Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 11.01.05 AM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 11.28.52 AM (resized).png
Untitled (resized).png
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

Game was working fine then one day decided not to boot. The -17 MPU LED does not flicker; just comes on solid at power up. The brown sockets have been replaced and there is no corrosion on the board.

I replaced U7 through U11 with known good chips and nothing changed. Solid LED, so assumed the game ROM's were bad.

I modified/jumpered the -17 board to accept two 2732 ROM's and purchased a set for Evel Knievel. Tested them in another board, so they are good.

Now, I have installed only U6, U9, and U11, all known to be good. No flicker, only solid on.

I briefly shorted U9 pins 39-40. LED stays solid on.

Can I get some troubleshooting help? ...looking for a flicker! Thank you...

#2 3 years ago

I have also checked continuity from U9, U10, and U11 pins. I don't find any openings or shorts.

#3 3 years ago

Did the board have corrosion? Does the reset circuit work properly? Check pin 40 of U9 on power up. Should start low and jump to 5 volts.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Did the board have corrosion? Does the reset circuit work properly? Check pin 40 of U9 on power up. Should start low and jump to 5 volts.

You have these questions because there is previous history.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/as-2518-17-led-locked-on#post-5810689

#5 3 years ago

Now I see. Never good to shift gears here. While I’m here. You replaced the crappy sockets. Very easy to make a soldering mistake on the -17 board. Also, double check jumpers. Pin wiki is good but I got bad jumper info there for a Stern mpu.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

There is no corrosion. The reset is working properly.

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

You have these questions because there is previous history.

To be clear, this was summarized in my first post this posting.

Quoted from jj44114:

Very easy to make a soldering mistake on the -17 board. Also, double check jumpers. Pin wiki is good but I got bad jumper info there for a Stern mpu.

I have double and triple checked the new socket soldering (see post #2). The jumpers in piniwiki are correct. I have modified another -17 board for 2-2732 ROMs and that board is working.

#7 3 years ago

I'm not an electrical engineer, so my answer is .....

Alltek

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Ballypin:

I'm not an electrical engineer, so my answer is .....
Alltek

Ballypin, you're an EM guy!!!

A while back I bought the NVRAM.WEEBLY.COM Universal MPU board (instead of Alltek) and couldn't be happier. The price was better, and Andrew has been helpful through the years. It has been a good product.

I don't need another MPU. I already have two working spares, but I'd like to get this one from Evel Knievel working again then add it to my spares collection.

#9 3 years ago

Usually no flicker means problem with reset.

Do you have 5 volts at U9 pin 40?

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from oldschoolbob:

Usually no flicker means problem with reset.
Do you have 5 volts at U9 pin 40?

Yes. At power up it starts low and goes to 5v in split second. And when I short pin 39 and 40 momentarily the LED stays lit. I'm assuming the reset is working correctly.

#11 3 years ago

Remove U6 and U11. With only U9 installed , check data and address lines for pulsing with a logic probe. Pins 9-20 and 22-33. They all should be pulsing. Might help find what’s locking up the cpu.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Remove U6 and U11. With only U9 installed , check data and address lines for pulsing with a logic probe. Pins 9-20 and 22-33. They all should be pulsing.

OK....they are all pulsing. For what it's worth, I checked all the pins on U9. In addition to the ones you listed, pin 3, 5, 36, and 37 also have pulse activity.

Also, I don't know how to interpret this: All the pins showed steady pulse and steady level (probe green LED), but pins 22 thru 26 showed a quickly flickering level (probe green LED) instead of a steady (non flickering) level.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Ballypin, you're an EM guy!!!

Evel was an EM first. I'll have to stick with the SS version for now.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

They all should be pulsing.

They are.

#15 3 years ago

had similiar issue same game, Lights on wouldnt start, attract, nothing.

ended up being a Bridge on the rectifier board. the correct voltages were not present.

#16 3 years ago

Ok. Now add back U11. Same activity on those pins? If so, then add U6. Any change in activity.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

OK....they are all pulsing. For what it's worth, I checked all the pins on U9. In addition to the ones you listed, pin 3, 5, 36, and 37 also have pulse activity.
Also, I don't know how to interpret this: All the pins showed steady pulse and steady level (probe green LED), but pins 22 thru 26 showed a quickly flickering level (probe green LED) instead of a steady (non flickering) level.

