(Topic ID: 217075)

Ever Had A Palm-To-The-Forehead Missed Opportunity?

By Dooskie

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by 85vett
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

A couple of years ago there was a No Good Gofers in the local laundry mat that needed some love. I tracked down the owner, made him a fair offer which he accepted, and I had a machine that fit right in here at my golf course. While I was loading it into my car we were talking about pinball machines and he mentioned that he had a Twilight Zone and an Addams Family in his basement. Since there had initially been a little bit of a hesitation on his part to sell the Gofers, I didn't want to seem pushy and ask him if he would be interested in selling them. In hindsight, this was a mistake.

A couple of weeks ago, he came up to my golf course with his wife, looking for golf clubs. He asked about the Gofers machine and said, 'yeah, I ended up selling the Twilight Zone and Addams Family to a guy locally for $5,000.' My head snapped around and said, '$5,000 each?' He said, 'no, $5k for the two of them. I just wanted them gone.' I told him that if I'd known he wanted to sell them I would have been happy to take them off of his hands. He said, 'yeah, that's kind of why I mentioned it to you, but you didn't seem interested.'

I've now got a palm mark on my forehead and people have been hearing me mutter 'I am an idiot, I am an idiot' all week long.

Anybody else have something similar happen?

#2 1 year ago

Too many times. I am embarrassed at how many times I have been a fool. I am getting better though.

#3 1 year ago

We had a Funhouse half an hour from me on CL go up for $1500 with new ramps, etc ready to install. Assumed it was a scam and didn't go look at it. Nope!

NGG on CL locally for $800.. Contacted them, asked if it worked. They responded yes, was I interested? I said I'd take it, they replied 'sorry, someone else just said they'd take it'. If I'd said "I'll take it" the first time I'd have had it, for only $800 I shouldn't have cared either way

#4 1 year ago

No need to feel bad, is there? Just console yourself with your $200 King Kong find. Did you ever get that refurbished?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/more-valuable-restored-or-left-as-is

#5 1 year ago

Not me, but a coworker. A guy who works on EM bowlers with us used to have a route. He sold all the machines to us. He almost kept his creature, but, well, $1500 is a lot of money.

#6 1 year ago

walked away from a nice GOTTLIEB SPRIT ,seller was asking $500 bucks, this was about 10 years ago and I'm still doing the PALM TO FOREHEAD .

#7 1 year ago

I told a local operator a couple times that if he wanted to sell the pins he had stored away, to let me know. A couple months later, someone from out of state posts photos of a big haul from that operator

#8 1 year ago

Yeah, last night when I was on here and that $8800 Tron LE posted. Always after I make a big purchase, the deal of a lifetime pops up. Doh.

#9 1 year ago

Yeah. A couple of years ago a pinsider came to the forums with a Quicksilver machine he was having some issues with. I sent him a PM with some things to consider and asked him if he decided to sell I would appreciate it if he contacted me. "Will do" he replied. Several months go by and I am thinking about sending a PM to see if he is maybe in the mood to sell. But I did not want to appear pushy so I stayed quiet. About two weeks later I found out he sold the pin. If I had of only asked

#10 1 year ago

Amanda, Sasha, Elizabeth, Laura....

#11 1 year ago

not pinball related but I had a shot to grab a vacant house recently that is in need of a full gut and remodel and passed.
I could have gotten it for 87k in March. I did the math and passed on the risk (I was going to fix it up myself and rent it).
The person that bought it in March did nothing to it, just closed on it last week and resold it for 115k yesterday.

uggh...

palm meet forehead...

#12 1 year ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-tron-legacy-le-15

Enough said. Always a couple mins late to the party.....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Sale Pending!
Lehigh Valley, PA
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 999.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside