(Topic ID: 97604)

Ever had a scammer give you a phone number?

By egyptrus

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by egyptrus
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Ok, so I have a machine for sale and got a response from my ad on Mr. Pinball. First message seemed legit so I sent him some pictures. Next couple of messages seemed straight out of "scammer 101" so I asked for a phone number where I could call him. He gives me a number. I do a reverse look-up on it and it only says that it's a landline in Seattle.

Originally, the guy says he's in Connecticut so I asked what gives with the number being in Seattle when he said previously that he was in Connecticut. He says his family is there and he wants it shipped there.

So, I'm pretty sure this is a scammer but I've never had one give me an actual number to call when I've asked for that.

I haven't called the number yet as I didn't have time tonight. Has anyone else ever had a scammer give them a number to call and if so, what happened when you called the number?

Dave

#2 9 years ago

Oh, give him a call, doesn't sound so out of the question....you will soon learn
    his intensions from the phone call....never know.

#3 9 years ago

I would just call it and see what happens. Worst case scenario is you hang up if you're uncomfortable.
    I've had unlisted numbers show up on a reverse lookup so don't let that deter you necessarily.

Again, I think you should at least try to call him. I think if he was a scammer he would have backed off when you asked for a number. If you call him you're probably going to be able to tell if he's a shady guy or not.

Good luck!
    Derek

#4 9 years ago

That's kind of what I'm thinking...the number appears to be a US based number and doing a quick google search it showed up a few times associated to a company (although I couldn't figure out where it was based).

It's just that his emails sounded so scammerish and based on location, the game would have to be shipped.

I think you're right though, a quick phone call would certainly give you insight into his intentions.

It's one of those "if it seems bad, it probably is" but then again he gave a number and is pretty much inviting me to call him.

Dave

#5 9 years ago

In this day and age of people relocating all over the place, service industry field jobs and cell phones etc, it is common for your neighbors to have cell and even land-lines from several states away. People in my subdivision have Connecticut, New York City, Pittsburgh and California phone numbers. Pinball sellers too.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

In this day and age of people relocating all over the place, service industry field jobs and cell phones etc, it is common for your neighbors to have cell and even land-lines from several states away. People in my subdivision have Connecticut, New York City, Pittsburgh and California phone numbers. Pinball sellers too.

I get that cell numbers can be from all over the place but I was under the impression that landlines were still regional. I know that phones can be forwarded, etc, but I just have a feeling this guy isn't quite telling the truth.

I've tried to be as nice as possible in my responses, just in case he's legit, but at this point my scam-o-meter is pegging pretty high.

Dave

#7 9 years ago

I've known people that used VOIP service and had a American phone number even though they lived in Canada. I believe that it was because most of their business was in silicon valley and they did it to avoid long distance charges.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from MonsterBash26:

I've known people that used VOIP service and had a American phone number even though they lived in Canada. I believe that it was because most of their business was in silicon valley and they did it to avoid long distance charges.

I don't know much about VOIP, but if that were the case, when you did a reverse number look-up, would it indicate it's a landline? I suppose it could. I guess I've got to stop being so "old-fashioned" when it comes to this kind of stuff.

Dave

#9 9 years ago

I had vonage about 10 years ago and had a number that was different than what was local. I believe it showed up as a land line on a reverse look up

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from egyptrus:

I get that cell numbers can be from all over the place but I was under the impression that landlines were still regional. I know that phones can be forwarded, etc, but I just have a feeling this guy isn't quite telling the truth.
    I've tried to be as nice as possible in my responses, just in case he's legit, but at this point my scam-o-meter is pegging pretty high.
    Dave

For what it's worth, I think there were some "number portability" regs within the past 10-15 years and if you cancel your landline service you can generally now "carry" that number with you to a cell phone. And of course you could then just take your cell phone with you when you move to a new city. Only place I think you'd run into trouble keeping the number is if, in your new city, you try to start a new plan with a new provider -- in my experience they won't let you "carry" a number over from a different city to new service you sign up for in a new city (which is fair enough I guess).

#11 9 years ago

I guess the only way to know what's going on is to give the number a call...I'm thinking scammer but maybe I'll be suprised.

Dave

#12 9 years ago

I would call him if He sounds legit see if a local pinsider to seattle will inspect the game for you. Just ask on the Pacific NW buyers sellers thread. I am sure someone here on the west coast will help you if it still seems legit after a phone conversation.

Either way best of luck travel with caution every word could be used against you.
    Same is true for subtle speak of questionable person on the other end of the phone.

#13 9 years ago

Shoot_Again, in this case he's a potential buyer of a game I have for sale. He seems like he's trying to scam me but giving me a number to call him at threw me for a loop. I figured he was scamming so asked for a number and was surprised when he gave it to me. I figured asking for the number would scare him away. So far, it hasn't.

Dave

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ever-had-a-scammer-give-you-a-phone-number and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.