Left sling detail - after.JPG
Lower field after.JPG
Playfield after.JPG
Right pop after.JPG
Right sling detail - after.JPG
Top eject - after.JPG
Upper field - after.JPG
Center field - before.JPG
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Stripping and re-populating a playfield is a major effort which I am not sure I am comfortable with but I would love to clearcoat the playfield. Has anyone ever tried to completely stripe the top of the playfield and clearcoat with the underside populated. I do not see why you cannot get just as good results with careful masking.

Thoughts and experiences?

Thanks,
Dave

#2 9 years ago

I have done that many times, and will do it on the 8BD field I am currently working on. It works fine. If you're going to spray, plug all the GI socket holes at minimum.

Note that I am not trying for a restoration but rather a reconditioning to make the game cosmetically appealing for play again. With this in mind, you don't have to be perfect and anything I do will be an improvement over big chunks worn down to the wood.

IMO!

#3 9 years ago

I have done it as well with great results. I plugged all the holes making sure the plugs were slightly recessed. It gets a little trickier if you plan to colorsand as the water can leave a residue that will be difficult to reach (i.e. Wire harness, inside mechs, etc.).

#4 9 years ago

Thanks for the info Cody...I too am not looking for a perfect restoration. I am consider it for, Firepower, Mata Hari, Harlem Globetrotters and Strikes and Spares. Two questions:
1) Each have insert cupping, did you resolve that with clear or sand them down
2) What type of clearcoat and sprayer

#5 9 years ago

I have done this on pretty much every PF I have restored. Remove everything from topside, take LOTS of pics. and then take a few more just for good measure. Plug light sockets and switch holes (I use wadded up masking tape). Clean the PF with Magic Eraser (be careful it is easy to go too far really quickly with ME) and Nahptha, when done cleaning, wipe down with Nahptha to remove ME residue. Do touch ups...when satisfied with touch ups clear...
Then after clear has dried and cured, repopulate.

Phoebe

#6 9 years ago

I'm in for the info.
I've got a "barn find" Flash that has a PF that needs a clear coat. Trying to do it as cheaply and easy as possible.

#7 9 years ago

What do you use for touch up that won't bleed with the clear coat?

#8 9 years ago

I have done it many times also all of them had all the stuff on the bottomimage-780.jpgimage-780.jpgimage-600.jpgimage-600.jpgimage-3.jpgimage-3.jpgimage-109.jpgimage-109.jpgimage-965.jpgimage-965.jpgimage-998.jpgimage-998.jpg

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from DnDPins:

Has anyone ever tried to completely stripe the top of the playfield and clearcoat with the underside populated.

Working efficiently with the underside still populated:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/20#post-1788273

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Push600:

What do you use for touch up that won't bleed with the clear coat?

Safe paints for touch up:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/2#post-629391

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from DnDPins:

Has anyone ever tried to completely stripe the top of the playfield and clearcoat with the underside populated.

Meh, why bother even taking the top stuff off.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Meh, why bother even taking the top stuff off.

LOL. Just grab a piece of plywood and unscrew everything and slide the stuff over. Not taking the stuff in the back is major pain in the ass.

#13 9 years ago

I think just the prep and additional caution takes as long as removing everything, you might as well learn sometime strip the back it's not a big deal

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

I have done it many times also all of them had all the stuff on the bottom

image-998.jpg 197 KB

image-965.jpg 261 KB

image-109.jpg 211 KB

image-3.jpg 193 KB

image-600.jpg 190 KB

image-780.jpg 222 KB

I think that is the cv I bought off you. Wish I hadn't sold it. I think you have a body shop right? Is that auto clear sprayed with a conventional/hvlp? Did you color sand and buff? It looks like glass if it's straight spray and no buffing. Beautiful!

#15 9 years ago

I was planning removing everything from a playfield I was working on in order to (hopefully) clearcoat and touch-up at some point, but after seeing this thread, I'm rethinking that approach now. Re-doing the ground braid and getting all the wires in the right position again was looking to be a project in and of itself.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

I think that is the cv I bought off you. Wish I hadn't sold it. I think you have a body shop right? Is that auto clear sprayed with a conventional/hvlp? Did you color sand and buff? It looks like glass if it's straight spray and no buffing. Beautiful!

Yes that is the cv I sold you. It was a very nice cv. Yes I have the auto shop.

#17 9 years ago

I do it to all my own games. I have done it for customers as well. Not a big deal if you mask up the big holes and fill in the bulb sockets from getting clear in them. Saves a ton of work in the long run. If you have to ship your field, it's not recommended as the weight will break stuff off and things will be lost. But for at home or dropping off and picking up in person. Nothing wrong with it. You will get slight overspray on things like the harness or little parts of wire that are slightly exposed.

