• Latest reply 1 year ago by BigAl56
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 1 year ago

Was blowing f4 fuse Swapped out rectifier board now game will boot up but either have to unplug j1 on mpu or unplug j4 on lamp board can’t have both please help

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from BRIANPG:

but either have to unplug j1 on mpu or unplug j4 on lamp board

Why are you doing this?

#3 1 year ago

The game will not boot up if both are plugged in at the same time I get 4 or five flashes on mpu

#4 1 year ago

The F4 fuse is for solenoids. Pull the 1 amp slo blow under the PF and try to start it with everything plugged in. Double check the rectifier wiring too.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5 1 year ago
Quoted from BRIANPG:

but either have to unplug j1 on mpu or unplug j4 on lamp board can’t have both

Are you by chance plugging J4 on the lamp driver board upside down? The connectors on the lamp driver board are numbered in reverse to the other boards, i.e. pin 1 is at the bottom, not the top.

Whatever's going on, your lamp driver board seems to be shorting the lamp data bus from the MPU board which can cause the MPU board LED to only flash 3 times on power-up.

#6 1 year ago

No fuse or don’t see one on Evel Knievel wires are right on rectifier board

#7 1 year ago

Have you repined? Take out the wiring diagram and go through each wire on those connections and verify the keying of the connector. It's either a bad lamp board or a wiring/connector issue.

#8 1 year ago

I’m doing connectors now

1 month later
#9 1 year ago

Ok let me try to say this right. Game will not boot up with everything plugged in. If I unplug j4 on ldb it will boot and play with no playfield lights. If I plug j4 back in and unplug j1 j2 j3 it will boot up but no playfield lights. If I plug all plugs back in and unplug j1 on mpu it will boot up but no playfield lights. Just don’t know where to go from here. Yes these r all newer boards and I even have other new boards that I tried and same thing. Thanks

#10 1 year ago

I think you have a hard short on one or a group of your switched lamps. When you drive the lamp or group of lamps its lowering the 5v and the game will not boot. When it does not boot do you get any MPU flashes? Or is it dead? What do the voltage indicators on the MPU look like when the game is not booting?

First thing you want to do is to pull the backbox wiring schematic and confirm each wire color against each connector pin to make sure every wire is inserted into the correct shell hole.

Next, plug in J4 with the other connectors unplugged. Then plug J1, 2, & ,3 one at a time to narrow the problem down to a single plug. Once you've narrowed the problem down to a single plug pull every wire from that plug and reseat them one at a time until the game stops booting.

Monitor the voltages at every step to confirm that certain wires are causing the voltage to drop.

#11 1 year ago

Have not been able to do what u said yet but now with all pins plugged in if I take out pin 14 red/ yellow on j1 mpu. It will boot up but only some lights on on playfield but they stay on

#12 1 year ago

J1-14 is an address line for the lamps. I'm guessing with that line removed the problem lamp will not come on and that's why the game boots. Examine the lamps that are not lighting. Look for a short. If you can't find it you will have to do what I say and pull the wires from the connectors and reseat them individually until you can narrow it down to a specific wire or group.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/evel-knievel-boot-up-problems?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.