(Topic ID: 143820)

Evel Knievel Home version worth Restoring?

By Sabre68

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by vid1900
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20210208_160331 (resized).jpg
76EvelKnievel21.jpg
evel-knievel-home_004.jpg

#1 5 years ago

Hello,
I was just wondering what fellow pinsiders think about the EK home version.
Are they worth anything once they are restored? Can parts be found easily?
What are the differences, other than no coin doors?
Thanks

#2 5 years ago

Theyre crap

No

No

76EvelKnievel21.JPG

evel-knievel-home_004.jpg

#3 5 years ago

Does look hokey compared to the real deal. That call is left to the buyer.........

#4 5 years ago

No parts, and it has no value.

If you get the game for free and can get it running for very short money, it can be ok. However, nobody will buy it from you. And if they do, it will be for almost nothing. So you would only be doing it for the passion of pinball. If you can deal with that, have at it. But I'd leave it alone.

#5 5 years ago

I owned a fireball home model. I had to replace that center target at the top of the playfield and was only able to do it because someone had parted out their machine. Very little on these are what I would call 'real' pinball parts. Walk away.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from Sabre68:

Are they worth anything once they are restored?

Most I've ever seen one sell for $300 and it looked like no one ever played it.

Usually are $100-200.

Quoted from Sabre68:

Can parts be found easily?

Most of them.

Quoted from Sabre68:

What are the differences, other than no coin doors?

Simplified playfield layout.

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from AZDbacker:

I owned a fireball home model. I had to replace that center target at the top of the playfield and was only able to do it because someone had parted out their machine.

You can get those now for $4 from PBR:

http://pbresource.com/special.html

#8 5 years ago

I've got EK and FB home versions in storage (bought them very cheap as part of a lot). Haven't had time to run more than a few balls through each, but I'm not sure why there's so little love for them. They sure don't feel like "real" pinball machines, but as far as I am concerned they're close enough to the real thing to be pretty fun. For $250, what are your other options? Broken scary clown EMs with blown out BGs? Are these really so widely preferred?

The Bally home versions, "Series 1" in particular (which EK is), have pretty lame power supplies. Problems with the five volt section have widely caused logic board failures---which is the main thing to look out for. You probably should not pay much of anything for an Bally home version that does not boot.

#9 5 years ago

Repair information:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally_Home_Models

Many parts are the standard coin op parts (flippers, slingshots, pop bumpers, etc).

John Robertson at flippers.com now sells special parts to repair the cpu boards in the home models.

#10 5 years ago

Also, FWIW, the above photos reflect a glass off shot of the coin-op version with either a CPR playfield, a restored playfield, or a bizarrely clean playfield and a fairly ratty, planked home version under glass.

If condition was equal, the art and layout are still better on the coin-op version, but the apparent difference would be less stark.

The home layout (which is pretty much the same on all Bally home versions) is obviously pretty bare without drops and with so few stand up targets. I didn't play enough of it to really even figure out the rules, but it is hard to imagine they put together an engaging rule set with so little to work with.

Also, for each one of these out there, someone once spent something >$1,500 in 2015 dollars to own it. Which isn't to say I think they're undervalued at the $150-$300 they are worth today, only that at some point, people must have found them at least mildly amusing.

#11 5 years ago

Thanks for all the advice! I almost went to pick it up and then checked this post and you guyz changed my mind.

Quoted from anthony691:

The Bally home versions, "Series 1" in particular (which EK is), have pretty lame power supplies. Problems with the five volt section have widely caused logic board failures---which is the main thing to look out for. You probably should not pay much of anything for an Bally home version that does not boot.

Seller wants $100 for the machine and says it lights up but does not boot.
Thanks again for all the comments and pics!!!

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Sabre68:

That's bad.

I would not pay $100 for a Home Bally that does not boot!

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Sabre68:

Thanks for all the advice! I almost went to pick it up and then checked this post and you guyz changed my mind.

Thanks again for all the comments and pics!!!

If it is nearby, you might want to check it out with a DMM if you're interested. If +5v meters good on the MPU, stay away (an $80 replacement CPU is probably in your future, in addition to substantial likelihood of frustration). If there's no +5v at the MPU, might be a good project If you could haggle him down.

No +5v at MPU would indicate PS or connector problem (the PS is dead simple, but I'm pretty sure it has something like a 20,000mf 16v cap in the +5v section that would probably run $20 if replacement is needed). Of course, after power is restored you might still have a dead MPU.

If the "overvoltage fried the MPU" story about these things is accurate, does anyone have any insight about the design flaw in the PS that led to the 5v regulator failing so often?

1 week later
#14 5 years ago

If you are out, I would be interested

5 years later
#15 8 months ago

The pbresource site referenced by vid1900 (#7 above) for obtaining replacement targets for the Bally home pb models (like Evel Knievel & Fireball) doesn't carry the correct replacement target & microswitch assembly as vid1900 suggests. I knew they weren't correct replacements, but I bought a handful of them anyway (only $4 each) thinking that I could do necessary modifications to make them work on my Evel Knievel home model. I checked all over the internet and couldn't find correct replacements so I finally settled on the pbresource targets. All 3 targets on my Evel Knievel home pb work intermittently, and I plan on replacing them in the near future with the ones from pbresource. The pbresource targets activate the microswitch but to make them fit on the Evel Knievel home model the target stem must be bent 90 degrees, and the microswitch portion of the assembly must be screwed to the underside of the pf instead of being directly soldered to the pc board beneath the pf as it is on the OEM game. The pbresource assembly doesn't have the electrical leads located in the right places for directly soldering to the pc board, so I will have to solder 2-wires to the microswitch leads with the other ends of the wires soldered to the pc board. I haven't done this yet, but it's on my to-do list. To summarize, if you intend to use the pbresource target/microswitch as replacement assemblies on the Bally home model pb's, you must 1) bend the target stem 90 degrees, and 2) attach the microswitch to the underside of the pf, and electrically connect the microswitch to the pc board by soldering in 2-new wires. Another option I will investigate is to take the microswitches apart (both OEM and the one from pbresource) and see if the OEM target stem will properly fit into the pbresource microswitch - if this works it will avoid having to bend the pbresource target stem, but the other mods will still be necessary.

#16 8 months ago
Quoted from AZDbacker:

I owned a fireball home model. I had to replace that center target at the top of the playfield and was only able to do it because someone had parted out their machine. Very little on these are what I would call 'real' pinball parts.

Actually, all the mechanical assemblies are real commercial parts right from the stockroom. The electronics are cheap and unreliable though.

#17 8 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That's bad.
I would not pay $100 for a Home Bally that does not boot!

Agreed, I wouldn't touch one for free.

#18 8 months ago

"Real" EK's can still be found cheap. My last in 2020 was $450 fully working. It will need a hardtop at some point but why put money in a toy game.

#19 8 months ago

Ever since the episode of Pawn Stars featuring EK the value and selling price has skyrocketed. I doubt you can get one for $450 unless it's totally trashed.

#20 8 months ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

Ever since the episode of Pawn Stars featuring EK the value and selling price has skyrocketed. I doubt you can get one for $450 unless it's totally trashed.

Cheapest I've seen was $700 and that was at least 5 years ago, in Canada....

I paid $1400 2 years ago and it's in the middle of a pf swap, not by choice -

Looks like it was well loved though, the owner won it at a bowling alley raffle for $1 a million years ago.

20210208_160331 (resized).jpg

#21 8 months ago
Quoted from BigAl56:

My $450 EK was a Pro Pinball conversion that the owner had removed the overlay so he knew it was an EK. That was his asking price and I didn't dicker. Worked 100% with an upgraded MPU. It's getting a cabinet repaint, new BG and a hardtop.

#22 8 months ago
Quoted from golfergordy:

The pbresource site referenced by vid1900 (#7 above) for obtaining replacement targets for the Bally home pb models (like Evel Knievel & Fireball) doesn't carry the correct replacement target & microswitch assembly as vid1900 suggests. I knew they weren't correct replacements, but I bought a handful of them anyway (only $4 each) thinking that I could do necessary modifications to make them work on my Evel Knievel home model.

Where are you even seeing those Bally switches on PBR?

They have been sold out for many years (unless I missed a batch).

#23 8 months ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Where are you even seeing those Bally switches on PBR?
They have been sold out for many years (unless I missed a batch).

They are in the "Special when lit" section on the website

2 weeks later
#24 7 months ago
Quoted from pincoin:

Yes, in the "Special when lit" section. Scroll down the list of parts and stop at the part called "Brunswick Microswitch Stand-Up Target and Bracket". This isn't a direct replacement part for the Bally home model games but it looks to me like with some modifications they could be used in these games since you can't find the correct Bally replacement parts. I have the Evel Knievel home model with 3 stand-up targets and they don't register every time the ball hits one. I tried activating the target switches by pressing the target with my finger, and even though I hear the switch click, it doesn't always register on the score board. I want to replace these target/microswitches with the ones from pbresource (I bought 7 of them for $4 each) but haven't done so yet. It appears that you must bend the target stem 90-degrees so that the switch will fit in the narrow space beneath the pf, with the target positioned in the correct position on the pf (you must be very careful to bend the target stem in the correct place). Then you must rework the switch bracket so it attaches to the switch in such a position so that it can also be screwed into the underside of the pf to hold the assembly rigid (you might need to shim it so the target is in the correct position). Also, you must solder wires onto the switch leads and into the correct locations on the pc board and make the wires long enough for ease of future removal of the pc board. I bought 7 of these pbresource target/microswitches because I figured that I might ruin a few trying to get them correctly modified and then hopefully I'll also have a few spares.

#25 7 months ago
Quoted from pincoin:

I see the Brunswick, but I don't see the Bally home listed any longer.

Looks like even all the Bally Vector ramps are history...

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside