Screenshot_20200403-210121 (resized).png
20200331_205232 (resized).jpg
20200403_172330 (resized).jpg
20200403_172414 (resized).jpg
20200403_172517 (resized).jpg
20200403_172340 (resized).jpg
20200403_172348 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hey friends, looking for some help. This EK is my first pin. Purchased it in Dec from a widow in Cleveland who's husband had it for years. Cabinet and playfield very nice for age. Had it shipped to my home in TN. Played well at first, but occasionally the flippers/playfield would stop during play although the score/lights would stay illuminated. In the beginning it would reset if I turned it off or if it sat over night. Now it will only light up. Ran the self diagnostic test thats in the owners manual. A4 flashes 7 times and everything appears correct except 02 appears during what i think is the solenoid test??? I know very little about electrical, and thats putting it mildly. It appears it was last serviced in 1994 from a sticker on MPU board. Don't mind buying a new MPU board or anything it needs. Just don't want to throw $ at it when I may be better off taking it to Nashville for repair. Any help/guidance is appreciated. Thanks and be safe out there!!! Todd

#2 4 years ago

Todd

Now is a good time to expand your knowledge base of electronics. I suspect your 5 volts is dropping, which is causing the MPU to freeze.

Get a cheap multimeter, look at Utube to use the meter, then look at Pinwiki on how to troubleshoot the issue. You will need a schematic, which is available on IPDB.org

Post a few pics of the circuit boards in the head, especially the regulator board(lower right hand side with all the fuses), the MPU, (left side), and the SDB (solenoid driver board)on the right side.

Welcome!

#3 4 years ago

Reseat the top left 2 connectors on the MPU board (top left) and the top right 2 connectors on the solenoid driver board (top right board).

If this helps, it will only be a temporary fix.

#4 4 years ago

Thanks I appreciate the info. Will give it a shot later this evening. Have a great day!

#5 4 years ago

Take picture of MPU and voltage rectifier board and post

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Take picture of MPU and voltage rectifier board and post

This will help show if your game has been "bulletproofed" to make it working close to new or not. Original capacitors and connectors are high point failures in these older machines.

Congrats on your first game.

#7 4 years ago

Nice first game. Lets see photos of the circuit boards. Essentially interested if the original battery is still mounted on the MPU. At minimum you will need to be able to resolder the connectors on the board.

Think of your project as a 64 Mustang barn find. It sort of runs but were going to help you fix it up.

#8 4 years ago

Hey friends, used my Gramp's old Sears voltage tester to see 5v at all Roms, but only 4v at Rom above LED A4 and one above it is 4.5v.
Also, did reseat top 2 left connectors on MPU and top 2 right on solenoid board. No go.
Trying to upload pics now. Also, i have the original schematics and manual. Thanks for any info on whats next!

20200403_172330 (resized).jpg20200403_172330 (resized).jpg20200403_172340 (resized).jpg20200403_172340 (resized).jpg20200403_172348 (resized).jpg20200403_172348 (resized).jpg20200403_172414 (resized).jpg20200403_172414 (resized).jpg20200403_172517 (resized).jpg20200403_172517 (resized).jpg
#9 4 years ago

This the beast before it crapped out. Please let me know if any additional pics are needed. Pulled top off last week and noticed a regulator or something on left hand side near front of cabinet. Appeared to have had a metldown.

20200331_205232 (resized).jpg20200331_205232 (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200403-210121 (resized).pngScreenshot_20200403-210121 (resized).png
#10 4 years ago

Should I replace the MPU board???

#11 4 years ago

Replace the thermistor first. Look on the wiring schematic for the part number.

The thermistor is what burned up on the side of the cabinet.

#12 4 years ago

Will do. Thanks for heads-up. Be safe and have a great evening!

#13 4 years ago

Visually speaking, it looks like the MPU has battery corrosion on the board. That appears to be an original 43 year old battery. I would put it on my list to replace the battery or the MPU. Also, the rectifier and transformer look like they have been hacked. It should be mounted on the side of the inside of the cabinet, as shown below (IPDB photo). The connectors on it definitely look like they're in need of replacing. By now, most of them are in need of replacement. Marco has a kit, if you're into soldering. You'll also need a crimping tool.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/CKBLY

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007JLN93S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

image-33 (resized).jpgimage-33 (resized).jpg

#14 4 years ago

5101 NVRAM is plug and play in EK and gets rid of that battery.
https://www.pinitech.com/products/5101_nvram.php

#15 4 years ago

Before I'd do anything...I would sort out that recifier board.

That thing is a hacked up mess.

#16 4 years ago

Fuse on Solenoid Driver Board appears to be jumped with a wire!

nofuse (resized).pngnofuse (resized).png
#17 4 years ago

First of all, as a former engineer I would absolutely love a project game like this!
You have all the symptoms of a classic Bally in need of an electrical overhaul. I recommend the following on the to do list...

* Rebuild the Power supply board. It needs new filter caps, and you should order replacement fuses for that board. the HV fuse hack is dangerous.
* Rebuild the rectifier board by the transformer. The existing is badly hacked up.
* As for the MPU, very likely the battery has leaked and damaged the board. At minimum you need to remove the battery and replace with an NVRAM chip. However, given the age, I recommend a new Alltech or Weebly replacement MPU.

I would start with the power supply. Recap the filter caps and replace the fuse with an actual fuse. That fuse is an odd duck size but you can buy replacements. They are available. Check the HV and try to adjust it to around 185v or so. Resolder the connector pins and the flipper relay connections.
From there replace the rectifier board with a new style and rebuild the connectors.
Along the way make sure the game boots and the voltages are correct. When you finish rebuilding the PS and Rectifier and the game still boots then rebuild or replace the MPU.

#18 4 years ago

Al
How do you feel about the bulletproofing of the Boards? I noticed you did not mention anything about doing that.

#19 4 years ago

I've seen the posts about modding Bally boards to be 'bulletproof'. I'm reluctant to do so only because it does involve hacking up the boards and opens up the possibility of introducing another fault. There are thousands of unmodified board sets out there working fine with a few minor updates. If you do want to perform the mods I would recommend sending the boards out to a pro unless you are very confident on your tech and board soldering abilities.

#20 4 years ago

The only bulletproofing I like is the mod to not use the connector pins to carry the +5v from one section of the SDB to the other. The other common ones I'm on the fence about, I may or may not do them. (Beyond the replacing of capacitors).

#21 4 years ago

Thanks everyone for the info! Really appreciate it. I'm only into this pin for $1200. So I don't have a problem putting some money into it to make it tip top since its a keeper. Feel more comfortable taking it to someone who repairs these when things get back to normal in TN. Rather pay to have it repaired correctly, than mess it up myself. Maybe someone on this forum know's where to take it in Nashville area?? I'm in Columbia (30 miles south of Nashville) and it does not appear that anyone here local repairs these. Thanks again everybody for your time. Be safe out there!!!

#22 4 years ago

Burtucky-

Several people to send your boards to. Chris Hibler, several others on the site. Do a search for board repair- there’s several you will find.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 179.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/evel-knievel-ss-playfield-shuts-down-during-gameplay?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.