(Topic ID: 76962)

Ever get bored of pinball?

By musketd

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN2193.JPG
    DSCN2192.JPG
    il_570xN.443280120_rqff.jpg
    There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 10 years ago
    Quoted from pinstor12:

I could see boats, cars, guns, travel, etc......but honestly, watches?

There's some weird watch/pinball connection....there was a guy on the local CL spamming non stop - "I'll trade my fancypants watches for your pinball machine!"

#52 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I understand getting pin-burnt ...but someone please explain watches to me.

Watches are great anachronisms like pinball. Or at least the ones I care about, Swiss made mechanicals. I get the same kind of feeling looking at the movement of a watch that I do popping a playfield, all the parts working together in concert to deliver a physical experience. My Omega Aqua Terra has a sapphire crystal display back so you can see the movement and the rotor, if I'm wearing it next time I see you I'll take it off, you can shake your head over why I care about it.

I get that some people couldn't care less about watches in general, let alone spending thousands on Swiss luxury brands, but we all have our obsessions and hobbies. I couldn't care less about the afore-mentioned boats and guns for instance.

#53 10 years ago
    Quoted from musketd:

maybe it is just a phase and I should take a break for a couple of weeks

Is your current collection up to date? That set of games would bore the hell out of me. You gave up some pretty great games. Time to get them back.

#54 10 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Hulk and IM leaving . Had 8 now pairing down. 3- 4 And that may become one or two.

Dude!!

#55 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Watches are great anachronisms like pinball. Or at least the ones I care about, Swiss made mechanicals. I get the same kind of feeling looking at the movement of a watch that I do popping a playfield, all the parts working together in concert to deliver a physical experience. My Omega Aqua Terra has a sapphire crystal display back so you can see the movement and the rotor, if I'm wearing it next time I see you I'll take it off, you can shake your head over why I care about it.
    I get that some people couldn't care less about watches in general, let alone spending thousands on Swiss luxury brands, but we all have our obsessions and hobbies. I couldn't care less about the afore-mentioned boats and guns for instance.

agree. i am patiently waiting for fed ex to deliver my new hulk any minute now, not the machine but the watch

#56 10 years ago

Not really... But often I'll find that I've wasted an hour flipping through posts here on Pinside, and then suddenly think, "what an idiot! I could have been playing this whole time!!"

I should just tell myself, "The people who like WOZ, like it quite a bit", and "STLE is a pinball experience to rival the second coming of Christ", and "There is some Pin on EBay selling for ludicrous money!!?? It's already up to what I'd be asking for MINE if I sold it!!???"... And I probably wouldn't have to check in for a while.

#57 10 years ago

Bought my first pin in 2000 (F-14 Tomcat). Second in 2003 (NIB LOTR). Then fell out of it.

Didn't get back in until 2012 when I sold my F-14 and traded my LOTR. That got me back in. Longest break since then has been about a week.

Mixing up the collection can be a good way to keep it exciting (as mentioned by others). Going to pin parties and events can keep things interesting as well.

I'm a bit of a hobby freak and do wander from time to time. But I've noticed that I always come back around to a few "core" hobbies - Pins, Movies (Home Theater) & watches. Shooting also pops up from time to time (hand guns). Don't think of it as a hobby but the family does a lot of boating in the summer as well.

#58 10 years ago

Having a variety of machines, including old EMs all the way up to modern DMD games, with different technologies to learn and repair, and different gameplay, make it so that I am rarely bored. In fact, it keeps me pretty busy.

#59 10 years ago

I get temporarily tired of everything. I hop between hobbies/activities all the time. I go through stretches where I play every machine multiple times/day, and then the games can sit dormant for weeks. I know they are always there when I get the itch.

#60 10 years ago

Nope never bored, but I have been sick for the past few days and apparently I can't play pinball when I'm sick... Nothing but bricked shots my timing is jacked up!

Disclaimer: I only play pinball on days that end with the letter Y

#61 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I have a feeling that collections with less games get played more. Less repairs/restoring/searching/making deals - just play time.

I totally agree. I am actually trimming down my collection right now. I have really centralized on 5-6 machines that I play in rotation. I play one, and when I get even the least bit bored with it, I switch. Sort of a "Flavor of the week" rotation. Some games just can't break into that rotation because I like the other ones better. Over the next year I hope to be back down under 7 games.

#62 10 years ago

In a pinball rut here. Haven't fired a game up since mid October- by far my longest drought. Thought about selling a few games- but figured better not make any pin decisions till out of this funk. Hope come out of this soon. Love the hobby.

#63 10 years ago

I get bored all the time with pinball, but I get bored of everything....

I agree with what others have said about social events reviving it. I fall back in love with my machines all over again, for at least a week after a pinball party.

If you feel pressure to play all the time, or feel guilty for not wanting to play, there is more at play than just boredom.

#64 10 years ago

I go through stages.....Sometimes I play them every day for a week and then they don't even get turned on for 6 months.
    When I moved into my new house 2yrs ago the machines hadn't been turned on for about 2 yrs I think. I guess just knowing they are there and you can play them if you want to if good enough for me most of the time.

#65 10 years ago

It's a bad weather hobby for me.... Which is most of the year in Cleveland. Yuk. Yuk. But, seriously, I take the summer off from the hobby and enjoy doing other things during the long warm summer days.

#66 10 years ago

I can see where guys that can pickup all the best pins fully restored and then play the crap out of them for a few years may get board quickly. Not saying that is the case with any particular individuals here but, missing out on fixing up games, modding them, and the hunt (saving cash and dreaming) for that next special game you've been wanting for months or years, keeps things interesting. My collection will always stay five or less, I'll force myself to sell the least of them when I approach that barrier. For me its just more comfortable that way.

#67 10 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

missing out on fixing up games, modding them, and the hunt (saving cash and dreaming) for that next special game you've been wanting for months or years, keeps things interesting

So true. I have a hard time imagining selling my Cyclone because I have put so much time into it--and enjoyed doing so.

#68 10 years ago

Until late 2013, my collection had been the same since the late 1990s. The magic and newness of having my collection wore off years ago to the point that aside from league or a party, the only time I would go play my games is if I had a friend or two over who wanted to play them. I long since stopped going down there when I was home alone to play any of my games. I still enjoy owning them but it just wasn't exciting like it used to be but not once did I ever consider getting rid of everything.

Now that I changed it up a little at the end of the year I have two new (to me) games to play and go down there more often again and it has also inspired me to rearrange the game room and work on some of the projects I had and had been putting off for far too long. So sometimes it just takes being away from it for awhile or getting one or two different games in there to refresh your interest.

#69 10 years ago

I've thought of dropping out. I don't play as much as I should.

#70 10 years ago

That can happen, it happens to me with pinball and videogames alike. I have to sell and get new pins every year or two and then I'm back. Sell off a bunch and replace with new never before played pin's even if they aren't well rated. You're not out, it's impossible, I tried it several times but I always come back. Damn pinball..................

#71 10 years ago
    Quoted from musketd:

Been in the hobby a long time and I don't know still like it, but my games just do not get the play that they would get back in the day. Any other collectors ever get in the same rutt?

Ever throw any pinball parties? I try to have at least 4 a year. I like seeing them all get played so I can find out what issues need to be worked on. It is about the only chance I can get to play mine since I have many projects going on at once.

#72 10 years ago

I've been in a rut the last month or so. Just don't feel much like turning them on. I've gone through periods of two to three months without really playing though, it is normal for me.

#73 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I mean no offense by this, but for a 3 machine collection I kind of feel like you've managed to pick 3 that are typically found to be boring on the quick side.
    Black Knight 2000 aka the one flipper pin. TOTAN, which is beautiful, but on the easy/shallow side and often one that people talk about pursuing for years only to tire of quickly, and DM, which isn't a bad game, but there's a reason that it's basically stayed a bargain pin.
    You don't have to dump them all or anything, but some rotation would probably help, and picking up something that provided a challenge might be the answer. Or, take a break! It's just a game, nothing wrong with that.

I agree with this. Nothing wrong with just 3 pins, but they must not be the right lineup for you. I only have 3 pins, but they are all keepers for me. I haven't played any in maybe 4 months but I still love pinball. Very much looking forward to MMRefake LE. I'll be in this hobby for life so it doesn't bother me if I'm not playing machines often. They get played in "waves". Spend some time with another hobby and take a short break. You'll come back heavier than ever.

#74 10 years ago

Yes, I had to take nearly 1.5 years off from the hobby. I burned myself out due to price policing. I had a lot of different frustrating feelings about this hobby. I was frustrated that I came into it when it seemed like LW3 was going for $2500 and childhood loves like AFM hit $15k (both exaggerations but convey the frustration I felt). Between the "came in at the wrong time" feeling and the price policing, I burned out. I lurked and posted here and there from Aug 2012 to Dec 2013, but I kept my distance from buying any new machines. I was warming back up, but I needed a "hook" to get back in to buying machines again.

Then rexman10 came out saying he was ready to sell his T3 for $2000, and I "felt the bug" again. I got excited, did my research/HW, and made a deal with him. It is plastic-wrapped, on a pallet, and in a crate ready to be picked up from AZ and head to Dayton, and I could not be happier. I'm already planning on 2 more later this year, and I feel so "reset" - I feel like "it's time to be back". I am making a gameroom in my wife and I's new home where 3-4 pins and my drumset will occupy the same room soon. I'm getting some neon signs, some cool wall decorations, and I may even paint the walls before setting everything up - but I feel like I've fallen back in love with the hobby.

I don't care about A-list games and my passed jealousy of those who own them or bought them when they were all x < $3000. I don't care about Stern vs JJP, or how good or bad WOZ, Met, or any incomplete code games are. I don't care about price policing or who spends what for a game or who does what with their own money. I just don't care anymore; other people's lives are none of my business. I am back in the hobby, I'm ready to pull the pinball covers off of TFTC, get T3 sitting next to it, fire them both up and enjoy the "mood lighting" of them in attract mode while I'm working at my desk - or even better yet - go hit the start button, flip those flippers, and forget life's problems.

Sometimes you just got to take a break from pinball - whether it's a day or years. Walk away, try new hobbies, but keep your machines - don't make a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

From June to mid August last Yr, shit got real..... *paraphrased by me*

And Black_Rose, man, I'm so glad to hear you came out of all of that on the upside. I was wondering where you've been. Sorry all that had to go down brother, I really am. I'm glad you're all right, and you've got your girls and your pins. Honestly dude - glad you're good. Wouldn't be Pinside without you!

#75 10 years ago

If you turn on your games once a month, then you probably need to sell some. There is nothing wrong with getting in a funk, but you aren't married to these machines. They don't all have to be keepers.

I also tend to play less when my machines have fresh rubber and no credit dots. Whenever I get new machines, they always have major problems to sort out. I spend a month or two getting them fixed up and playing to find all the bugs. When they are finally in good shape, I lose interest in playing. I currently have three machines out of order, and everyone in the house has been playing like crazy.

My Doctor Who blew a bridge rectifier the other day and I am convinced that it only happened because I already have too much to do on the other machines.

After more than five years, I sold my BK2K. A super fun game, but with my average score at 20 million, it was time to let it go to a new home. Make some room and pick up some B or C games. Titles under $1500 sell like hotcakes around here and are easy to unload if you change your mind. Especially the system 11s.

#76 10 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I have a good friend who is very much into collecting nice watches, including the really expensive all hand made ones. I personally don't get it (I've never spent more than $150.00 on a watch, and my current watch is about 6 years old) but at the same time I definitely respect the enjoyment and excitement that he gets out of it. I try to act excited for him, just like he does to me when I tell him I'm getting a new pin!

Hobbies are very subjective and personal, and they can all be considered crazy. Pins are surely no exception, and in fact, may be the best example of all.

Right now photography is the hobby that is pulling me back in (been a hobby of mine for 30 years, will never give it up completely, just the amount of time spent on it changes).

So for comparison in terms of what's crazier between pins and photography:

I can sell my AC/DC Premium and get this for about the same price:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/672200-USA/Nikon_2186_AF_S_NIKKOR_300mm_f_2_8G.html

#77 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I can sell my AC/DC Premium and get this for about the same price:

How bout a trade? This one will develop it's own pictures without you having to go to the Photomat.
    il_570xN.443280120_rqff.jpgil_570xN.443280120_rqff.jpg

#78 10 years ago

I have a new hobby called "shitty diapers & all my shirts have puke on them"

#79 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

How bout a trade? This one will develop it's own pictures without you having to go to the Photomat.

il_570xN.443280120_rqff.jpg 15 KB

#80 10 years ago

My answer is no, never.

#81 10 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Never a Full tyme woman again , 21 yr's of marriage -- between 2 women ,, I'm threw w/ commitment ..
    My time is for Pinball , Me and my 2 girl's .. My Heart rate is up just from type-n this ..

Fast playing pinball machines and fun women.
    That's my lifestyle! hahaha!

Health, Family, Friends and Pinball
    All else, meh...

#82 10 years ago
    Quoted from musketd:

Ever get bored of pinball?

Huh? Pinball is what I do when I get bored. You can't get bored of playing pinball. That's unpossible.

Quoted from musketd:

maybe it is just a phase and I should take a break for a couple of weeks

Playing pinball IS taking a break. You want to take a break from taking a break? That doesn't make sense. Play your games more and stop reading pinside so much. You're getting confused. Half hour a day minimum and you'll be good to go in no time. d

#83 10 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

When you get fed up with that hobby you should get into the snippy-balls hobby, it's much more fun than it sounds believe me.....well after the initiation ceremony wears off anyway

A lot of the pin-fun for me is the thrill of the chase trying to find a pin I can afford and want but also learning how to fix them up is a big part of the hobby for me. I have yet to start modding but just having the option to Mod is a bonus as well.

#84 10 years ago

I'm in a funk right now for sure, and possibly looking to drop a few and maybe only keep 3-4 pins. I dunno, I have a weird problem that I enjoy powder coating, modding and blinging them out more than I play them. Then I loose stupid money and roll it into the next one, rinse and repeat. I have been enjoying Star Trek Premium, but it's only been a month who knows when I will be bored again and move to the next. I guess I just need to keep changing out games each year. But, I would like it to be 3 machines instead of 6.

#85 10 years ago

I am discovering new ways of adding variety to the lineup without having to fork over a lot of cash. I purchased a pin last year at a substantial discount from a fellow Pinsider with the promise that I would sell it back to him at cost (and after at least a few months of my use, of course) when he wanted it back. I am going to return it next month. I just made the opposite deal (my pin going to someone else at a low price) with a second Pinsider. Not a lot of money changes hands, and I don't come to regret the deal. Eventually, I'd like to get into the situation in which I am doing temporary swaps with one or two trusted pinheads in the area.

#86 10 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

The three happiest days of my life- The day I stopped buying Huggies, the day I stopped paying for daycare, and in two years, the day i stop paying child support. Make it four- the day my daughter was born.

#87 10 years ago

Donjagra: All my years working on machines, I have never had a bridge rectifier blow. Any idea what happened to cause it to blow?

#88 10 years ago

Getting bored of pinball is like getting bored of Seinfeld. It never seems to get old

#89 10 years ago

All of you Guys on Pinside are the Coolest !! That was a Hell've Pinball Break for me in 2013 . But as I've heard on the New's and Else where , Marriage's these day's are becoming Short Lived , some call it Quits with-n 7 yrs or sooner ,, I will say the More i watch Al Bundy the Better i feel . And seeing Kelly ,, Ohh my ,, Need i say more .. We've All be thru some kind of Bad Karma in our Lives ,, and the Devil is Loving it ,, Screw him ,, We're gonna Survive and Grow Stronger .. Here's a vid- i shot 2-nite of Savana , my 4 yr old play-n BBBB ..

