(Topic ID: 226970)

Ever convert a mechanical switch to an opto?

By BobLangelius

6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by BobLangelius
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 6 months ago

Every once in a while a slow shot up the left ramp on my Funhouse will get stopped and stuck on the switch on the ramp behind rudy's head, under the little house thing....

Was thinking of converting this to an opto.

Anyone know of a stock board (IE. Williams board)i could use to do this?

Bob

#2 6 months ago

I'd suspect your switch. Mine even if I just set the ball right under it it can still actuate fine.

But, for the fun of theorizing: it looks from the manual like the existing opto board has three slots, only two of which (hot dog ramp and rudy's mouth) are used? So I guess you could just plug into J4 there. The other concern would be whether they're inverted or not...

#3 6 months ago

Optos will need a 12 volt supply, and they’re read by the MPU backwards. A standard microswitch is normally open, and when it closes to complete the circuit, it’s registered as a hit.

Optos are read as being normally closed, and when the beam is broken, it opens the circuit and the MPU registers it as a hit.

So while you could very likely piggy back a 12 volt supply, you’d still have to change the programming/code to tell the software what would constitute a hit, otherwise the game will just see the converted ramp switch as always being permanently closed.

#4 6 months ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I'd suspect your switch. Mine even if I just set the ball right under it it can still actuate fine.
But, for the fun of theorizing: it looks from the manual like the existing opto board has three slots, only two of which (hot dog ramp and rudy's mouth) are used? So I guess you could just plug into J4 there. The other concern would be whether they're inverted or not...

It's not that it doesn't actuate, it does, But the slight friction of the arm, on a rare occasion, stops the ball on the ramp. Am i understanding your reply correctly??

#5 6 months ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Optos will need a 12 volt supply, and they’re read by the MPU backwards. A standard microswitch is normally open, and when it closes to complete the circuit, it’s registered as a hit.
Optos are read as being normally closed, and when the beam is broken, it opens the circuit and the MPU registers it as a hit.
So while you could very likely piggy back a 12 volt supply, you’d still have to change the programming/code to tell the software what would constitute a hit, otherwise the game will just see the converted ramp switch as always being permanently closed.

Couldn't i invert that somehow?

#6 6 months ago

Seems like it would be easier to adjust/replace the existing switch so that the ball doesn't lose as much momentum passing through.

#7 6 months ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

It's not that it doesn't actuate, it does, But the slight friction of the arm, on a rare occasion, stops the ball on the ramp. Am i understanding your reply correctly??

I mean, even a ball with zero momentum, rested against my switch blade, will still roll through and down the ramp. The switch shouldn't be able to stop it

Couldn't i invert that somehow?

Not with an existing board, you'd need a custom one.

#8 6 months ago
Quoted from mbaumle:

Adding a logic inverter chip might work.

#9 6 months ago

Better just replace and will be good for years
Optos can go flaky to btw

#10 6 months ago

This is a problem with some of the switches.

Original cherry switches have a much lower force required than the newer Chinese ones.

Get a few from Bryan Kelly while he is making them up with diodes it's a great deal.

He has a continuous thread, just PM him.

#11 6 months ago

Thanks all. I'll get some switches from Bryan

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 22.50
$ 999.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 219.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 44.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 90.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside