(Topic ID: 299034)

Ever have a regular job that paid in cash?

By joemagiera

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by JodyG
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joemagiera.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I'm sure many of you had one-off jobs that paid you in cash, but ever have a regular job, where they took out taxes and social security and such and paid you in cash?

I worked at a small independent custard stand from about 1972-1979, full time in summers and part time during the school year, less than 10 employees tops, and we got paid weekly in cash. 10 employees, not a big deal. But the owner paid every bill in cash. All the delivery people got paid in cash. They hated it. Some companies required them to immediately return to the office if they got paid in cash. He didn't take credit cards or checks and didn't have or use either. He paid his mortgage in cash. We got a pay stub (hand written) that showed the taxes deducted and cash.

My dad worked for a fairly large company, several hundred employees, A. B. Dick (they made memeograph machines) in Niles Illinois, and they got paid weekly, in cash. You'd get a pay stub and then line up outside where a few Brinks trucks would take your stub and pay you in cash. Note, this was not a check. If you didn't turn it in then and there, you couldn't deposit it at a bank or go to another Brinks location. You'd have to wait until the following week when they showed up again. They were always accompanied by a couple Niles Police cars, not just some security guards. People would go in shifts of about every 15 minutes every Friday and get their pay money. This happened until about 1963 I believe. My dad said that when they switched over to issuing checks, there was a major uproar and the workers almost went on strike over it. They liked the system the way it was.

How about you?

Joe (joemagiera at ameritech dot net)
    [email protected]

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider joemagiera.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ever-have-a-regular-job-that-paid-in-cash?tu=joemagiera and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.