(Topic ID: 76962)

Ever get bored of pinball?

By musketd

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN2193.JPG
    DSCN2192.JPG
    il_570xN.443280120_rqff.jpg
    There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 10 years ago

Been in the hobby a long time and I don't know still like it, but my games just do not get the play that they would get back in the day. Any other collectors ever get in the same rutt?

#2 10 years ago

Might be time to do what I did, sell them off and start again! Or you can just take a little break, pinball is always nice to have around. It doesn't have to be your every day hobby. Hell I haven't played since Xmas

#3 10 years ago

Nope. I just came upstairs from playing and first thing I did was check in on pinside!
    That is a common question from folks when they see my pins... "They take up a lot of space....do you really play them?"
    I would say that about 75% of my days involve at least a half hour of pin play and countless hours feeding my pinside addiction.

#4 10 years ago

Comes and goes. What almost always reinvigorates my interest is having people over. Pinball is a lot more fun when enjoyed with others.

#5 10 years ago

15 years or so in...40 years of playing.... hell no! Couldn't even live without knowing I can, at will, play the seductive lure of the silver ball!~SpOoKy

#6 10 years ago

Totally. Then I go down and play for an hour or so and the feeling passes.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from musketd:

Been in the hobby a long time and I don't know still like it, but my games just do not get the play that they would get back in the day. Any other collectors ever get in the same rutt?

How is that possible when every new game is the best ever?

#8 10 years ago

Was playin addams fam a lot now I'm into my bsd try some LEDs or mods that gets me hyped again to play

#9 10 years ago

Get yourself $5 in quarters and set them for $.25 per play. after you run out of money go back and see which one you played them most can cut the bottom 2. This would really make me think when choosing to play and a reality check on which were played. Looking at your machines I'd say sell TOTAN and BK2 get new code for DM. The two sold should net you three good titles to spice it up again. TOTAN IMO will be remade and Bk2k is very right hand heavy. DM would be like a new machine with new code.

Straight answer....nope never think about getting out...always thinking of whats next.

#10 10 years ago

Since owning only one machine, I go thru phases of playing it constantly, then droughts of not playing it for weeks. But I am still obsessed with pinside and fantasizing about buying another machine.

#11 10 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Totally. Then I go down and play for an hour or so and the feeling passes.

Nice avatar. Is that the current cover of Playgirl?

#12 10 years ago

maybe it is just a phase and I should take a break for a couple of weeks

#13 10 years ago

Time to rotate the games ? Perhaps a new machine might get the interest going.

#14 10 years ago

I will gladly watch your totan for ya

#15 10 years ago

Get about 5 or 6 more Derek and you'll have all the variety you need!

#16 10 years ago

I go from playing every day to sometimes going a week or more without a game...

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from Buffpac5:

Since owning only one machine, I go thru phases of playing it constantly, then droughts of not playing it for weeks. But I am still obsessed with pinside and fantasizing about buying another machine.

Exactly and well put my friend.

#18 10 years ago

It's a tough time of the year for motivation. Maybe take a break for a little and/or get that league together!

#19 10 years ago

I mean no offense by this, but for a 3 machine collection I kind of feel like you've managed to pick 3 that are typically found to be boring on the quick side.

Black Knight 2000 aka the one flipper pin. TOTAN, which is beautiful, but on the easy/shallow side and often one that people talk about pursuing for years only to tire of quickly, and DM, which isn't a bad game, but there's a reason that it's basically stayed a bargain pin.

You don't have to dump them all or anything, but some rotation would probably help, and picking up something that provided a challenge might be the answer. Or, take a break! It's just a game, nothing wrong with that.

#20 10 years ago
    Quoted from musketd:

Quoted from iceman44:

Get about 5 or 6 more Derek and you'll have all the variety you need!

