(Topic ID: 289275)

Ever Done a Piston Soak? F'ing GDI Engines!

By mcluvin

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by mcluvin
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

6500a (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phil-lee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I just did this with my CR-V which has been consuming oil for the last 50K miles or so. I've read it is common for the oil control rings to get stuck on GDI engines. Anyway, pulled the plugs, hit the cylinders with a couple shots of PB Blaster. Waited a bit then poured a couple ounces of Chemtool B-12 in each cylinder. Waited until it all drained. This took anywhere from a couple of hours to roughly 8 for one cylinder. Followed this up with a couple ounces of Maxlife ATF in each cylinder and let soak overnight. One cylinder drained on its own. I had to suction the other 3. Turned it over a few times with the plugs out (lots of carbon bits on the towel covering the holes). Installed the plugs, then cranked it up and let idle for 15 minutes (some white smoke), then changed oil and filter. Oil was f'n nasty, pitch black. I've got ~100 miles on it post piston soak and it feels like a new car. Acceleration is like I remember. Time will tell if the oil consumption is resolved. Crossing my fingers...

Marvel Mystery used to be the cats ass for doing that.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phil-lee.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ever-done-a-piston-soak-f-ing-gdi-engines?tu=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.