7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 20 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by markmon
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider johnwartjr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 7 years ago

The procedure I posted with a putty knife, dead blow hammer and blue painters tape works real well with no damage.

I've used a braided bike cable to remove a car windshield in a similar fashion to what you describe in the past. It worked OK!

#16 7 years ago

I would definitely try to remove the originals if they are in good shape. Heck, if even *one* of them is in good shape. The aftermarket replacements are not always bent exactly the same, and if you have 1 good original rail, I like to save it, in case another cabinet has only 1 bent rail.

Cheap? Perhaps. Anything is worth doing with care, though, even if the originals are bent, I try to remove them carefully as you don't want to tear up the cabinet etc.

I showed a few pics and detailed the process here:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gnr-side-rails

The nail may present an additional challenge, or it may not. On a couple cabs I've changed rails on, the nail pulled right out with a small pair of vice grips, without scratching the rail.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Oh, gotcha. My bad didn't read every single reply. I have removed them loads of times very easily without damaging the cabinet or decals. I usually destroy the rails though.
To the guy who said no money to burn. Then don't get new side rails. They are purely cosmetic and don't affect gameplay. Get new rails, especially if you are going to get them powder coated. Anyways, no need to complain about price of an item that is purely cosmetic. If you can't afford it, don't get it.

You're welcome to your opinion, just like everyone else - but saving 40 bucks in one place allows you to spend 40 bucks somewhere else on this pin, or towards another pin, etc.

I don't think NM wants to reuse perfectly good OEM parts because he doesn't have 40 bucks to spend.

Folks replace a lot of parts during their 'restorations' that could easily be reconditioned to 'good as new', with a little bit of elbow grease. If the restoration part is the fun part, why short change yourself on fun? Some parts, I change out, like star posts, pretty much regardless of the condition, because I've not found a way to make the originals sparkle like new, they are often foggy, chipped, etc, but I see a lot of things that get replaced in a lot of restorations that are perfectly fine - I wouldn't mind getting the cast-offs from some folks as it would save me a lot of money

The area where some of the aftermarket rails don't match is the corner where the 'side' of the rail meets the 'top' of the rail. Some are rounded, some are squared off. It may not be OEM vs aftermarket, it may just be that the mfg used 2 different types of rails through the years - but they are NOT all the same.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rockford, IL
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 239.00
Boards
PinSound
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 269.00
Lighting - Led
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 279.95
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
€ 3.70
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
6,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Roswell, GA
9,707 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, CA
$ 99.00
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Machine - For Sale
Madison, AL
$ 30.00
$ 47.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider johnwartjr.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside