4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by cyberslunk
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider majicman110.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Ok, I considered posting this in the "Serious" category but it is related to pinball. This is a serious topic for me and I don't mean to use pinside as an emotional dumping ground, but I figured that I don't personally know any of you, so it might be a "safer" space to share.

6 weeks ago I was blindsided by the fact that addiction had been impacting a member of my immediate family. It has been a stressful time, but not a hopeless one. The addict in my family has been attending rehab meetings, and I have been going to Al-anon meetings for myself.

Things could easily be MUCH worse and at every meeting I attend, I meet people that are hurting more and have lost much more than me, so I remain very grateful.

Where this ties into pinball is that I have had several friends tell me I should "get away" and de-stress by going downstairs and playing pinball, or going out to a barcade with friends. I have plunged a couple balls and immediately think to myself "this is stupid. What am I doing? This isn't going to make anything better." etc. I just don't get any joy out of it and don't feel like I care if I ever play another game.

I don't want to make this about me. But I have learned that there are more people that deal with addiction, depression, and mental illness than I ever realized. So lets have a discussion about US. Have life events ever left you feeling like you lost your love for pinball? Did it ever return? Was it ever the same? Did you sell off your collection and regret it? Did you keep a game or two only to later wish you had kept then all?

Once again, I am not looking for non pinball advice regarding my situation, nor do I want to make this about me and my problems.

Sorry if this is too loathsome or dark for this forum, but like I said, these problems seem to be more widespread than we realize.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

Came here to make fun of poor spelling of thread title...now feel like a douche after reading first few posts.
Sorry guys, Leaving now

Thanks for pointing that out. I knew there was zero chance of me not screwing up something in the original post. I deleted stuff and retyped multiple times because im not much at expressing myself thru written word. Sorry if it is a bit of a jumbled mess.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider majicman110.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ever-fall-out-if-live-with-the-hobby?tu=majicman110 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.