Triple check the jumpers. Running 2732s on a -17 takes some cuts and jumps, make sure you got it right and the long jump between u2 and u9 the wire is not impaled on any sharp post.

Check continuity Address and Data from CPU down to other chips with DMM on continuity mode or your probe into the chip socket while powered up with only u9 plugged in. That would be looking for open circuit. Check for shorts of two signals together. Specially like at the ROMs where a trace passed between two legs. Machine pin sockets have been known to be wide enough to touch a trace between pins with the solder mask pealed back.

Visual inspection goes a long way. I have found numerous head banging issues like a solder splash causing a short by really looking close at every square inch of the board under bright light.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Ok. Now add back U11. Same activity on those pins?

Added back in U11 and same activity.

Quoted from jj44114:

then add U6. Any change in activity.

Added back U6. Observed different activity. All pins on U9 pulsed as before EXCEPT pin 5. It does not pulse.

#19 3 years ago

Check voltage at U9 pin 5. Should be around 3.0 volts. Also check voltage at U15 pin 3. Should be very close to 1.8v. This the VMA circuit. MPU will stay locked if this is not working correctly.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Check voltage at U9 pin 5. Should be around 3.0 volts. Also check voltage at U15 pin 3. Should be very close to 1.8v.

U9 pin 5 measures 4.21
U15 pin 3 measures 2.54

#21 3 years ago

Those are not close enough. You sure U9 pin 5 is not pulsing?

#22 3 years ago

4.2 would show pin 5 as high. It shouldn’t be. Are you also sure U9 is good?

#23 3 years ago

If U9 is good then something in the VMA circuit is not right. Check U19 pin 10. Should be pulsing. Also check U15 for pulsing on pins 4,5 and 6.

#24 3 years ago

When you measured U9 pin 5, was U6 installed? Measure the voltage with U6 both in and out? Different?

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

You sure U9 pin 5 is not pulsing?

U9 pin 5 is not pulsing with U6 in. It is pulsing with U6 out.

Quoted from jj44114:

Are you also sure U9 is good?

yes. But just to check, I swapped it out again for a new one, tested in another game.

Quoted from jj44114:

Check U19 pin 10. Should be pulsing. Also check U15 for pulsing on pins 4,5 and 6.

U19 pin 10 pulses with U6 out, and does not pulse with U6 in.
U15 pins 4,5 and 6 pulse with U6 out. With U6 in, pin 4 does not pulse, but 5 and 6 do.

Quoted from jj44114:

When you measured U9 pin 5, was U6 installed? Measure the voltage with U6 both in and out? Different?

U9 pin 5 measures 4.13 v with U6 in, and 3.7 v with U6 out.

#26 3 years ago

Take a really close look at the traces at U6 pin 18. Check for shorts to other traces that run nearby. Use your meter to check if that pin has continuity with any other pins on U6. It should not. Maybe a solder bridge under the socket.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Take a really close look at the traces at U6 pin 18. Check for shorts to other traces that run nearby. Use your meter to check if that pin has continuity with any other pins on U6. It should not.

U6 pin 18 has continuity with pin 12, and briefly with pin 24. Pin 18 is jumpered to pin 12 per the jumper instructions (for -17 board to run two 2732 ROM's). And when I check for continuity from pin 18 to pin 24 I get a split second of continuity, then infinity.

I also pulled the U6 socket frame off the board to look underneath and inspect the pins. It is immaculate. No trace issues whatsoever, no solder bridges.

#28 3 years ago

If I remember correctly pin 24 is the 5 volt. It should have no continuity to apin 18. Did you also replace the socket at U2?

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Did you also replace the socket at U2?

No

#30 3 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

If I remember correctly pin 24 is the 5 volt. It should have no continuity to apin 18

In checking the resistance between pins 18 and 24, I measure 500 ohms with my leads one way, and when I reverse the leads I measure 1k ohms. These measurements are consistent and repeatable.

#31 3 years ago

Reading pinwiki and locked on LED says to check U9 pin 5 (VMA line) and I should get about 2.8V. In my case, I get 4.14V. Says if incorrect try a new U9, which I did. Then says to check U14D, U15C, U19B. U15 most likely IC to fail. My question: What am I supposed to be checking for on U14D, U15C, and U19B? Or is there something else you see with regards to the previous posts and measuring data?

#32 3 years ago

with U6 out, you were at 3.7v at the VMA with pulsing. Higher than 4 and no pulsing when you add U6. the VMA line feeds to that whole chain of chips you mentioned. The last output in the chain is at U15 pin 3. I think you already checked that, not sure. should be pulsing and around 2.0 volts. Check it without U6 in and then with U6. I think you will find it good and pulsing without U6, and the adding U6 will kill it.

Not sure if you checked this, but with U6 out probe all pins in the socket. all should have pulsing activity except pins 12, 22, and 24(ground and 5v).

#33 3 years ago

in my xp wrong VMA is a symptom of another problem more than than cause of a problem. ie two signal shorted together = wrong vma reading.

Pinwiki is probably talking about this string of gates, which snap shot is from a -35 schematic because it is easier to follow, but i think its the same on the -17 and has to be working. You can step through each one with a logic probe but something tells me the issue has a good chance to be a solder splash or short between IC socket, jumpers not set right. Exhaust thorough visual inspection and DMM buzz/logic probe check for shorts and opens.
Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png
gates at u15 seem to be the most likely ones to fail, like in clock area and the one with the 150ohm pullup.

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

I think you will find it good and pulsing without U6, and the adding U6 will kill it.

U15 pin 3 -- I get a pulse with and without U6.

Quoted from jj44114:

Not sure if you checked this, but with U6 out probe all pins in the socket. all should have pulsing activity except pins 12, 22, and 24(ground and 5v).

I get pulsing activity in all pins except 12, 18, and 24.
I do get pulse at pin 22. I also get pulse at 18. Per the mod, the trace to pin 18 is cut and a jumper is connected from pin 12 to 18.

Quoted from barakandl:

You can step through each one with a logic probe but something tells me the issue has a good chance to be a solder splash or short between IC socket, jumpers not set right.

I stepped through logic probe U14, 15 and 19. I get no pulse at U19 pins 8, 9 or 10, and U14 pins 11 or 12.

I have triple checked all the jumpers.

I will continue prying up socket frames and continuity checks. I have checked and double checked the work around U9, 10, and 11 and find nothing. The thing I keep coming back to is that this board was locked up before the sockets were replaced, so I think it's something that is (was) untouched.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

U9 pin 5 is not pulsing with U6 in. It is pulsing with U6 out.

yes. But just to check, I swapped it out again for a new one, tested in another game.

U19 pin 10 pulses with U6 out, and does not pulse with U6 in.
U15 pins 4,5 and 6 pulse with U6 out. With U6 in, pin 4 does not pulse, but 5 and 6 do.

U9 pin 5 measures 4.13 v with U6 in, and 3.7 v with U6 out.

You said U19 pulses at pin 10 with U6 out. and also that U15 pulses at pins 4-6? If that is true U 14 has to be pulsing at pins 11 and 12?

#36 3 years ago

you said you had pulsing at U15 pin 3. It is the last output in the chain

Quoted from JethroP:

I stepped through logic probe U14, 15 and 19. I get no pulse at U19 pins 8, 9 or 10, and U14 pins 11 or 12

This cant be right if U15 pin 3 is pulsing.

#37 3 years ago

I rechecked voltages and pulse activity on Andrew's drawing with U6 in and out. Here are the results. (NP=no pulse, P=pulse).

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 11.28.52 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-09-01 at 11.28.52 AM (resized).png
#38 3 years ago

With U6 pulled it actually looks like everything is about right. I know you dont want to hear this but did the game work at any point after you changed the jumpers for the 2732's?

#39 3 years ago

It wouldn’t hurt to post clear pics of both sides of the board. Maybe we’ll catch something with the jumpers/cuts that was overlooked.

#40 3 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

did the game work at any point after you changed the jumpers for the 2732's?

No. It didn't work before I changed the jumpers either.

#41 3 years ago

Is it significant that U19 pin 10 and U14 pin 11 voltage is low?

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from JethroP:

Game was working fine then one day decided not to boot.

Your first post.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Your first post.

yes, and your point?

#44 3 years ago

Just curious if the board worked before you changed the jumpers.

#45 3 years ago
Quoted from jj44114:

Just curious if the board worked before you changed the jumpers.

Yes, it worked up until the day it quit working. When it quit the LED was locked on. I just figured the old brown sockets should finally be replaced, U9 U10 and U11. The other sockets are not brown. So I replaced the 3 brown sockets and nothing changed. LED still locked on.

Then I replaced U7, U8, U9, U10 and U11 with known good chips and nothing changed. LED still locked on. So I figured the U2 and/or U6 went bad and bought two replacements....them being 2732's, so I did the jumper mod for the -17 board to accept two 2732's. I had done this mod on another -17 board recently and it worked fine.

Did the mod and installed the U2, U6, and all the others. Still LED locked on.

I never get a flicker.

So to answer your question, yes and no, the board worked before I did the jumpers (like when the board was new in 1979), but it quit working before I did the jumpers.

#46 3 years ago

If the 2732s were 2716's doubled up, it's not going to work. The board should have been jumpered for 2x2716 to do that.

You *really* need to get an eprom burner. Just saying.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

If the 2732s were 2716's doubled up, it's not going to work. The board should have been jumpered for 2x2716 to do that.
You *really* need to get an eprom burner. Just saying.

Don't know how I'd ever burn my own eproms when I don't even understand all this PROM, EPROM, ROM stuff! Bob, you're killing me!

So, I don't know. I had two original ROM's in U2 and U6. I bought replacements, U2 and U6 both 2732's. I tested them in a -35 board I have jumpered for 2732's and the board booted. So I believe I have two good 2732's for U2 and U6.

Not sure what you mean "2732s were 2716's doubled up." I didn't have files combined onto a single chip if that is what you are referring to.

I did the jumper mod as shown here, including the cuts and jumpers in section D.

I have quadruple checked that the jumpers are correct.
Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 11.01.05 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-09-02 at 11.01.05 AM (resized).png

#48 3 years ago

original board jumpers for 9316 address space: (Ignore what the numbers mean, just see that they match/don't match)

U2: $1000-$17FF
U6: $1800-$1FFF

board jumpered for 2x2716:

U2: $1000-$17FF
U6: $1800-$1FFF

board jumpered for 2x2732:

U2: $1000-$17FF (lower half of u2 2732) and $5000-$57ff (upper half of u2 2732)
U6: $1800-$1FFF (lower half of u6 2732) and $5800-$5FFF (upper half of u6 2732)

Likely the board would work jumpered for 2x2716. It really depends on what those 2732's you have are - are they a duplicate copy burned into each half of the 2732? (Which should work in theory) Or is it a full copy $1000-$1FFF in each (which will definitely NOT work)

You could verify this with a $35 eprom programmer easily. I don't know why people are afraid of doing things with eproms. Did you come roaring in knowing how to fix everything in a game? Of course not. Same thing with eproms. People will help you, help yourself.

No idea what the other board you have had working is jumpered for is it 2732's or 2716's? If it's 2716's.... there's your answer, jumper your board per the 2x2716 instructions instead of the 2x2732 instructions.

#49 3 years ago

OK...that sort of makes sense.
I've asked Andrew to chime in regarding exactly what he burned for me. Maybe the next step will be to try the different jumper settings. Will kinda suck as I have cut some of the traces for the 2732's, but no big deal if that solves the problem.

#50 3 years ago

Just look at your other board that the roms worked in - what game is it?

Re-reading the memory map I laid out really implies that it should work the way it is and I'll to think of why it shouldn't. Do you have any 2x2732 later games you can pull the chips from to test instead of the EK ones? Or do you have a leon test rom you can try?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 58 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/evel-knievel-won-t-boot?hl=brinard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.