7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by markmon
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kevin_lheureux.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

You're welcome to your opinion, just like everyone else - but saving 40 bucks in one place allows you to spend 40 bucks somewhere else on this pin, or towards another pin, etc.
I don't think NM wants to reuse perfectly good OEM parts because he doesn't have 40 bucks to spend.
Folks replace a lot of parts during their 'restorations' that could easily be reconditioned to 'good as new', with a little bit of elbow grease. If the restoration part is the fun part, why short change yourself on fun? Some parts, I change out, like star posts, pretty much regardless of the condition, because I've not found a way to make the originals sparkle like new, they are often foggy, chipped, etc, but I see a lot of things that get replaced in a lot of restorations that are perfectly fine - I wouldn't mind getting the cast-offs from some folks as it would save me a lot of money
The area where some of the aftermarket rails don't match is the corner where the 'side' of the rail meets the 'top' of the rail. Some are rounded, some are squared off. It may not be OEM vs aftermarket, it may just be that the mfg used 2 different types of rails through the years - but they are NOT all the same.

I agree here. A restoration involves taking old parts, spending time and effort combined with your personal skill and making old parts look new again unless its not possible because the part is in unusable condition. I love taking the time to make an old crappy looking part look brand new again. That is where the pride really kicks in after all is said and done. I've seen lots of people over the years "restore" and pinball machine with a new cabinet, new playfield, all new metal parts and assemblies, etc. I've wondered why they call it a restoration when it's really just a recreation using the old harness and board set.

There's plenty of times when new parts are the answer but not as often as a lot of guys opt for them. I take pride craftsmanship not just replacing parts because I can.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 89.99

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider kevin_lheureux.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside