself?tu=aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.