(Topic ID: 17056)

Ever Get the Feeling that the addiction has abated?

By damionrowe

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by kmoore88
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

Picked up (what I think) is the final piece of the collection today, a 9 out of 10 Stock Twilight Zone that had been HUO and then in a museum. This is my eighth machine and I I feel complete (my collection w/ one noticable exceptoin, is made up of finely chosen B list bang for your buck games that rock my universe). I feel good. I feel this feeling will not last for long. Anyone else been there.

#2 11 years ago

Nope, never have had that feeling.

#3 11 years ago

I'm in a "yuck" spot right now. Waiting on so many parts for STTNG, it's the most I've ever spent on a pin at once except for buying the Space Shuttle playfield...

No money to buy any good deals that come up because I decided to fix up that first before committing to owning a 3rd pin again. Think I will try and do the Shuttle swap before looking for a 3rd game as well.

I'm seriously depressed with my want list. It's full of games that are stupid expensive (sorry if this sounds like whining to all the rich dudes on this forum, but not all of us live in a fairytale world where spending 5k on a NIB game or any other game is anything less than a full year of long hours at work.... ). My wife wants a CV, I want a NIB game, and there's a lot on the market that are looking REALLY good.. I should've busted my rear and saved up and bought a Tron when I had the chance, now that chance is probably gone forever unless something drastic changes.

AC/DC is good, this x-men thing is killing me, rumor of JJP doing the Hobbit may literally kill me if I don't find a way to come up with the money if WoZ doesn't turn out to be a bomb. The Tron decals actually look amazing, and that's just like a knife in the back after choosing to pass on my chance to get one by busting my butt June-Dec last year...

It's rough really wanting that stuff and having no viable way to get to it. I'm going to try to not turn my post into a COMPLETE whinge-fest, so I will just say that right at the moment, I'm kinda bummed about my personal situation, but excited overall for the future of pinball. The release of this many potentially amazing games in such a short timeframe is nothing but a big HELL YEAH for our hobby.

I'm picking up my Space Shuttle tonight from my friend who's had it at his house since TPF, so maybe that will rekindle some fire having my first pin back in the mix.

#4 11 years ago

I'm going through a bit of a phase right now where I think about getting out of the hobby from time to time. Gonna give it a little while and see if the feeling subsides. Probably just related to the fact that it is nice out and I'd rather be outside instead of inside playing pinball.

#5 11 years ago

<<<Nope, never have had that feeling.>>>

Same here. Is that feeling even possible or is this OP yanking our chain??? I do not remember ever learning about that feeling in school...not anytime growing up...no information for it on TV...friends/family never mentioned it...hmmm...must be BS Like that Alien thing people talk about where they visited the planet...where is the proof?

#6 11 years ago

Yes. For now. Diablo 3 is keeping me busy, among other things.

#7 11 years ago

If you're out of space, and with all the exciting new games coming down the pike, my guess is you'll eventually want to sell something to make room for some of the exciting new titles (those known, and those not yet even dreamed up).

If you have the room, my guess is you'll want to add more.

Stern has stepped up its game to levels not imagined a few years back. JJP should do great things. Imagine JPop's games will be amazing.

Exciting times for pinball.

#8 11 years ago

I love your collection Damion.

#9 11 years ago

You dont have to play everyday or every week, etc. Think of it like this, "your pins are like your dog(s), they are there when you need them".

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

You dont have to play everyday or every week, etc. Think of it like this, "your pins are like your dog(s), they are there when you need them".

That's how I try to look at it. Just fired up Tron for the first time in a month a little while ago. That was the first time any of my machines were turned on in that time. Sometimes I feel a little guilty about that, but it is what it is. In a couple months I'll probably be playing them every day. Pinball is cyclical for me.

#11 11 years ago

I'd say you have a very nice collection of underrated games.

#12 11 years ago

From time to time but then the reality of my addiction kicks in again =-)

#13 11 years ago

6 months ago I decided to settle with the games I had and focus on my 2 project pins because I was out of space, which is helpful to curb the desire. Since then I got 3 more and sold 1, all unplanned, but opportunity knocks and wound up with a few on my top want list. At that point I was satisfied, but realistic enough to realize I'm probably going to get 1 more game this year, and it'll cost me 50% more than any game I've ever purchased, so I need to save money too. Another good deterrent. Now Stern has my attention diverted to their new pins, and I'm fairly certain that final satisfaction will never arrive because there are too many pins to try out. Is that a bad thing?