#18 9 years ago

Couple others I left every thing on the bottomimage-163.jpgimage-163.jpgimage-105.jpgimage-105.jpgimage-509.jpgimage-509.jpgimage-974.jpgimage-974.jpgimage-337.jpgimage-337.jpgimage-696.jpgimage-696.jpgimage-304.jpgimage-304.jpgimage-26.jpgimage-26.jpgimage-407.jpgimage-407.jpg

#19 9 years ago

[Edit] OOOPS! Sorry for not rotating those pics...I thought I already had done that.

Did somebody say Harlem Globetrotters?
Whole field - before.JPGWhole field - before.JPGTop eject - before.JPGTop eject - before.JPGLower field - before.JPGLower field - before.JPGCenter field - before.JPGCenter field - before.JPGUpper field - after.JPGUpper field - after.JPGTop eject - after.JPGTop eject - after.JPGRight sling detail - after.JPGRight sling detail - after.JPGRight pop after.JPGRight pop after.JPGPlayfield after.JPGPlayfield after.JPGLower field after.JPGLower field after.JPGLeft sling detail - after.JPGLeft sling detail - after.JPGLeft pop after.JPGLeft pop after.JPGCenter field - after.JPGCenter field - after.JPGBonus lights detail - after.JPGBonus lights detail - after.JPG4 ohm dual speakers - head.JPG4 ohm dual speakers - head.JPG

Now, many might scoff at the final result, but again, I was not trying to "restore", I was trying to "recondition" it such that it would be cosmetically appealing for play, instead of parting it out. It is also not my intention to try to inflate the price. Rather, I feel my efforts don't increase the value much at all, but makes it more attractive to a prospective owner.

IMO!

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

[Edit] OOOPS! Sorry for not rotating those pics...I thought I already had done that.

Now, many might scoff at the final result, but again, I was not trying to "restore", I was trying to "recondition" it such that it would be cosmetically appealing for play, instead of parting it out. It is also not my intention to try to inflate the price. Rather, I feel my efforts don't increase the value much at all, but makes it more attractive to a prospective owner.
IMO!

Whole field - before.JPG 375 KB

Top eject - before.JPG 353 KB

Lower field - before.JPG 388 KB

Center field - before.JPG 389 KB

Upper field - after.JPG 259 KB

Top eject - after.JPG 267 KB

Right sling detail - after.JPG 197 KB

Right pop after.JPG 224 KB

Playfield after.JPG 354 KB

Lower field after.JPG 363 KB

Left sling detail - after.JPG 198 KB

Left pop after.JPG 221 KB

Center field - after.JPG 380 KB

Bonus lights detail - after.JPG 390 KB

4 ohm dual speakers - head.JPG 121 KB

Nice touch up. You did a great job.

#21 9 years ago

I always strip them bare so I can restore everything. I repaint the underside grey and replace the ground braid and re-staple it. Every part is tumbled and rebuilt/refurbished or replaced with new.

The only time I haven't stripped a playfield completely bare before clear coating was with an NOS assembled playfield. Since everything was mint to begin with I didn't want to strip the underside. But usually when I clear coat one it's because it needs some touch up and has had some use so I always go all out on everything anyway and strip it bare. I'm pretty anal on playfield restorations (especially for my own "keepers").

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

Yes that is the cv I sold you. It was a very nice cv. Yes I have the auto shop.

They are incredible. Are you buffing those or is it looking like glass right from the gun. Phenomenal skills if that's straight spray with no buffing. Simply stunning.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Skins:

They are incredible. Are you buffing those or is it looking like glass right from the gun. Phenomenal skills if that's straight spray with no buffing. Simply stunning.

I am wet sanding and buffing.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

[Edit]

IMO!

Actually a very impressive restoration. How many hours went into the total project? Also, how is the game playing?

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from BestShot31:

Actually a very impressive restoration. How many hours went into the total project? Also, how is the game playing?

Hard to say. I don't track my hours...I know it would be too depressing to see the hourly rate when it gets broken down. It's hobby time after work and on weekends. It probably took 3 months or so to paint, clear, repair and get it tuned up.

It was playing really smooth and fast, just like it did 20 years ago. It just didn't look quite as good. A customer, non-collector, bought it a few years ago and I haven't heard back from them so I guess it's still working...

I am always really proud of my reconditions, even if they aren't high class restos. You don't HAVE to drop a ton of money into a game to come out the other end with an appealing game that plays great.

IMO!

#26 9 years ago

I don't plug the light sockets. I just have a set of old bulbs I put in after I tack it. Works great.

#27 9 years ago

Thanks to all for the feedback, I did not expect to get as much as I did. It seems when you follow the restoration threads, everyone is fully stripping the PF...good to know so many are not with excellent results.

This has given me the confidence to take it on myself when the weather permits.

Next question is best way to handle star rollovers as I am currently working on my Strikes and Spares. Should I mask the entire round or plug them with the stars upside down? How do most handle them?

