(Topic ID: 75948)

Ever get a game you wanted for a long time only to be disappointed?

By Max_Badazz

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 151 posts
  • 122 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Joshmx19
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 10 years ago
#102 10 years ago

I'm surprised to see Totan showing up here so many times. So far i haven't been down this road yet i hope never to be in this boat. ( But I'm a young whipper snapper so only time will tell ) As stated above play the games when possible. I try to play the same game but different machines many times before buying. I do this because the 1st CFTBL was new then and a fun play sank 100 or more in quarters over a month. 2nd time i played one years later it sucked. Just last month came across yet another one plays like i remember.

#103 10 years ago

I did also get a TOTAN and sold it in like 3 weeks (5 years ago). Now a friend has the game and i cant stop playing it when i visit. No clue why i didnt like it, its fun!

For me i think its CV. Have had 2 of them and both times sold them fast...

#104 10 years ago

Stargate
Scared Stiff
TSPP

#105 10 years ago

I really wanted a T2 to fulfill the childhood dream, but I dont love it like I used to....

#106 10 years ago

Probably my most disappointing "crown jewel search" was Bally Fathom. After sweating over finding parts, building a brand new cabinet, getting an NOS glass, repro plastics and a repro field, it just doesn't have the magic that my Centaur or EBD do. It's "action-packed" (TM), but just leaves me dry. beautiful game in every respect, though....and a nice part of the 1981 Bally lineup.....

Chris

#107 10 years ago
Quoted from Cybergoonie:

Stargate
Scared Stiff
TSPP

Ive liked playing Scared Stiff it at the local arcade, but I could see myself getting really bored with that one too.

#108 10 years ago

Haunted House-Very cool theme that I remember as a kid. I loved playing it the "only" issue was that machine truly is haunted. Out of the year I had it I could only keep it running for one week (System 80 ). I sold it to fund my first DMD machine and I have not missed it other than the how cool it looked in my basement.

#109 10 years ago

So far I haven't gotten rid of any of the pins that I have purchased, mostly because I'm a very tolerate person, but really because most of the time I've played them a lot before buying them.

However, the one game that I wanted out the door almost as soon as I got it early last year (based on my Son's request) was Hollywood Heat, a game that even Steve Ritchie said was one of his favorite pins. Due to a minor GI outage issue, which I still need to fix, it has not made it's way to the market.

#110 10 years ago

Party Zone. Almost did the same with SWE1, but played it enough to figure out I didn't want it . . . thankfully.

#111 10 years ago

Twilight zone easily. Was a cherry HUO example. Played really great, but the game is slow, clunky, horrible audio etc. Not into the show at all so was pretty boring for me

#112 10 years ago

Bally Playboy, Space Invaders and Kiss. Nostalgic purchases, they are/were great looking examples but the game play feels so dated and clunky.

In modern games my AC/DC pro doesn't get much love (I still can't figure the rules)

#113 10 years ago

nope, love all my games

#114 10 years ago

X-men LE bought new in Box but did not enjoy anything about it except some of the ramp shots. Hated the left scoop position, the large size of the figures, clunky ball lock post and and the moving right ramp just sucked. Did not like hardly any of the voice callouts either.

ANother that lasted longer but eventually got old for me was TRON LE. realize I am in minority on this, but just got where it was getting repetitive, avoided the rinzler spinning disk, and hated the Gem shot. Even the Quorra loop was clunky to me. I Liked the sound /music (could have been better though) and game colors etc., but the play got old and repetitive and I was getting pretty good but not great at it.

#115 10 years ago

That would have to be Tommy, couldn't stand that game. Held on to it for a little bit trying to see if it would get better and it never did. Put it up for sale and no else wanted it either, eventually sold it but that's the only game I've ever considered parting out just so it wasn't sitting here any more.

#116 10 years ago

Indiana Jones (Williams)

Played the game on holidays in Greece. Was looking for a decent one since then. I found one and flipped it in a couple of months because i didnt really liked it after all.

Same goes voor TFTC. Wanted it a long time but became boring very fast

#117 10 years ago
Quoted from Manbearpig:

I also wanted that game, my local technician warned me that the game has lots of issues. He has 3 different customers that need JP fixed on a regular basis. I have been cautious for this reason.

Your missing out. I have owned two, and have had no issues to speak of.

#118 10 years ago

Johnny mnemonic was a huge dissapoiment. Got rid of it in less that a month .

#119 10 years ago

Ever get a girl you wanted for a long time only to be disappointed?

#120 10 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

You got that half right. This is a pinball forum where men generally discuss their love for Star Trek and X-Men. You probably should have just asked, "Ever get a girl?"

#121 10 years ago

Happiness is the pursuit of your dreams. Misery is achieving them.

- some b.s. Buddhist proverb I just made up.

#122 10 years ago

This song from THE THE sums it up pretty good.

"True Happiness This Way Lies"

#123 10 years ago

METLE was another one. I was so excited to get my first NIB game. And I loved it at first. But after a while it just became irritating. Then I found I could hardly give the thing away.

#124 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

METLE was another one. I was so excited to get my first NIB game. And I loved it at first. But after a while it just became irritating. Then I found I could hardly give the thing away.

I will take it when you get down to giving it away....

ktnxbai.

#125 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I will take it when you get down to giving it away....

Send me your Time Pilot, and we can make a deal.
Actually it's gone. I traded it for a TSPP and a STTNG. Two for one or one for two. Anyway I'm happy with the results. I also picked up a T-2 from the same guy. So my suffering is now over.

#126 10 years ago
Quoted from dgpinball:

GNR sat in my lineup unplayed for long stretches, so I moved it on.

Wait a minute... You have 94 pinball machines.
Just about everything you have must sit unplayed for long stretches.

3 weeks later
#127 10 years ago
Quoted from generalgman:

TZ. Bought one years ago . Could not get that pin out of the collection fast enough.

I had a super nice TZ just was not my game it lasted 4 months.

#128 10 years ago

T2 and WCS. Loved playing in the arcade but not so good at home

#129 10 years ago

Creature was one that stands out to me. Played it on vacation once and thought it was a blast....found one, cleaned it up and played it for a month and then sold it to some friends at a loss. Still to this day don't like that game. GREAT theme, art, music etc, but I just don't like the game play and the cluttered play field.

Whirlwind is another....got one for my cousin....played it and traded for it back...kept it for about 6 months and then couldn't stand hearing "the storm is coming...the storm is over" one more time and it pissed me off every time I played it....so it was gone.

Xenon....I never actually owned this one, but I heard nothing but good things about it...when I finally played one, I thought...that's it? This thing is boring.....looks cool, but it is just a boring game for me.

#130 10 years ago

DEMO MAN
- played at a pinball show.. wow those grip handles were SOOOOOO cool... I had to have one... GOT ONE.. BIGGEST TURD GAME EVER

dump-da-da-dump dummmmmmmp

#131 10 years ago

TOM…lasted 3 months iirc.

#132 10 years ago

TOM AND W?D

#133 10 years ago
Quoted from pinnaf:

DEMO MAN
- played at a pinball show.. wow those grip handles were SOOOOOO cool... I had to have one... GOT ONE.. BIGGEST TURD GAME EVER
dump-da-da-dump dummmmmmmp

LOL that bad huh. I was thinking about trying one I guess I will re think

#134 10 years ago

Jp - fell in love with the theme loved the movies but if I hear "stampede" again I am gonna throw something. Hoping the new code that chad is working on will make it shine for me again. Only reason it hasn't left is the wife and kids love it.

#135 10 years ago

CFTBL - I got a HUO undocumented one from an ex-hockey player, super excited, tried for about a week to like it (and I love every b/w machine), but every time I walked away from it I wanted to drive my sledge hammer through it.

If I ever win a big enough lottery I might just scour the earth collecting them all and drop them off a very high cliff.

#136 10 years ago

South Park - 'Loved the theme but never played one. Bought one and never liked it. Also a Party Zone - mistakenly hit "Buy it now" on E:Bay. Layout not bad but just plain stupid unless you're 5 years old. To flip the coin "Shadow" and
"BS Drac" I really liked. "LW3" was OK - right in the middle.

#137 10 years ago

Attack from Mars. Had a beautiful example and kept it 5 weeks. I don't hate it, but just don't understand the hype.
Harry Irvin

#138 10 years ago

Where to begin:

IJ
Stargate
EATPM
Sorcerer (twice!)

-->would have to be the top 4 "always wanted". They all got rather old after owning each for about 3 years. But hey, at least now I know there are games that appeal to me as a player, over those above. No regrets.