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

I'm going through a bit of a phase right now where I think about getting out of the hobby from time to time. Gonna give it a little while and see if the feeling subsides. Probably just related to the fact that it is nice out and I'd rather be outside instead of inside playing pinball.

Say it ain't so Jar!....I hear ya though, hang in there...

#15 11 years ago

I am only content with my collection for now since I have no money to spend and a wife that currently costs me more per year in school costs than all 3 of my pins combined. I also am in kind of a yuck phase where now that I restored RCT, I know my TAF and MM play like duds relative to what they will after a full tear down.

Unfortunately/Fortunately
    Summer is for outside time for me. I play/work on my pins approximately 2 hours per week now that it is nice outside. I figure I will get a rainy weekend and I can tear into one of the pins that needs the full topoff treatment.

I would rather suck up the nice weather now and then hermit up in my hole and play to my hearts content during the long WI winter

Jason> you sound like Dave So that basically means you had better make more rooms for some high end pins in your near future... Did you get your WH2O yet? that should breath some new fire into your desire to play.

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

I'm in a "yuck" spot right now. Waiting on so many parts for STTNG, it's the most I've ever spent on a pin at once except for buying the Space Shuttle playfield...
    No money to buy any good deals that come up because I decided to fix up that first before committing to owning a 3rd pin again. Think I will try and do the Shuttle swap before looking for a 3rd game as well.
    I'm seriously depressed with my want list. It's full of games that are stupid expensive (sorry if this sounds like whining to all the rich dudes on this forum, but not all of us live in a fairytale world where spending 5k on a NIB game or any other game is anything less than a full year of long hours at work.... ). My wife wants a CV, I want a NIB game, and there's a lot on the market that are looking REALLY good.. I should've busted my rear and saved up and bought a Tron when I had the chance, now that chance is probably gone forever unless something drastic changes.
    AC/DC is good, this x-men thing is killing me, rumor of JJP doing the Hobbit may literally kill me if I don't find a way to come up with the money if WoZ doesn't turn out to be a bomb. The Tron decals actually look amazing, and that's just like a knife in the back after choosing to pass on my chance to get one by busting my butt June-Dec last year...
    It's rough really wanting that stuff and having no viable way to get to it. I'm going to try to not turn my post into a COMPLETE whinge-fest, so I will just say that right at the moment, I'm kinda bummed about my personal situation, but excited overall for the future of pinball. The release of this many potentially amazing games in such a short timeframe is nothing but a big HELL YEAH for our hobby.
    I'm picking up my Space Shuttle tonight from my friend who's had it at his house since TPF, so maybe that will rekindle some fire having my first pin back in the mix.

Kepp doin what your doin...buy some cheap C and B listers shopem make em nice nice, enjoy em and make a couple of bucks...sell 2 at a time and move up to another title you like....in time that title will too get old and then again with the b's and c's...that is how you will build the collection and still have fun...thats how i started....

eagle eye craigs list....stalk project games that are within your skill level to fix....you can do it it just takes time...

#18 11 years ago

and further more...this is a hobby where you dont generaly have to lose a bunch of money..most of the time you can make a buck or 2, to upgrade the collection...

polishing a turd and making it sweet is a win win for the hobby....satisfying for you, and great for the next buyer who gets a real nice game from you to enjoy...

and it help your collection grow....nothin good comes easy....

#19 11 years ago

I get what you mean...mine haven't been played very much in over 6 months, but I am going through a divorce so that explains most of it...however, I was really happy to sell my Gorgar...but then I went to pinagogo last week and saw both a Seawitch and Mata Hari that made me realize mine are in much better condition. So, I am saving my money for the Marin show and will look for a nice EM. If one presents itself, I will buy it.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from Gerry:

and further more...this is a hobby where you dont generaly have to lose a bunch of money..most of the time you can make a buck or 2, to upgrade the collection...

polishing a turd and making it sweet is a win win for the hobby....satisfying for you, and great for the next buyer who gets a real nice game from you to enjoy...

and it help your collection grow....nothin good comes easy....

+1 thats how I look at it as well.

#21 11 years ago

Shoot, just got my 2nd on sunday and if anything it has fueled my hunger for more! Although the weather is turning great up here as well, so I will be spending lots of my free time at the river instead of playing pins.