Thanks,
Dave

#28 9 years ago

When I clearcoat stars. You don't have to do much. I just use an exacto inside each one to clean the edges between each layer of clear, so it doesn't fill in. Just block sand as normal.

But be careful on how many layers and how thick you get. Stars limit how thick you can go. If you go to high, the amount of rollover area you have, gets smaller and smaller with each layer you do.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from DnDPins:

Next question is best way to handle star rollovers as I am currently working on my Strikes and Spares. Should I mask the entire round or plug them with the stars upside down? How do most handle them?

Clearcoating without clogging up Star Rollovers:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/19

#30 9 years ago

Clearcoating without clogging up light sockets. I take ear plugs and cut them in half shove them in light sockets. After I clearcoat I pull them out with tweezers.

IMG_20141102_175708_479.jpgIMG_20141102_175708_479.jpg
#31 9 years ago

SDF...ever try burnt out lights instead?

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from DnDPins:

SDF...ever try burnt out lights instead?

I use ear plugs too. Bulbs will work but you need to pull them out between coats to sand.

#33 9 years ago

I like how well CC flows under the pop bumper skirts . My opinion is , CC a PF without taking it apart is a HACK JOB ! My opinion, carry on and do what you guys like but I hope I never end up with another one that was done they way STTNG was.. Spent hours and hours fixing things .

IMG_5496.JPGIMG_5496.JPG

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

I like how well CC flows under the pop bumper skirts . My opinion is , CC a PF without taking it apart is a HACK JOB ! My opinion, carry on and do what you guys like but I hope I never end up with another one that was done they way STTNG was.. Spent hours and hours fixing things .

IMG_5496.JPG 119 KB

The topic of his thread is referring to the bottom of the playfield, not the top.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

The topic of his thread is referring to the bottom of the playfield, not the top.

No shit ?

#36 9 years ago

nobody clearcoats with the top shit on. Clearing without taking the stuff off the bottom doesn't mean shit. SO you get a little spray on the top edge of the GI sockets. Big deal. Besides that, you wouldn't know if it was or wasn't.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

nobody clearcoats with the top shit on

Explain the pop bumper area, please . I have seen this and don't like it one bit . But that is me .

#38 9 years ago

explain what? all your picture shows is a dirty pop area. Use some magic eraser and rubbing alcohol and clean that shit.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

all your picture shows is a dirty pop area.

That is clear coat over spray that is un-sanded because the pops were still on the PF when this was CC.

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

That is clear coat over spray that is un-sanded because the pops were still on the PF when this was CC.

Then the person that cleared your playfield sucks. What does that have to do with this thread???

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Then the person that cleared your playfield sucks. What does that have to do with this thread???

I Don't know ? But that is a pretty strong statement you just made.

#42 9 years ago

that's been cleared? By looking at your pop mylar groove, it doesn't look like any clear has been added to that field at all. Looks like just mylar glue stuck on there.

#43 9 years ago

Also, in that pic, below and to the right there is a hole the received the stud for a metal rail. You can see clear piled up on either side of where the metal rail sat.

That was a poor job by whomever performed it.

Nobody with any common sense would clear a field with the topside components still mounted, unless the customer requested it.

#44 9 years ago

Reminds me of that guy that bought the clearcoated paragon, but they cleared it while it was fully populated and in the game. Just cleared over everything. Mylar, plastics rubber, everything. Kinda hilarious, but he paid a premium because it was a clearcoated paragon. Bunch of us helped the guy out. it was his first game purchase. Someone found him a better starting field and I gave him a heavy discounted restoration job on it. Turned out stellar.

#45 9 years ago

WOW...don't even know how to respond to someone who would CC with things on top of playfield!

It is encouraging to hear from all these people who have cleared with the bottom still populated and I think most all people would have the sense to remove everything from the top. Let's hope this is truly an anomaly.

Thanks,
Dave

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from DnDPins:

Let's hope this is truly an anomaly.

I am positive that the smell of money clouded their judgement ! I think it happens a lot more than people think.

5 months later
#47 9 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

Couple others I left every thing on the bottomimage-163.jpg (Click image to enlarge)image-105.jpg (Click image to enlarge)image-509.jpg (Click image to enlarge)image-974.jpg (Click image to enlarge)image-337.jpg (Click image to enlarge)image-696.jpg (Click image to enlarge)image-304.jpg (Click image to enlarge)image-26.jpg (Click image to enlarge)image-407.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

these pictures are giving me a woody. where's that green chick?

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

these pictures are giving me a woody. where's that green chick?

You mean the one from Guardians of the Galaxy? I wish I knew! HOO-YAH!!

#49 9 years ago

batgirl-green-kirk.jpgbatgirl-green-kirk.jpg

#50 9 years ago

MMmmm...decisions...

gamora.jpggamora.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

5,299 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grandview, MO
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ever-clearcoat-a-playfield-without-stripping-underside/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.