image-33 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200403-210121 (resized).png
20200331_205232 (resized).jpg
20200403_172330 (resized).jpg
20200403_172414 (resized).jpg
20200403_172517 (resized).jpg
20200403_172340 (resized).jpg
20200403_172348 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BigAl56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 4 years ago

Nice first game. Lets see photos of the circuit boards. Essentially interested if the original battery is still mounted on the MPU. At minimum you will need to be able to resolder the connectors on the board.

Think of your project as a 64 Mustang barn find. It sort of runs but were going to help you fix it up.

#17 4 years ago

First of all, as a former engineer I would absolutely love a project game like this!
You have all the symptoms of a classic Bally in need of an electrical overhaul. I recommend the following on the to do list...

* Rebuild the Power supply board. It needs new filter caps, and you should order replacement fuses for that board. the HV fuse hack is dangerous.
* Rebuild the rectifier board by the transformer. The existing is badly hacked up.
* As for the MPU, very likely the battery has leaked and damaged the board. At minimum you need to remove the battery and replace with an NVRAM chip. However, given the age, I recommend a new Alltech or Weebly replacement MPU.

I would start with the power supply. Recap the filter caps and replace the fuse with an actual fuse. That fuse is an odd duck size but you can buy replacements. They are available. Check the HV and try to adjust it to around 185v or so. Resolder the connector pins and the flipper relay connections.
From there replace the rectifier board with a new style and rebuild the connectors.
Along the way make sure the game boots and the voltages are correct. When you finish rebuilding the PS and Rectifier and the game still boots then rebuild or replace the MPU.

#19 4 years ago

I've seen the posts about modding Bally boards to be 'bulletproof'. I'm reluctant to do so only because it does involve hacking up the boards and opens up the possibility of introducing another fault. There are thousands of unmodified board sets out there working fine with a few minor updates. If you do want to perform the mods I would recommend sending the boards out to a pro unless you are very confident on your tech and board soldering abilities.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 179.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BigAl56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/evel-knievel-ss-playfield-shuts-down-during-gameplay?tu=BigAl56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.