#22 11 years ago

there are times when I take a break from pins. Or I just play one particular one night after night and ignore the others. I've also been known to drink a beer and just enjoy the light show in my game room.

#23 11 years ago
    Quoted from docscott:

there are times when I take a break from pins. Or I just play one particular one night after night and ignore the others. I've also been known to drink a beer and just enjoy the light show in my game room.

i have done that myself..many o times....

its very relaxing and satisfying....

#24 11 years ago

on the other hand, sometimes playing them just pisses you off...and irritates the piss out of you

#25 11 years ago
    Quoted from damionrowe:

I feel good. I feel this feeling will not last for long. Anyone else been there.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. You feel good, but you feel like it won't last long... why? Because you'll be bored with the machines? Because you'll want other machines?

I have been into pinball now for 20 years pretty hardcore. My interest level ebbs and flows. Usually, I *love* working on projects and cleaning them up and getting them going, but for the last six months I just haven't wanted to do that for whatever reason. In my 'regular' line up, half my machines are broke with stupid easy fixes that I just haven't done yet.

During this time though, I've been more into playing my machines. I'd usually spend half the time tweaking my machines if not more, now I've been spending 90%+ of my time playing. I have a PinBot that is 99% restored that needs some minor tweaks so I can finally play it after having worked on it for maybe three years on and off, and I haven't found two hours to do it. Don't know why.

I think for me, I just really want more space to work and my back has been a little screwed up lately, so bending over a pin that can't quite lift the playfield all the way up without hitting the ceiling doesn't sound like nearly as much fun of a proposition...

#26 11 years ago

Summers here. So for me there will be alot less playing and posting until the fall. I never stop completely, but it definitely tails off during nice weather.

#27 11 years ago

For me it ebbs and flows. The last several years has been a lull, but since we've finished up Pins and Vids IV and started an Atlanta Pinball League it's starting to get rolling again.

Haven't bought anything in at least 5 years, but have sold a few.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Just fired up Tron for the first time in a month a little while ago. That was the first time any of my machines were turned on in that time.

Sell me spidey! I'll let you visit him, i promise!

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from damionrowe:

Picked up (what I think) is the final piece of the collection today, a 9 out of 10 Stock Twilight Zone that had been HUO and then in a museum. This is my eighth machine and I I feel complete (my collection w/ one noticable exceptoin, is made up of finely chosen B list bang for your buck games that rock my universe). I feel good. I feel this feeling will not last for long. Anyone else been there.

That's an awesome collection. I would not call that B-List pins, I would call it "hidden gems".

#30 11 years ago

Even if the weather is nice, I still try to play at least an hour a day; it's wayyyyy better than watching T.V. IMHO. After dinner is best because it helps to digest the food.

#31 11 years ago

I pretty much only play whatever the most recent additions are and the others are untouched. I bet I haven't played a game of IJ in more than 2 months, and a couple others in more than a month. But then when I play them again I remember why I like them. Still addicted!

#32 11 years ago

I've had periods of pinball burnout. It's not so much an addiction for me as it is binge-collecting. I went through most of 2011 without thinking about my pins much. Then I played Spiderman on a business trip and thought "wow, time to change up the collection!". My goal is to buy/sell 2 games a year from now on, so they don't get stale. I just traded my No Fear for IM and started playing in a league, so the addiction is back. I'm on 3 forums and 2 mailers, trying to keep up.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from Squeakman:

I'd say you have a very nice collection of underrated games.

+1 definitely

#34 11 years ago

Yeah, I am in a non-spending mode because I am broke right now. If my bills get paid off, I might pick something up later. Garage conversion tapped me last year, and I have things around the house to spend money on, so pins will have to wait.

#35 11 years ago

I ALWAYS only need one more pin..

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Unfortunately/Fortunately
    Summer is for outside time for me. I play/work on my pins approximately 2 hours per week now that it is nice outside. I figure I will get a rainy weekend and I can tear into one of the pins that needs the full topoff treatment.

I would rather suck up the nice weather now and then hermit up in my hole and play to my hearts content during the long WI winter

Same here, the Alaska winter keeps me on the pins more than the summer but never considered selling them.

#37 11 years ago

Finally reached a point where I don't have the Pavlov reaction of buying every pin that is announced. The last NIB I bought was over a year ago. Though I think x-men is a great theme I'm holding out for Stern's new platform with LCD.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ever-get-the-feeling-that-the-addiction-has-abated and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.