Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 59 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by nvu4prod
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

HSEVR3.jpg
    EVR2.jpg
    HSEVR.jpg
    EVRB.jpg
    HS Receiving Bar 3.jpg
    HS Receiving Bar 2.jpg
    HS Receiving Bar.jpg
    2015-04-25 09.18.28.jpg
    2015-04-24 20.01.03.jpg
    2015-04-25 09.23.17.jpg
    DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0146.JPG
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 9 years ago

I've been using ER for a while now, with the 3" tube for legs. Just curious, to those who have used it a lot, how long does this stuff last? I'm wondering if I can just keep using it effectively until it evaporates from opening the container to replace the legs. I've done 4 sets with one gallon jug now and still going strong.

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Your paper labels will disintegrate. Also, if there is any old dried Coca Cola or beer on those parts, I suggest cleaning it off with some household spray cleaner such as Mean Green.
    On your lockdown receiver, at about two hours of it being in the Evapo-Rust, scrub the rusty area with a brass bristled detail brush. Then let soak for another hour and see how it looks.
    Remember, when you're done soaking your parts in the Evapo-Rust, be sure to wash those parts off and dry them. I like to use paper towels and a hair dryer to do that.
    The sliding linkages in the lockdown receiver will probably need to be re-greased/oiled.

Thanks Ken for your insight! I'll give it a go this weekend and follow your suggestions ^^^^^^^.

I'll post pics when completed. Thanks again!!

#53 9 years ago
    Quoted from dbeeson:

I've been using ER for a while now, with the 3" tube for legs. Just curious, to those who have used it a lot, how long does this stuff last? I'm wondering if I can just keep using it effectively until it evaporates from opening the container to replace the legs. I've done 4 sets with one gallon jug now and still going strong.

The solution will turn black like motor oil and it's effectiveness will be greatly diminished. When it takes a week to remove rust and the solution is black, then it's time to get a fresh jug of Evapo-Rust.

#54 9 years ago
    Quoted from dbeeson:

The ER can be used quite a number of times but I think the solution is less strong with each usage, Dan.

I find the coffee filter cleaning to be a bit of a PIA though.

#55 9 years ago

If you ever run out of EvapR, you can put 2 cups of water softener salt (pure salt) into each gallon of white vinegar.

Make sure the metal stays 100% submerged, or the emerged part will rust further.

Do not EVER put aluminum into this formula, or it will be gone in a day or so.

#56 9 years ago
    Quoted from OTTOgd:

The ER can be used quite a number of times but I think the solution is less strong with each usage, Dan.
    I find the coffee filter cleaning to be a bit of a PIA though.

So you can strain the used evaporust with a coffee filter to bring it back to life?

Vid, I'm curious about your salt and vinegar concoction. Is this what you'd normally use? Sounds like it might be a cheaper alternative, since a 1 gal jug up here in Canada is $40 after taxes!

#57 8 years ago
    Quoted from dbeeson:

Vid, I'm curious about your salt and vinegar concoction. Is this what you'd normally use?

It's not as fast as Evap. Seems like it takes 24 hours to do the same job.

I first saw it at a machine shop and asked why they did not use Phosphoric acid like everyone else. The guy just shrugged and said that's what the old owner used to use, so they kept using it.

They literally had a vat with a bed of softener salt, and just keep it filled with white vinegar.

#58 8 years ago

I would think that the straining would just remove large flakes and debris from making solution worse
    You are not going to refresh or renew the solution.

#59 8 years ago

Late posting, but here are my results after dunking my receiving bar and playfield brackets in the suggested solution of Evapor-Rust. Really amazing after a 24 hour bath. Please excuse the photos as I took them in my garage and it was late in the afternoon. My before pictures are on page #1 towards the end of the thread for comparison. I did pre-clean all parts with a wire brush and Bar Keepers Friend that did take a lot of rust off. Was not close to being rid of the rust, so in the bath it went!

Thanks to Cody, Ken and everyone that chimed in! I'm very happy with the end product!!

EVRB.jpgEVRB.jpg HSEVR.jpgHSEVR.jpg EVR2.jpgEVR2.jpg HSEVR3.jpgHSEVR3.jpg
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/evapo-rust-is-awesome/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.