Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

006 (resized).JPG
    004 (resized).JPG
    #1 4 years ago

I have replaced 3 out of 4 boards with Alltek boards but they won't respond to my questions. Here are my voltage readings.
    MPU
    TP1 .122VDC looking for 5
    TP2 44.5VDC looking for 43
    TP3 Ground
    TP4 .124VDC looking for 5
    TP5 Fluxuating looking for VMA?
    TP6 Zero Crossing ?

Solenoid Driver Board
    TP1 243.9VDC looking for 240
    TP2 187.3VDC looking for 180
    TP3 -.38VDC looking for 3.3
    TP4 15.4VDC looking for 12
    TP5 No test point
    TP6 .173VDC looking for 5
    TP7 44.4VDC looking for 43

Power Supply
    TP1 6.03VDC looking for 5.4
    TP2 240.5VDC looking for 230
    TP3 15.45VDC looking for 11.9
    TP4 6.88VAC looking for 7.3
    TP5 44.4VDC looking for 43

Any idea of where to start would be appreciated or if someone in the Cincinnati, Ohio area that could help/fix would be appreciated. I attached a picture of the backboard with the overvoltage light on the MPU board lit.

004 (resized).JPG004 (resized).JPG
    #2 4 years ago

Unhook your lower left hand board and see if it boots and plays. Also double check your dip switches and make sure you have the proper game set up and that it's on free play.

#3 4 years ago

I pulled the 4 connectors off of the Lamp Driver Board and that didn't make any difference. I don't have the old board to compare the dip switch position that I set up when I installed the new board but I remember double checking these several times. How do I make sure it is on free play? Thanks

#4 4 years ago
    Quoted from sunshine131:

How do I make sure it is on free play?

1st game selector dip switch up.

#6 4 years ago

I switched the 1st game selector switch up, it was down. There are no flashes on the MPU, just the red overvoltage light on steady.

006 (resized).JPG006 (resized).JPG
    #7 4 years ago

Power supply voltage is good. Your 5V section is weak on SDB & MPU. The 5V is needed at the MPU to start the boot process.

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from sunshine131:

I switched the 1st game selector switch up, it was down. There are no flashes on the MPU, just the red overvoltage light on steady.

Least of your problem. That setting does nothing to the start up sequence. The red light means your missing the 5V at the MPU. Were the connectors repined? Housings look new.

#9 4 years ago

Yes I repinned them

#10 4 years ago

Check your SDB plug J3 pins 16 & 17, they send the 5V to the MPU. See if you have 5V at the connector.

#11 4 years ago

It looks like either you or someone previous replaced all the connectors & contacts. This is likely your problem, or maybe the J3 on the power supply was not done or original. Dave explained to me in the past over voltage LED will be on due to low voltage as seen by your voltages. I would post pictures of transformer board! I see the power supply was done. Verify your power for 5v to driver & mpu, from the transformer. Guess you are missing something. Red wire #8 on top right side driver board is important.

#12 4 years ago

.1VDC at the connector.

#13 4 years ago

looks like the 5v LED is not lit on the sdb/v-reg board but the 12v LED is lit. I'd take that to mean the 12v to 5v voltage regulator is not working or it is in a shutdown mode because over current (short circuit).

With just the top right connector on the driver board and rectifier board connectors on. MPU bot left unplugged, lamp driver top left unplugged, all display unplugged. Try to power on and see if the 5v LED comes on the driver board. If the 5v LED still does not come on the driver board regulator is not working or is still in a shutdown mode. At that point I'd think there is a problem with the SDB/V-Reg board or something is really wrong with the connector. Like one of the 5v pins at the top right plug of SDB/V-Reg board is swapped with ground when it was repinned.

#14 4 years ago

Also the loop wire at the bottom of the top right solenoid harness can be a problem. So check all your wires are correct!

#15 4 years ago

I unplugged the connectors on the driver board, MPU, and the lamp driver and the 5V light is now on the solenoid driver board.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from sunshine131:

.1VDC at the connector.

Assuming you have a schematic, double check all the connector wire color to each connector pin on the SDB J3 & J4.

#17 4 years ago

I don't have a schematic (wish I did). But I did one pin at a time. Sounds like I need to check each pin connection. Thanks

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from sunshine131:

I unplugged the connectors on the driver board, MPU, and the lamp driver and the 5V light is now on the solenoid driver board.

A circuit board likely has a short. You can use a DMM to check resistance from the 5v to ground test point on each board and see if any read 0 ohm or close to zero ohm.

Could also plug in one board at a time looking for the one that is dragging down the 5v.... but that can be kind of dangerous if the short clears it self with brute force... like a capacitor explodes.

#19 4 years ago

i bet if you pull up on the long connector on your power supply board it will start to work....probably a bad solder joint on the pins....very common.....

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

A circuit board likely has a short. You can use a DMM to check resistance from the 5v to ground test point on each board and see if any read 0 ohm or close to zero ohm.
    Could also plug in one board at a time looking for the one that is dragging down the 5v.... but that can be kind of dangerous if the short clears it self with brute force... like a capacitor explodes.

It's running Alltek boards which in my experience are pretty rock solid. Rectifier voltages are good. Unless a pin was repined to the wrong wire, I'm thinking connector issue.

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from Startek2:

i bet if you pull up on the long connector on your power supply board it will start to work....probably a bad solder joint on the pins....very common.....

New board.

#22 4 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

It's running Alltek boards which in my experience are pretty rock solid. Rectifier voltages are good. Unless a pin was repined to the wrong wire, I'm thinking connector issue.

His sdb 5v led lights up when he unplug most of the boards. That most likely means one board is causing the voltage regulator to go into shutdown mode because over current is detected.

It could be a connector pinned wrong, lamp driver or any display has a 5v short. The new replacement boards are likely fine.

#24 4 years ago

Thanks for the schematic. I'll verify the connectors.

#25 4 years ago

I spoke with Dave from Alltek today and he found that I had installed the MPU board incorrectly grounding it out. Thanks for everyones input!

#26 4 years ago

Ahh.... yeah I did not even notice at first that you had the MPU justified to the top instead of the bottom. Must have had 5v touching the grounded mounting rails somewhere which made the regulator go into overcurrent shut down.

have fun

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/evel-knievel-powers-up-that-s-it?hl=tomdrum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.