Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 19 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by monkeybug
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

At PAGG this year I bought one of those remote battery holders for my Twilight Zone and am only now installing it. After taking out the old batteries, which were fine, I noticed the date on them was 2003. The date on the ones I'm installing are 2017, so by extrapolation, the batteries that were in before, were probably put in around 1998. Can you say "whew"?

That got me thinking, anybody else have any close calls?

#2 11 years ago

When some 7.62mm rounds hit a few inches above my head I felt like a dodged a few bullets

#3 11 years ago

damn your pinball machine must be in a very dangerous area

#4 11 years ago

That's crazy Stack where you in the forces?

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from Slaymetender:

damn your pinball machine must be in a very dangerous area

Psh. I hear gunfire probably at least once a week in the creek behind my house, and I live in Dallas proper.

#6 11 years ago

I just replaced the batteries from my newly acquired Stern Quicksilver, from a remote battery pack. They were corroding already even though they said they were good until 2013. Making me think I now need to spend a some time to go through all my other machines.

#7 11 years ago

2003??? I change my batteries every year on every machine around august, just did it again about a week ago I had that machine for 2 -3 years, that is very strange..... I could have missed them i.e. not changed them one year, just strange

#8 11 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Psh. I hear gunfire probably at least once a week in the creek behind my house, and I live in Dallas proper.

I hear muscat shots everyday and cannon fire once a week
    work opposite an historic theme park

#9 11 years ago

Yes. Though I can't say I dodged or they missed.

LTG

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Crazed:

2003??? I change my batteries every year on every machine around august, just did it again about a week ago I had that machine for 2 -3 years, that is very strange..... I could have missed them i.e. not changed them one year, just strange

No worries, no damage at all. The TZ still looks and plays amazing too. I'm still waiting for the ultimate clock to come out to replace the one in there. I hope that guy gets better. He's been sick forever.

Btw, soon this TZ will operate on tokens. No, it's not being routed, i ordered tokens for the gallery

#11 11 years ago

I'm still waiting for the ultimate clock to come out to replace the one in there.

Dude. Send me a PM when you can find a dependable clock replacement. It seems like every once in a while I have to replace mine. The price you have to pay for owning a top #1/2 title.

#12 11 years ago

I put my Black Knight 2000 in the garage at the rental house I was moving into with the idea that I would be setting it back up inside of 3 months or so, so I had left the batteries in it. Turns out I never got my machines set up at that house, so it was 6 years in storage total. Fortunately the batteries were completely non-leaking, and the first thing I did was take them out and throw them away. Since then I've had a remote battery mount installed.

#13 11 years ago

Yep, when a machine at a bar burned up due to bad power and we decided not to route pins there anymore. Could've killed another game!

#14 11 years ago

Wow, ive never heard a story like thar. Makes me want to put surge protectors on mine!

#16 11 years ago

I suppose I could have put in new old batteries too, that would explain how they were fine yet old. Weird indeed, glad she is doing well out there in CA!

#17 11 years ago
    Quoted from monkeybug:

I just replaced the batteries from my newly acquired Stern Quicksilver, from a remote battery pack. They were corroding already even though they said they were good until 2013. Making me think I now need to spend a some time to go through all my other machines.

All batteries now are junk, I have had new ones that were leaking in the package.
    All my games get remotes on long leads and I never change them unless they go dead, the newer the battery the bigger the chance they will leak.
    Holders are cheap, if they do leak cut the holder off and toss it and solder on a new one.
    Way cheaper and easier than 60 new batteries a year and if you get a bad batch you now have a bunch of leakers all at once.

#18 11 years ago

Wow, ive never heard a story like thar. Makes me want to put surge protectors on mine!

Yeah, it's a new game room that used to be a storage area and they didn't upgrade the circuits back there so the A/C is overloading everything... found 5 blown fuses (one actually exploded) and it killed the driver board and playfield power board. Going to be fun replacing all those transistors.

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from tracelifter:

All batteries now are junk, I have had new ones that were leaking in the package.
    All my games get remotes on long leads and I never change them unless they go dead, the newer the battery the bigger the chance they will leak.
    Holders are cheap, if they do leak cut the holder off and toss it and solder on a new one.
    Way cheaper and easier than 60 new batteries a year and if you get a bad batch you now have a bunch of leakers all at once.

Actually, I was incorrect. The batteries said 2017!

I prefer the capacitor mod for the older games. If I lose a high score because the game is not turned on in months... oh well, I guess I really didn't care.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ever-felt-like-you-dodged-a-bullet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.