Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Playdium
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    #1 7 years ago

The right ball gate on my '64 River Boat that I am restoring was pretty much rusted to the core. I could not find Evaporust, but I assume this product from from Rustoleum was the same. I put the ball gate into a small plastic jug and filled it with the rust dissolver. I only meant to soak it for 24 hours, but I do not think that would of mattered here.
    Three days later I finally removed the ball gate only to notice something was missing. The dissolver disintegrated the flapper to nothing. No evidence what so ever that it even existed. Lesson learned. Just bought a replacement on eBay for $5. Hopefully I prevent someone else from this "doh!" moment.

As for this product from Rustoleum, it worked very well on all of the other parts. All were rusted to the core. Sorry, I have no before pic's.

#2 7 years ago

Pic's did not load first time.

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#3 7 years ago

Are you suggesting that Evaporust would behave the same? I doubt it, there is a reason it has its own cult. It is much less aggressive than that stuff.

#4 7 years ago

By no means. I was only assuming it was the same. Maybe someone with more knowledge will chime in, but I'm not about to test another ball gate in Evaporust.

#5 7 years ago

You used a phosphoric acid based product that has directions that read as follows: " Allow Rust Dissolver to work for 15-30 minutes on iron, steel, unbroken galvanized and galvanized surfaces where rust is showing at the surface. Note: Heavier deposits may require a second application."
    http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/paint-chemicals/rust-dissolver/

This thread has nothing to do with Evaporust.

Why did you decide to soak it for three days instead of following the directions?

#6 7 years ago

Unfortunately I too think this was user error. Doesn't mean it's a bad warning though! It should just be a "make sure you're very particular about how you use it, don't slip up" and direct it at the human rather than "avoid these products at all costs".

#7 7 years ago

You should change the misleading thread title.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from JoeJet:

You should change the misleading thread title.

Edited.

Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Why did you decide to soak it for three days instead of following the directions?

I forgot I put it in.

#9 7 years ago

Try Snow Bowl. Toilet bowl cleaner. It works wonders on rust, and will not hurt plastics! Also great for battery corrosion, and acid leaks.

#10 7 years ago

I use Rustoleum and have to be very careful using it as it cooks the metal leaving it dark if left in too long. 30 minutes tops for me from now on.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from woodchuck:

Try Snow Bowl. Toilet bowl cleaner. It works wonders on rust, and will not hurt plastics! Also great for battery corrosion, and acid leaks.

If you mean Sno Bol, that is 15% hydrochloric acid. Terryb's guide to neutralizing alkaline damage is a much better method for dealing with battery leakage. Sno Bol won't do much for an acid leak since it is 15% acid.

http://k-chem.com/msds/SnoBol.pdf

#12 7 years ago

Evapo-Rust and Rust-oleum are NOT the same. Rust-oleum is phosphoric acid based. Evapo-Rust is water based and contains no acids or solvents. Rust is the only thing Evapo-Rust will harm. You can leave a part in Evapo-Rust for days and the only thing that will hapen is the rust will be gone and if it is a higher carbon part, the metal could turn a grey to blackish color. It is only cosmetic.

#13 7 years ago

I like evaoprust better since it is not caustic, and is more gentle on the parts, even if I forget about them and leave them in longer than I intended to.

As others have said, there's a reason why a lot of folks prefer it, and it is certainly not the same as other products even though the two products are marketed for the same purpose.

It's like the difference between powdered eggs and real eggs. They're both food, but one does a better job at being edible than the other.

#14 7 years ago

I've used Navel Jelly with good results. Brush it on and let sit for 15 minutes, then hose off. I used it on my coin bezel panel to remove the rust, however some discoloring still exists from the corrosion. I can live with that.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/evaporust-rust-dissolverfail-fyi-warning?hl=woodchuck and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.