And when you are up to 25 and you get that feeling, just crack open the liquor cabinet and before you know it, that feeling is long gone.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from musketd:

Don't turn them on for two weeks. Then go to your oldest game and play it 3 times. If the magic is there, go with it. If not, sell it and wait another week. Fire up the next oldest and play 3 games. Is it fun? Play on player! If not, sell it. Feel free to skip games that are precious to you. Eventually one of them will trigger the addiction.

The other way to do it (works every time for me) is wait the two weeks, and then play a complete beater game. Just some crappy 70s or early 80s beater that has seen better days. The fun and spirit of the hobby shines on those games. Not a lot of money, and they just play for fun.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from musketd:

I've been the same way lately and waiting for the new Metallica code isn't helping at all. Since your bored of your pins though how about you sell me your ST Premium. Then I definitely won't be bored! For me when I get in a funk like this I seem to look for other pins to purchase or trade. Brings the excitement level back up. I'll be on a pinball trip (buying and selling) coming up next weekend so I'm really looking forward to that.

#23 10 years ago

Havent turned my machines on for over a month. One of the biggest ruts I've been in for a while.
    I figure it will pass though.

#24 10 years ago

From June to mid August last Yr I didn't play any Pinball .. My NIB Met-pro was delivered June 6th , I opened it a week later ,, Installed $ 450.00 of mods and told the Banker to come and get it.. Sold for what i had N it ..

May 29th ( 2 weeks after my oldest daughter ( 5 ) was biten in the face by the in-laws dog ) i found a receipt from a Divorce Attorney Consultation in my wife's car ,, 2 1/2 months later on my B-day she left 4-good .. I was Stress'd & Wore out , lost 25lbs in the worst way .. I sold my Beloved IM because her Attorney was try-n to get her to take 1/2 of everything . ( No Way !! ) She left & I knew 2 much about what she had been do-n ..
    She sign'd over the house , Land & gave me my girl's & paid 4 my attorney .. That was 2 mth's ago on Nov- 1st ... It's ben 5 mth's now .

That was my Pinball Break !!! Pinball in my Life ( hell Yes ) Women ,, ,, Never a Full tyme woman again , 21 yr's of marriage -- between 2 women ,, I'm threw w/ commitment ..

My time is for Pinball , Me and my 2 girl's .. My Heart rate is up just from type-n this ..

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

That was my Pinball Break !!! Pinball in my Life ( hell Yes ) Women ,, ,, Never a Full tyme woman again

Glad you won that war bro, good on ya.

#26 10 years ago

I tire from time to time of certain titles even the best of titles gets stail if that is all your playing.

Variety is key to me. I have got in slumps for a couple weeks here or there when I did not really feel like playing.

But I always come around

BR glad to hear you got your sanity and your girls out of the deal. The rest of the drama can stay on the otherside of the front door.

#27 10 years ago

anybody looking for a HOBBIT LE for the 7500 price point lmk; going to sell my spot

#28 10 years ago

Hulk and IM leaving . Had 8 now pairing down. 3- 4 And that may become one or two.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Hulk and IM leaving . Had 8 now pairing down. 3- 4 And that may become one or two.

What ,,, What's up bro ? U still have Getaway ? PM me doc !!

#30 10 years ago

At times I do get a little bored, but as others have stated, the best part of pinball is sharing your games with friends, or your kids friends, then kicking their butt in a game.

Pinball really is a lot more fun with friends, it never gets old to me that way.

#31 10 years ago

musket,

Do you ever go to pinball expos/festivals/launch parties/tournaments?

I've had a lot of fun hanging out with friends/pinball buddies at these type events playing pinball, listening to guest speakers, going out to eat, etc.

Also having pinball parties w/ friends is a lot of fun too. Doesn't just have to be playin pinball. Could include hangin out w/ wives/girlfriends (and kids), grillin out, etc.

#32 10 years ago

I feel like I only jam on certain games - which I suppose means I'm a bit bored with the others....but I can't quite bring myself to dump them yet lol ...but pretty much just STLE, MetLE, ACDC Prem & Tron LE are getting played regularly. I'm in one of my Stern phases

#33 10 years ago
    Quoted from Craig:

Comes and goes. What almost always reinvigorates my interest is having people over. Pinball is a lot more fun when enjoyed with others.

100% agree. Or when i go to the pin parties i always come.back with ideas to do to my pins

#34 10 years ago

I get burned out from time to time. Games sit unplaced, not fixed, etc....then I get into a tear, and repair/play heavily for a good streak...repeat as needed

#35 10 years ago

Mix it up. I got tired of always playing so found a restoration project. Got bored with the restoration project so decided to play more competitive pinball and started up a tournament and got more involved with league play. There are far too many different aspects of this hobby to get bored with it.

#36 10 years ago

Funny that you should post this. I'm going through a pinball rutt in a big way right now, and it's the first time for me.

Just not finding that it's pulling me in lately. I haven't been playing much at all in the last month. Even at Robert's big pinball party (with ton's of pins) I found myself hanging out and chatting way more than playing. I'm kind of surprised as I really didn't see this coming...kind of out of left field.

Still playing STLE some, but most of the others have just been sitting.

I've always gone through phases with my various hobbies, where I'm really hot and heavy in one of them for a certain amount of time, then I get burned out, and move on to the next one. That might be what's happening with me now, as another one of my hobbies is pulling me back in, resulting in less time for pinball (and Pinside).

Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

This might be where I'm headed as well. I will go slow because I don't want to do something that I will really regret, but I might end up with 3 or 4 as well.

#37 10 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

David, I hope you are not burning out. Have you been playing too much? Try what I do and only play one or two good games a day and walk away. It keeps them fresh a lot longer and when I play I can concentrate better rather than feeling like I am just smashing shots around the playfield. I also find that it helps to play a particular game with a certain goal in mind, and go for that goal for 2-3 weeks. Then switch to one of your other games and set a goal and play that for a couple weeks.

One nice thing about mode based games, you can go for maximum scoring or getting through modes and often the strategies required between the two are quite different.

#38 10 years ago

Exactly the opposite for me. I wish I had more time to play my pins. My kids play more than I do, but that's ok with me. I've got mods that I have never installed, and a few are for games I don't even own anymore. I have also found that tearing down a game to clean, re-rubber, etc can reignite the passion back into a game I might be getting bored of.

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Still playing STLE some, but most of the others have just been sitting.

Man...if I had half of your collection I would literally piss myself. I might even pass out. So hard to imagine losing interest with that lineup!!!

Now, the OP, I could see getting a bit bored with that lineup over time, but you've got trading power there. Shake up the collection and it's a whole new world!

#40 10 years ago

45 Years of Playing? No, not bored. But like others, I might go a few weeks, or a few months, without playing.
    Some games get played for 2-3 months straight, while others dont get turned for quite some time.
    For me, I play more alone. Its my escape. Late at night, I can grab 1/2 an hour.It can come and go, but always am I looking to trade a game for another, MOD something, change LEDs out, or just change out the settings quite radically.
    What I am bored with is repair. I enjoy tearing down a machine and fixing it up, a restoration, and I enjoy the light shop job, but I hate a bug. something that just takes to long for my lack of skills to solve.

Even without a game change, try setting yourself to play a different kind of game....other then high score.
    Extra Ball first,in the zone, bonus or features.

Set external games, a certain point level or feature for a shot, an M & M. Low score does the dishes, or Strip Pinball!

I guess its just in my blood.

on the side, BR, if you see this, my prayers...your strong...it will all be good.

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I will go slow because I don't want to do something that I will really regret, but I might end up with 3 or 4 as well.

I have a feeling that collections with less games get played more. Less repairs/restoring/searching/making deals - just play time.

