Evel Knievel Pinball switch circuit problem

By fourevervintage

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Hello fellow pinsiders,
This is the first time I have posted here. I have an Evel Knievel pinball with a problem that I cannot isolate. I have a particular circuit that is not functioning properly. In the wiring diagram it shows that they are interconnected to each other. The outhole, left outlane, L & R feeder lanes & top bumper are involved. The switches are all normally open. I have checked continuity between the switches and the connector J2 and everything checks ok. The switches are not being seen by the MPU in test mode and in gameplay. All the boards are new except the Lamp driver board. I have replaced J2 connecter & pins. The diagram shows that the 70 wire common comes off J2. Everything else works on game. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Fred

#2 6 years ago

Fred
Did you check the other connector for that row of switches? I'm not near my schematics, but check the connector that feeds the loop.

#3 6 years ago

The connector J2 has been replaced and according to the schematic all communication goes thru that connector. I have read that this switch circuit is a matrix. This version is a 8 X 5 matrix. This sequence is a row of switches at the bottom of the schematic. I am not sure how to check this. Since this matrix is only 40 switches I will begin to check continuity with all the switches. Maybe a working circuit is affecting this particular line of switches. There are 5 different wires in columns feeding each of those switches so I will check those other pins off the connector. Thanks Bill for your input. Schematic reading and understanding is not my strongpoint.

#4 6 years ago

What's common to your fault description is that "70 wire". It's the switch row return line "I7" to the MPU board at connector J2 pin 15 for all those switches that aren't functioning. For whatever reason, the MPU board isn't seeing changes on that signal.

Disconnect connector J2 from the MPU board, then power the machine on and start a game. Very briefly jumper a wire directly at the J2 pins on the MPU board between pin 4 and pin 15. Does the game respond by awarding the L & R feeder lanes scores?

FYI the "70" on that signal refers to the wire color - in this case it's just Orange. If you look at the system wiring page in the schematics, there's a small color table indicating what the numbers mean. See these posts below for details - hope they make sense.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ss-bally-black-jack-help-please#post-3342615

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/inline-cave-targets-dont-drop-at-end-of-game-trapping-ball#post-3191997

#5 6 years ago

I will try the jumper between pin 4 & 15. Presently changing connector J3 with new connector and pins. After that I will jumper and post here with results. If the L & R feeder lanes scores, what is it telling us? Is it that it is not the MPU. I was aware of the color coding and do have a chart on the schematics. Earlier today did go into the switch test and the display showed "0" so no closed switches. Just for the heck of it I checked all the diodes in the switch matrix and all checked ok. Thanks for your help Quench !

#6 6 years ago

Hey Quench,
You won't believe this but your jumper did not add scoring. I assume this tells me that the problem is with the MPU. We had the old boards with corrosion damage and reinstalled them and was able to enter in the test's. Every switch in the matrix was working just fine. We are contacting the board manufacturer to get an exchange for a new MPU. Glad to know what's wrong ! Only frustrated that time was spent looking for the problem that came from something I expected to be the cure. Again thanks for your assistance Quench. May ask for help again one day. Have a Stern Stars that will get to shortly. If any problems arise I will post in this forum.

Fred

#7 6 years ago

That I7 switch return signal goes to one of the 6821 PIA chips on the MPU board (the board has two of these 40 pin chips).
Evel Knievel does not use that signal on the other 6821 PIA chip.

That I7 switch return signal also goes to the slam switch on the front door via J3 on the MPU board. If the game does not reset when you activate the slam switch, the PIA chip might be faulty.
If you're feeling courageous, you can try swapping the two 6821 PIA chips around to prove it.

#8 6 years ago

Will check the slam switch today. If it does not work I will try the 6821 swap. I will leave feedback here to let you know the results. I was a field technician for a couple of years in the early 1980's. Dealt with obvious problems on the field and maintenance. We carried repaired boards for easy swap out. Bad boards were tagged for board tech with symptoms. Thanks again for your Help !

Fred

#9 6 years ago

Quench, Just wanted to let you know the 6821 swap did not work. I even tried with the 6821's off the original board. Will have to exchange boards. Hopefully no more issues.

Fred

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/evel-knievel-pinball-switch-circuit-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.