#139 10 years ago

I am also someone who, unlike what I consider to be a surprising number (though shouldn't be surprising given the thread title) who don't like it, love my TSPP. I have only had it about 3 months and it is the newest machine I own so it offers a lot my other machines don't.

What I've been let down by: Doctor Who. Haven't let it go yet, my wife doesn't want me to yet, even though she doesn't really play it. I do plan on doing a P-ROC rule rewrite and then I'll see what I think. There really isn't much to shoot at, I guess I'd like some drops but I figure if I rewrite the rules, I can use the mini-playfield to more advantage, not just for multiball but to actually have it raise and lower - imagine having more shots in the middle to choose from depending on the desired mode (5 optos or 3 lanes or the two shots with it down). I really think it could be a better game with deeper rules.

Centaur - got at the same time as TSPP after looking for a while. Yes, I like the game, especially at night in a dark room. I love the sounds, some of my favorite in all of pinball. I like the gameplay but I guess I'm not really overwhelmed as I thought. I might get another some day if it comes available again, but I'm going to see how EBD and Flash Gordon work in the spot of early SS. Surprisingly I have really liked both the early Gottlieb Sys1s I've had (Hulk - selling this weekend - still kind of sad but moving on and surprisingly Close Encounters).

#140 10 years ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

Where to begin:
IJ
Stargate
EATPM
Sorcerer (twice!)
-->would have to be the top 4 "always wanted". They all got rather old after owning each for about 3 years. But hey, at least now I know there are games that appeal to me as a player, over those above. No regrets.

Would've taken one of those Sorceror's for sure!

#141 10 years ago

T2. It lasted less than a week. I couldnt sell it quick enough. Loved it at the shows but, hated it in 3 days at home.

#142 10 years ago

TSPP. I love the Simpsons, but it was just a chore. I got rid of that one real quick.

#143 10 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I believe that would be every girl everyone has ever gotten... only 3 months later.

#144 10 years ago
Quoted from conester:

Whirlwind is another....got one for my cousin....played it and traded for it back...kept it for about 6 months and then couldn't stand hearing "the storm is coming...the storm is over" one more time and it pissed me off every time I played it....so it was gone.
Xenon....I never actually owned this one, but I heard nothing but good things about it...when I finally played one, I thought...that's it? This thing is boring.....looks cool, but it is just a boring game for me.

That's how I am feeling about whirlwind right now.. My wife hates the call outs on it. She keeps saying sell it!
Might be putting mine up for sale soon..

#145 10 years ago
Quoted from Bobster44:

LOL that bad huh. I was thinking about trying one I guess I will re think

It's crazy how subjective this hobby is. DM is my favorite machine. The flow is incredible. JP on the other hand...I'd trade this machine in a heartbeat if my daughters wouldn't kill me. It has grown on me though.

#146 10 years ago

To answer the OP question, nope.

#147 10 years ago

STTNG and TOTAN. Both games that I really enjoyed playing at shows and in the wild, but as soon as I bought them the love rapidly evaporated. Both gone within a couple of months.

#148 10 years ago

Pinball is a tough hobby, I remember back in the 90's during my late teens and early 20's going to the arcade every day to play games and always anticipating a new pinball machine being there. WHY? any pinball after a certain amount of plays becomes a little boring and can lose it's appeal especially once you've reached the wizard and ultimately complete the game. With the exception of no limit on money and space we all have to sell at some point and even what could be considered the best tables out there once completed can't compare to a new game in the house that needs to be fixed a little, led's, a new experience. Thusly, I've never been disappointed with a new game just naturally became bored with doing the same modes over and over. TOTAN when I bought it like most new buy's I figured this one's a keeper, it's long gone. Anyway I'm babbling...............LATER

1 week later
#149 10 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

TZ..........I thought it was my holy grail and I gave it up in two weeks.

fantastic toy but not a top ten game not even top 20

#150 10 years ago

For me Haunted House was a huge let down. Remembered playing it and loving it at some point when I was younger, traded a Gottlieb Rescue 911, I missed the R911 after all was said and done.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
7,500 (OBO)
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 36.95
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Montpelier, VA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 75.00
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
$ 179.00
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

There are 151 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ever-get-a-game-you-wanted-for-a-long-time-only-to-be-disappointed/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.