(Topic ID: 92719)

Ever have or see a game catch on fire? Pics here!

By Rob_G

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Arcade
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tumblr_mmhiwc7hse1s0o92ao1_250.gif
image-703.jpg
image-492.jpg
image-845.jpg
image-212.jpg
image-535.jpg
image-725.jpg
image-248.jpg
image-514.jpg
image-351.jpg
image-685.jpg
image-660.jpg
image-860.jpg
image-641.jpg
image-207.jpg
20140524_1849542.jpg
#1 9 years ago

I was going through some older pictures and came across these pictures I took of a South Park which caught on fire while on location. It was a game owned by my friend Bob and I think he did get it repaired and working again. The holes were poke in the screen for the fire extinguisher....

I just thought I would share them for the curious

Rob

sp6.jpgsp6.jpg
sp1.jpgsp1.jpg
sp2.jpgsp2.jpg
sp3.jpgsp3.jpg
sp4.jpgsp4.jpg
sp5.jpgsp5.jpg

#2 9 years ago

What do you think started it?

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

What do you think started it?

6000A Fuse (i.e. bolt in fuse holder).

#4 9 years ago

Yes, an EBD LE at an auction. It was off the entire time before the auction when people inspecting the games. When they got to it during bidding they flipped it on and smoke started rolling out of it. Stunk up the whole place and they had to open doors and move in fans. It still sold, can't remember how much.

#5 9 years ago

30A fuse in this one:

fire1.jpgfire1.jpg
fire2.jpgfire2.jpg
fire3.jpgfire3.jpg
fire4.jpgfire4.jpg

#6 9 years ago

wow , those pics are impressive !

#7 9 years ago

Holy smoke!!!!

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

30A fuse in this one:

fire1.jpg 63 KB

fire2.jpg 52 KB

fire3.jpg 76 KB

fire4.jpg 36 KB

That'll buff right out.

#9 9 years ago

scary

#10 9 years ago

Its not working... must be just a fuse.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

30A fuse in this one:

fire1.jpg 63 KB

fire2.jpg 52 KB

Well at least probably the fuse survived

fire3.jpg 76 KB

fire4.jpg 36 KB

#12 9 years ago

Here are a few.20130724_212036.jpg20130724_212036.jpg20130724_212002.jpg20130724_212002.jpg20130724_210227.jpg20130724_210227.jpg20130724_210107.jpg20130724_210107.jpg

I had a good pic i took of bally a display that went supernova, i can't find it though.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I had a good pic i took of bally a display that went supernova, i can't find it though.

bally fire.jpgbally fire.jpg

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

Well at least probably the fuse survived

It did.

Beautiful, white ceramic 30A fuse....

#15 9 years ago

Closest I've come to this was a smoking coil on my SW DE. That was enough of a pain, hopefully I never have to deal with flame damage.

#16 9 years ago

Scary.

This is why pulling each fuse, testing it on a meter for continuity, and visually inspecting the amp rating is one of the first things I do to > every < game I get.

#17 9 years ago

Yeah, I have never purchased a used game with 100% correct fuses in it.

#18 9 years ago

must have been a lot of work do get the south park working again.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Yeah, I have never purchased a used game with 100% correct fuses in it.

+1, they NEVER have the correct fuses.

#20 9 years ago

I had two near-misses on my Black Knight 2000.

The first time, one of the pop bumper aprons had been sticky, and usually when it stuck down it would blow the pop bumper fuse. This time the fuse didn't blow, the coil fried itself, a transistor in the backbox and other damage to the CPU board that my pinball repair guy eventually tracked down and fixed (took a couple of months).

Second time, the long thin board that has the GI lighting that's between the WAR lanes decided that after 20+ years that the power would rather take a shortcut through the board rather than through the GI lighting. The bulbs got increasingly more dim going left to right; the fourth bulb was getting pretty much no voltage at all, and the board had gotten way too hot to the touch. If it had been a location machine it probably would have caught the underside of the upper playfield on fire.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Finrod:

I had two near-misses

Every time I hear someone say this, I always think of Carlin's bit:

“Here's a phrase that apparently the airlines simply made up: near miss. They say that if 2 planes almost collide, it's a near miss. Bullshit, my friend. It's a near hit! A collision is a near miss.
[WHAM! CRUNCH!]
"Look, they nearly missed!"
"Yes, but not quite.”

― George Carlin

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Here are a few.

20130724_212002.jpg 561 KB

20130724_210107.jpg 446 KB

20130724_210227.jpg 436 KB

20130724_212036.jpg 517 KB

Haha, was that my Gorgar driver? That bastard filled my whole basement with smoke during a party last forth of July. To this day I'm still weary about leaving her on with the rest of the games, don't trust her .

