FBD3021F-A3F1-4755-BDED-1DBBA0A06E53 (resized).png
SDB_J3_Errors.png
ED781534-FD22-4290-85FE-56F26AC1EDD2 (resized).jpeg
596DD58D-9220-4E8D-931B-1F5594B1944E (resized).jpeg
#1 1 year ago

Ok here’s a new one for me. I have a Bally 1977 Evel Knievel SS
Thanks! Ed

#2 1 year ago

Sorry hit send before finishing. I have the entire game working 100%. It has all new Alltek boards (mpu, SDB and lamp driver board). All voltages are correct where they should be. I have 183 v coming to all the red wires on the original Bally displays and 5v coming to the displays too. However I have NO displays at all. The orange dot comes on when the game boots up but displays do not register. The black wire at mpu J1-1 and blue wire at mpu J1-2 both have good connectivity. I re-pinned that entire connector. I check continuity for the mpu connector to the displays. All good.

All fuses have been tested off the boards including the fuse on the SDB. All good. My rectifier is a new Gulf Pinball rectifier. Proper voltages going to the SDB (also re-pinned connector J3 on the SDB).

I’m stumped. What could it be?

Thanks! Ed

#3 1 year ago

Connections.

#4 1 year ago

I actually just swapped out the Gulf pinball rectifier for a new Xpin rectifier just to be sure. Still no difference.
I’m getting 178.2 VDC at tp2 on the display.

596DD58D-9220-4E8D-931B-1F5594B1944E (resized).jpeg596DD58D-9220-4E8D-931B-1F5594B1944E (resized).jpegED781534-FD22-4290-85FE-56F26AC1EDD2 (resized).jpegED781534-FD22-4290-85FE-56F26AC1EDD2 (resized).jpeg
#5 1 year ago

Quench do you see anything I missed?

#6 1 year ago

You clear your RAM on that MPU?

#7 1 year ago

Yes I pressed the reset button

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from ezed123:

Yes I pressed the reset button

I haven't been in those boards in awhile is there a reset where you turn all the dip switches one direction and power on?

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from ezed123:

@Quench do you see anything I missed?

I see you've got some Wolffpac LED displays which don't use the high voltage. Are they working?

If you've got a logic probe, are you getting any activity on the blanking signal at the displays (pin 7 of the 4543 chip on the display board)?

#10 1 year ago

I don’t have a logic probe. Is there some way to test with my DMM? Yes I have Wolfpack led displays that I tried with the fuse pulled on the SDB. The led displays DO work but the light output is noticeably dimmer on those displays than it should be. I pulled the led displays from another working Evel Knievel game for testing and they are a lot dimmer than they were in the other EK game.

What should I try next? The peculiar thing is that the Bally displays did work up until a few days ago. And I did remember to put the fuse back in the SDB when I went back to the original Bally displays

#11 1 year ago

@EJS. I just looked up the Alltek board memory reset procedure. It says you set the first switch to zero then all other switches to 1. Power up the game and all logic memory will be cleared in 2 seconds. Then put dip switches back to game settings and boot up.

I have not tried that sequence yet so I will do that today and report back

Thanks.

#12 1 year ago

Try and get just one display functioning. I would start with a Wolfpack because they don't care about the 183v. All the boards are new. It could be a bad decoder chip or wire loading down the blanking line which comes in on pin 7 on all the displays originating from J1-10 of the MPU. If that line is being held down or not connecting all the displays will be blanked out.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from ezed123:

The peculiar thing is that the Bally displays did work up until a few days ago.

What change did you make just before the displays stopped working?

Quoted from ezed123:

I don’t have a logic probe. Is there some way to test with my DMM?

Compare the voltage on pin 7 of any display 4543 chip to one in your other working game. See if there's a noticeable variance between games.

#14 1 year ago

Ok here are my findings:
Quench I checked voltage on pin 7 of the Bally display chip 4543 on the problem EK game. 1.87VDC

Put that same display in the working EK game
.52 VDC

For reference I checked the 6 digit display on my Bally Skateball game.
.54 VDC on pin #7

Obviously a discrepancy.

BigAl56 I took all 5 of the Wolfpack LED displays from the working EK game and put them all into the problem EK game. All displays worked. Played a 4 player game by hand and all displays scores correctly.
The issue is all 5 displays are noticeably dimmer that they are on the working EK game they came from. I tried connecting just 1 display on player 1 with the others disconnected - same issue. The only thing I notice with the Wolfpack displays in the trouble game is that the 1 and 10 digits are very dim and all the other digits are somewhat brighter (but not nearly bright enough to be normal)

Last thing. I did the Alltek memory wipe procedure and that did not help.

#15 1 year ago

BigAl56 Not sure if voltage matters but I am getting .529 VDC at the orange wire on my display connector that you were referencing. I also checked continuity from A4J1-10 to the display and the orange wire does tone out.

#16 1 year ago

Quench you asked what change did I make? The on,y change I made was re-pin the J3 connector on the SDB just to make sure my power connections were good from the rectifier. I did go through that connector again to make sure all wires are in the correct position and all pins are good and tight

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from ezed123:

The on,y change I made was re-pin the J3 connector on the SDB just to make sure my power connections were good from the rectifier.

When you did this, did you cut all the wires then use the schematics as a reference for where the wires go back in the housing? Because the solenoid driver board has errors with the J3 connector wiring with respect to the displays. See the below diagram showing the corrections in red.

Quoted from ezed123:

I did the Alltek memory wipe procedure and that did not help.

Swap the MPU boards between the working game and the non-working game and see what happens.

SDB_J3_Errors.pngSDB_J3_Errors.png

#18 1 year ago

Quench thanks for getting back to me with this info. So I see what you are showing me but which wire positions would I need to change? I did follow the schematic with respect to wire colors. It looks like the schematic I was using IS correct? I have the solid brown wire (60) in pin position 20 and the green/white wire (45) in pin position 17. So it appears I do have the wires in the correct positions?

I will swap MPUs and report back but please let me know if you think I have the A3J3 connector correct as I do have it pinned as per the attached schematic

FBD3021F-A3F1-4755-BDED-1DBBA0A06E53 (resized).pngFBD3021F-A3F1-4755-BDED-1DBBA0A06E53 (resized).png
#19 1 year ago
Quoted from ezed123:

It looks like the schematic I was using IS correct?

The wiring diagram is ok.
Sometimes the white-blue wire gets stained and looks like the grey-blue wire. Are they mixed up?
Also easy to mix up the green-white wire with the white-green wire.

#20 1 year ago

I’ll check those and get back to you Quench
Thank you

#21 1 year ago

SOLVED! So after suggestions from Quench and BigAl56 I continued to look at the blanking wire and the 2 wires from J3 connector on the SDB. After I re-pinned the J3 connector on SDB, wire 20 was not making consistent contact with the board. This was discovered after re-pinning that wire (again) and making sure the connector was tight.

Thank you everyone. I’m learning a lot lately from you all! Ed

#22 1 year ago

Hmmm.....seems like I remember saying something in post #3 about "connections".
But hey I'm glad you got it figured out. Have fun, it's a great game.

John

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Hmmm.....seems like I remember saying something in post #3 about "connections".

Your contribution was invaluable.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 179.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/evel-knievel-bally-ss-no-displays-at-all and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.