Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by bigehrl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

I had great luck with Evapo-rust last summer. I treated maybe 10 legs with great success. I made the PVC tube and all that. I left the tube in the garage over the winter. It was/is cold out there. Currently in the mid 30s.

I put some legs in there over a day ago and they look no better than when I put them in.

I found nothing temperature related in the Evapo-rust FAQ.

Does anybody have any experience in this regard?

#2 2 years ago

It will work much better/faster in warmer temps. I think 60F or above is the recommendation from Evaporust.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bonk:

It will work much better/faster in warmer temps. I think 60F or above is the recommendation from Evaporust.

Yep

#4 2 years ago

It probably wouldn't hurt to run a brush over the legs to knock off some surface rust too.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from newmantjn:

Does anybody have any experience in this regard?

No, because we keep the tube in our basement like civilized Ann Arborites.

How long did you soak it for?

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

No, because we keep the tube in our basement like civilized Ann Arborites.
    How long did you soak it for?

He said he put them in there a day or so ago.

The People's Republic of Ann Arbor has spoken!

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

He said he put them in there a day or so ago.
    The People's Republic of Ann Arbor has spoken!

Hmmm...too true!
    A Bellvillian correcting me...this city has hit rock bottom!

#8 2 years ago

I keep my tube in the garage but bring it in the house if I'm doing any winter soaking.

#9 2 years ago

I’ve seen multiple posts referring to warmer is better, so I expect that colder is going to really slow down the process. I’d bring them inside and let them just sit. Also, some legs are just not going to improve all that much if they’re too far gone.

#10 2 years ago

I’ve been leaving things in it for a few days and getting better results.

#11 2 years ago

I've found the older the stuff without filtering it takes a few days longer.

A few years ago, I accidentally left a leg soaking for over a month. It had a lot of black on it that wiped off, and after cleaning the leg, there was no damage done, and the rust was gone. So, based on my own experience, I don't think you need to worry about leaving something soaking too long.

#12 2 years ago

A quick Google shows…

At what temperature can I use Evapo-Rust?
    You can use it as low as 50 degrees, but we recommend using Evapo-Rust at or above room temperature for fastest rust removal.

Here : use at or above room temperature

https://www.evapo-rust.com/rust-free-tools-evapo-rust/

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

A Bellvillian correcting me...this city has hit rock bottom!

Can I like more than once?

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from dgAmpGuy:

I’ve seen multiple posts referring to warmer is better, so I expect that colder is going to really slow down the process. I’d bring them inside and let them just sit. Also, some legs are just not going to improve all that much if they’re too far gone

These legs only had a few small rust dots. They were quite good going in.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Here : use at or above room temperature

I thought 40F or so was room temperature for you Canadians?

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from newmantjn:

I thought 40F or so was room temperature for you Canadians?

It’s a toasty 63F in here right now! Got 6” of snow last night, Spring delayed again.

#17 2 years ago

A standard rule of chemistry is that a 10 degree C rise in temperature doubles the speed of a reaction. So, a 10 degree C reduction in temperature halves the speed. This is based on 22 C (72 F) if my memory is working. So at 30 F (-1 C), the reaction would be progressing at less than 25% of normal speed. Add in you said it was old solution, you may be down to 10% of regular speed or less.
    As was said earlier, bring the tube inside, let it warm up, and let it work. Good Luck!
    Jim

#18 2 years ago

I have a little aquarium heating element that clips in the side of the tube and I have a small pump the circulates the solution to warm is all up evenly. It works great especially out in the unheated garage.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I have a little aquarium heating element that clips in the side of the tube and I have a small pump the circulates the solution to warm is all up evenly. It works great especially out in the unheated garage.

I think circulation is an unexplored key factor.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from newmantjn:

Can I like more than once?

Did I ever mention the I lived in PITTSfield Township in the early '80's?

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from mojonitro:

A standard rule of chemistry is that a 10 degree C rise in temperature doubles the speed of a reaction. So, a 10 degree C reduction in temperature halves the speed. This is based on 22 C (72 F) if my memory is working. So at 30 F (-1 C), the reaction would be progressing at less than 25% of normal speed. Add in you said it was old solution, you may be down to 10% of regular speed or less.
    As was said earlier, bring the tube inside, let it warm up, and let it work. Good Luck!
    Jim

I was wondering if anyone here ever took any Chemistry classes and if so, were they paying attention?

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

This is sous vide pinball cooking right here! And I bet Isochronic_Frost has got a better, less expensive set-up then this (might work for this application):

https://www.amazon.com/Cooker-Immersion-Digital-Display-Stainless/dp/B08227CF83/ref=asc_df_B08227CF83/

Really cool to see that there are now hundreds of gadgets like this, I had no idea! I have a big (20 gallon) thingy that I rigged up with a PID controller in 2011. Really precise temperature control with circulation lets you do geeky food stuff like cook eggs in-shell with the yolks cooked but the whites uncooked (reverse soft boiled if you will) just to surprise and annoy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modernist_Cuisine

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

I was wondering if anyone here ever took any Chemistry classes and if so, were they paying attention?

I was so excited for Chemistry in high school. Then I realized it was just a 2nd form of math class

#24 2 years ago

for better results, it's recommended to use at 273 Kelvin or higher.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/evapo-rust-fail and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.