(Topic ID: 211567)

"Evel Knievel" SS or Bally "Eight Ball" ?

By Mercury

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Pinslot
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which is better: "Evel Knievel" SS or Bally "Eight Ball"?”

• Evel Knievel SS 12 votes
    57%
  • Eight Ball 9 votes
    43%

(21 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2013-254 (resized).jpg
Overall_view (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Which do you prefer and why? Also does anyone know how you spell "Super" on

EK?

Overall_view (resized).jpgOverall_view (resized).jpg

2013-254 (resized).jpg2013-254 (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago

Eight ball can be found for a lot cheaper than EK and is pretty fun, EK is EK however...

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from mrossman5:

I have a thing for EBD. Love that game.

Eight Ball and Eight Ball Deluxe are two different games

#5 6 years ago

I've owned two Eight Balls but only played PAPA's EK, but it seemed that at least in competition EK was just shooting the spinner, recovering, and then shooting the spinner again for as long as possible. On EB you're just shooting the spinner from the right flipper, while from the left you've got the eight ball or the bank shot to go for, a bit more variety, and both sides can be valuable enough depending on the rest of the game state to make you consider passing the ball over to the other flipper to shoot for them.
For games where much of the gameplay involves going back up top, I prefer the nudging play of EB's four lanes, plus the arrows on the middle, and the possibility of going around the bank shot from the right lane to EK where there's basically just the center lane and two dead bumpers.
I also find EB harder to get control of than EK with its larger slingshots and no left inlane, which for games as simple as they are I consider a positive.

I'm sure someone with more EK experience can offer a more refined opinion on it...

Quoted from Mercury:

Also does anyone know how you spell "Super" on

EK?

I think how it works is that when you go in the top saucer, you get whichever letter is lit above it. Maybe there's another way too...

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Eight Ball and Eight Ball Deluxe are two different games

Whoops. Must have missed that

#7 6 years ago

i do like both but im a little bias because i own an EK and it is awesome. so obviously my vote is on EK. as for your question on how to light super... when the ball drops in the top hole whatever letter is pointed at by the lit arrow will light. you can sometimes nudge and bump a bit when its about to go into the hole to get the letter that you want because the EK pop like things to either side of the hole change the lit arrow letter light. and there is the very dangerous red center target that will light whatever letter the arrow is pointing to when hit. the spinners also change the position of the arrow.

#8 6 years ago

Eight Ball is good but EK is better

#9 6 years ago

also something to note, in case you were unsure, when you light super you get an extra ball typically (depending on game settings). When you knock down all the drop targets it light the spinners, causing them to be 1000 per turn rather than 10 per turn. this is why people in comp. shoot for the spinners so often. but man does it feel great when you rip one through the spinner at high speeds for a 1000 per turn.

#10 6 years ago

I own EB and it's a lot of fun and brutal to play. EV however has a great theme for its time and of course drop targets. Drop targets always win!

#11 6 years ago

Thanks for all the replies. 2 great and closely matched tables by Bally.

#12 6 years ago

You can't go wrong with either of these classics, but if I had to choose, EB has more shots with both flippers. Especially when playing at home it's fun to pick off all the pool balls and you are forced to tap pass from right to left to shoot for the kickback target to cover your ass on the left bucket-size outline.

#13 6 years ago

On reflection, as they play so differently, you need to get both

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Tehachapi, CA
$ 179.00
$ 179.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 99.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/evel-knievel-ss-or-bally-eight-ball?hl=pinslot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.