#23 9 years ago

Seen it on a South Park (those Whitestar I/O boards LOVE to burn up on you), a -17 MPU on a Six Million DOllar Man that fried every EPROM it had (sounded like firecrackers going off in the head when I powered it up), a Stern MPU 200 out of a Flight 2000 that nuked it's J4 (power input connector), and a Williams Flash that kept blowing holes in any driver board installed among other things. As for whole machines I had to give a Viking funeral to a poor Time Warp with a nearly completely rotted neck (after stripping all vital parts out of it of course!)

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Haha, was that my Gorgar driver? That bastard filled my whole basement with smoke during a party last forth of July. To this day I'm still weary about leaving her on with the rest of the games, don't trust her .

Yup. And i eventually fixed it and set it back off somewhere. I scraped off the carbon, plugged the hole, and drilled and laid down wire leads to replace the phsyical damage. It is usually repairable, just whats your time worth =D.

#25 9 years ago

Closest I ever came - Please, DON'T believe that all your keyed cables only fit on one connector. I made the mistake of not triple checking my Taxi when I brought it home. Display power and the topper feed are both keyed alike, and in this case both cables were long enough to go to either location. The MOV that went up in flames made one big mess, but it did it's job and that the boards survived.

#26 9 years ago

never found the source of the fire...
some say it was a pack of angry squirrels from klov.

tron-burn.jpgtron-burn.jpg

#27 9 years ago

20140524_1849542.jpg20140524_1849542.jpg
#28 9 years ago

My game was in a funeral home that caught fire, it was not specifically on fire. Does that count?

image-207.jpgimage-207.jpg
image-641.jpgimage-641.jpg
image-860.jpgimage-860.jpg
image-660.jpgimage-660.jpg
image-685.jpgimage-685.jpg
image-351.jpgimage-351.jpg
image-514.jpgimage-514.jpg
image-248.jpgimage-248.jpg
image-725.jpgimage-725.jpg

#29 9 years ago

And I at least saved mine

image-535.jpgimage-535.jpg image-845.jpgimage-845.jpg image-212.jpgimage-212.jpg image-492.jpgimage-492.jpg image-703.jpgimage-703.jpg
#30 9 years ago

Wait, the pinball machine was in a funeral home? Where is this place? I need to make a reservation.

#31 9 years ago

It was somewhere in the pickerington, OH area.

#32 9 years ago

You did a great job bringing it back to life. Maybe I will just come see you when I die.

#33 9 years ago

Customers must have loved an undead theme in a funeral home.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It could have not been even more appropriate if it was TFTC

#35 9 years ago

burning cabinets smell good.

#36 9 years ago

BSD in a funeral home? That's twisted on a few levels...

tumblr_mmhiwc7hse1s0o92ao1_250.giftumblr_mmhiwc7hse1s0o92ao1_250.gif

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Well to my understanding the funeral home was on the 2nd floor of the building while the ground floor had all the "fun stuff" it had a couple slot machines, pool table, and 5-6 pins. All EM's besides BSD. The town was an extremely small town in the middle of nowhere so from what I was told when buying this game was that this was the town hangout / bar. Pretty funny never the less. And Yes I agree that it couldn't be any more appropriate of a game to have it happen to. I kept the back box key as a reminder where the game came from since it was in the back box lock at the time of the fire. The exposed part of the key is charred, and the part that was inside the lock is nice and shiny like a new key. Ironically, despite the "hell, fire, and brimstone" situation the game went through, the playfield is the nicest playfield I have ever seen on a BSD that has not been professionally restored.

#38 9 years ago
Quoted from Gundam_Pilot_:

Well to my understanding the funeral home was on the 2nd floor of the building while the ground floor had all the "fun stuff" it had a couple slot machines, pool table, and 5-6 pins. All EM's besides BSD. The town was an extremely small town in the middle of nowhere so from what I was told when buying this game was that this was the town hangout / bar. Pretty funny never the less. And Yes I agree that it couldn't be any more appropriate of a game to have it happen to. I kept the back box key as a reminder where the game came from since it was in the back box lock at the time of the fire. The exposed part of the key is charred, and the part that was inside the lock is nice and shiny like a new key. Ironically, despite the "hell, fire, and brimstone" situation the game went through, the playfield is the nicest playfield I have ever seen on a BSD that has not been professionally restored.

wow... think you win the interesting story award

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from 2FlippedOut41Mo:

Wait, the pinball machine was in a funeral home? Where is this place? I need to make a reservation.

Quote of the week.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Springfield, IL
Machine - For Sale
Auburn, WA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Elkhart, IN
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Boards
PinSound

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Euless, TX
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ever-have-or-see-a-game-catch-on-fire-pics-here and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.