#42 10 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

David, I hope you are not burning out. Have you been playing too much? Try what I do and only play one or two good games a day and walk away. It keeps them fresh a lot longer and when I play I can concentrate better rather than feeling like I am just smashing shots around the playfield. I also find that it helps to play a particular game with a certain goal in mind, and go for that goal for 2-3 weeks. Then switch to one of your other games and set a goal and play that for a couple weeks

Think I have. St I play for warp ramp completion and kama sutra multiball but then I don't care about continuing. I bang out a game on ACDC and Met and then I am done. In a few months a should get HSII back and that is always my greatest love. I still had the most fun playing that and HS next two other.

I do like a new game so odds are if a music pin hits I may grab it but having a bunch of machines has lost its luster. Heck the money sitting on these last two sales just turned into a Rolex, Breitling and Sinn watch and few new Zegna suits. Sadly I am digging this stuff more.

For me the good news is I don't care whats coming out. Great feeling : )

Not 100% done but off chasing LEs and content with a couple of games to bang out down in the basement once in a while.

#43 10 years ago
    Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

Heck the money sitting on these last two sales just turned into a Rolex, Breitling and Sinn watch and few new Zegna suits. Sadly I am digging this stuff more.

I understand getting pin-burnt ...but someone please explain watches to me. I'm not sure I can think of anything more boring than watches....not only boring, but purposeless in the modern world. When I want to know what time it is, I look at my cell phone, computer, car dash, etc. for free! What's the point of spending tons of money on a watch!? Even if I was bored of pinball I'd rather buy a pinball lol

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

What's the point of spending tons of money on a watch!?

Lol, totally get that point. I think you have to like the baubles and appreciate them to care. And if you don't I say that's probably a great thing ; )

#45 10 years ago

As said a few times already, sometimes i will go for a few weeks to a month or two, and never hit the button...

wheni had mostly all DMD's that happened more than once, but lately its been a bit different, as the titles i have here now, i get drawn to them...

sure i dont play every day but, it is always in the back of my mind...

this summer into late fall i took about 4 months off, to many other deadline goals to deal with to really be thinking about pins...

wintertime months are the most pin active time for me really...

#46 10 years ago

You could always try sitting down with your games and watching videos of EATPM and Scared Stiff to spice things up.

#47 10 years ago
    Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

From June to mid August last Yr I didn't play any Pinball .. My NIB Met-pro was delivered June 6th , I opened it a week later ,, Installed $ 450.00 of mods and told the Banker to come and get it.. Sold for what i had N it ..
    May 29th ( 2 weeks after my oldest daughter ( 5 ) was biten in the face by the in-laws dog ) i found a receipt from a Divorce Attorney Consultation in my wife's car ,, 2 1/2 months later on my B-day she left 4-good .. I was Stress'd & Wore out , lost 25lbs in the worst way .. I sold my Beloved IM because her Attorney was try-n to get her to take 1/2 of everything . ( No Way !! ) She left & I knew 2 much about what she had been do-n ..
    She sign'd over the house , Land & gave me my girl's & paid 4 my attorney .. That was 2 mth's ago on Nov- 1st ... It's ben 5 mth's now .
    That was my Pinball Break !!! Pinball in my Life ( hell Yes ) Women ,, ,, Never a Full tyme woman again , 21 yr's of marriage -- between 2 women ,, I'm threw w/ commitment ..
    My time is for Pinball , Me and my 2 girl's .. My Heart rate is up just from type-n this ..

Dude, sorry to hear all that...

But there's a new vagina around every corner...

and at our ages the good single ones, (now that they have had a few divorces or shit relationships), tend to be better quality chicks, and a bit more appreciative...

I agree, No more marriage, be with a chick cause ya wanna be, not cause ya have to be...

Glad ya got your girls, and all your stuff still...

This is a clean fresh begining of the rest of your kick ass life !

#48 10 years ago

I could see boats, cars, guns, travel, etc......but honestly, watches?

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from HOOKED:

TOTAN IMO will be remade

I can only hope!!

#50 10 years ago

no, never

There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ever-get-bored-of-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.