#90 10 years ago

Wishing you better days ahead, BR.

#91 10 years ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

Donjagra: All my years working on machines, I have never had a bridge rectifier blow. Any idea what happened to cause it to blow?

No idea, could have been a power surge. My 50v tests near 70 on all my machines, I wonder if the line is too hot. I wouldn't have believed it either, but the meter doesn't lie. I was in a bit of a panic because I thought the motor for the mini playfield seized, but after the test points and pulling the power driver board, BR4 tested bad. Guess I got lucky that it was a $4 part instead of $120.

#92 10 years ago
    Quoted from donjagra:

If you turn on your games once a month, then you probably need to sell some. There is nothing wrong with getting in a funk, but you aren't married to these machines. They don't all have to be keepers.

In my case it isn't really the pins themselves, it is just that I am spending my free time doing other things like watching movies, catching up on some books, playing video games, etc. That being said, once my interest starts to swing back to pinball I will probably start by changing up the collection a bit as I would like to have a Star Trek Premium and have no room/$$ for it at the mo.

#93 10 years ago

I usually focus on one hobby/activity for long stretches of time, get burnt out on it, then do something else for a while. That being said, if you really enjoy your machines or did enjoy them, I wouldn't get rid of them. Give it a healthy break, then come back to it. Between music writing/recording, electronics tinkering and custom analog synthesizers projects and builds, game programming, RC planes and cars, video games, and artwork, I am constantly bouncing around from one thing to the next for stretches of time.

#94 10 years ago
    Quoted from thedefog:

Between music writing/recording, electronics tinkering and custom analog synthesizers projects and builds, game programming, RC planes and cars, video games, and artwork, I am constantly bouncing around from one thing to the next for stretches of time.

ADHD?? Welcome to the insanity

#95 10 years ago
    Quoted from bigdaddy07:

ADHD?? Welcome to the insanity

DING DING DING! I find these mostly solitary hobbies allow me to become hyper-focused for long stretches of time and actually accomplish something, because otherwise I'm kind of useless.

#96 10 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Hey I got this last week! Pins just sit now...

#97 10 years ago

Been in the hobby since 1998, very active until about 2006, still have a LOT of parts/pieces/boards, still do repairs, most of my games sit unplayed and collect dust. Last time I recorded high scores:

Eight Ball Deluxe - 2004
    Centaur - 2007
    Xenon - 2003
    Black Hole - 2009
    Firepower - 2009

Yeah, not a whole lotta love anymore, but they're not going anywhere....

Chris

#98 10 years ago
    Quoted from donjagra:

No idea, could have been a power surge. My 50v tests near 70 on all my machines, I wonder if the line is too hot. I wouldn't have believed it either, but the meter doesn't lie. I was in a bit of a panic because I thought the motor for the mini playfield seized, but after the test points and pulling the power driver board, BR4 tested bad. Guess I got lucky that it was a $4 part instead of $120.

Would be interesting to see the immediate voltage off of the transformer's 50 volt lead. When you say the line is to hot, it would be very odd, unless you are in Europe, that you would have a 110 outlet holding a consistently high voltage. If you were to get some sort of odd voltage spikes, that could cause an issue, although, I would expect to see blown fuses as well.

#99 10 years ago

I have found that one of the best ways to not get bored with pinball is to not have a boring collection
    of games,
    DSCN2192.JPGDSCN2192.JPG
    DSCN2193.JPGDSCN2193.JPG

#100 10 years ago

Dereks collections isn't up to date, he currently has Star Trek Premium and Metallica pro. BK2K is in the collection but is being restored. I would say he has two fun games!

There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ever-get-bored-of-pinball/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.