Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 160 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Grayman_EM
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

abandon-thread nothing.gif
    fullsizeoutput_14d (resized).jpeg
    beer.jpg (resized).jpg
    11671AC7-797D-49DF-A60A-D9B8030206A7 (resized).jpeg
    D63D75BB-994E-404E-9716-1908DA6FF74B (resized).jpeg
    71C87792-17FA-471D-9B6C-3B3FA3FDEC09 (resized).png
    2017-12-08_14-27-10 (resized).jpg
    CHS-1360-money-talks-bullshit-walks-sticker-1200x630 (resized).jpg
    3D07F50A-3FE9-49F0-9C08-2D121CBCC578 (resized).jpeg
    m_552c96c37fab3a0aa1000662 (resized).jpg
    JR (resized).jpg
    There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 6 years ago

Seller posts pin for sale here. I have previously contacted him and made offer on other pin (needs work). Says to low. I combine both pins to make group offer two days ago. He has since sold the good pin without even responding back from my offer.

I would have went higher if you answered or countered?

You would have sold both pins?

I have the money?

Yes to all the questions as I am already have a deal to travel there but again I want to get as many pins as I can when making the trip.

Another person on the naughty list.

#2 6 years ago

What?
    The seller owes you nothing.
    First offer acceptable to the seller at his doorstep gets the game.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Seller posts pin for sale here. I have previously contacted him and made offer on other pin (needs work). Says to low. I combine both pins to make group offer two days ago. He has since sold the good pin without even responding back from my offer.
    I have the money?
    Yes to all the questions as I am already have a deal to travel there but again I want to get as many pins as I can when making the trip.

similar advice likely to come that was in your previous/similar thread

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dont-sell-to-someone-else-when-we-agree-on-a-price

#4 6 years ago

Life's too short. Let it go.

#5 6 years ago

I don’t see where the seller did anything wrong. You made an offer, someone else made a better offer, and he went with it. Sometimes when you come in low you get outbid.

#6 6 years ago

I'd think it's common etiquette to at least let people who contact you know it's sold? Although I'm guessing it's not that common since so many people thank me when I bother to tell them...

Unless you'd already annoyed the guy so much that he'd made it clear he wasn't going to deal with you ever again or something.

Personally if a seller and buyer agree on a price and timeframe, I feel like at a minimum if seller gets a better offer they should offer buyer opportunity to buy it at that price instead. I've had times where a seller and I had already agreed to everything and I was getting the car cleared out and cancelling evening plans to go pick up a game and then the seller tells me it's sold to someone else, but even if I'd agreed to pick it up the next afternoon, once we've agreed to it I consider it done and write it on my calendar.

#7 6 years ago

Seller should still answer the PM I sent. We are talking 2 days ago the same day the seller put the pin up for sale here. The seller would have sold both pins. If money is just all that you care about and don't even have the courtesy to respond to an offer made before the pin was sold. Then where have we gone to? Sorry but I was raised different than that. Some always say the seller but the buyer should have some say if his offer was made in good faith. IMO

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from zacaj:

I'd think it's common etiquette to at least let people who contact you know it's sold? Although I'm guessing it's not that common since so many people thank me when I bother to tell them...
    Unless you'd already annoyed the guy so much that he'd made it clear he wasn't going to deal with you ever again or something.
    Personally if a seller and buyer agree on a price and timeframe, I feel like at a minimum if seller gets a better offer they should offer buyer opportunity to buy it at that price instead. I've had times where a seller and I had already agreed to everything and I was getting the car cleared out and cancelling evening plans to go pick up a game and then the seller tells me it's sold to someone else, but even if I'd agreed to pick it up the next afternoon, once we've agreed to it I consider it done and write it on my calendar.

Agree completely, once a deal is agreed to it should be honored.
    And the seller should tell others who were interested that it's sold to someone else.
    But you don't get a chance to counter offer after the seller makes a deal with someone else.

#9 6 years ago

I never bother to tell anybody a game is sold unless they ask. Why should I? I can’t keep track of all that and really can’t be bothered. And frankly, it seems like gloating to make it a point to reach out to everybody who lowballed me and announce I sold the game to someone who isn’t them.

Same thing as when I’m trying to buy a game. If I don’t hear from a seller, I figure they sold it to someone else and move on with my life. Or, If I just can’t sleep at night or want to increase my offer, maybe I’ll send them another message.

I’m guessing The OP is still fuming over some guy stealing his parking spot 15 years ago. Seems to have trouble letting go.

Here's a hint: Nobody likes a lowballer. You want better "etiquette" from sellers, be a better buyer.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from RCA1:

Agree completely, once a deal is agreed to it should be honored.
    And the seller should tell others who were interested that it's sold to someone else.
    But you don't get a chance to counter offer after the seller makes a deal with someone else.

Were did the seller agree to a price? Sounds more like the OP low balled him, he said no. So then the seller comes back with a group offer for 2 pins. The seller likely didn't want to deal with him at that point and sold one of the game to another buyer. He notified the OP that the game is sold and absolutely owes him nothing. Complete BS that the OP is on hear complaining about a seller for absolutely no reason. If he wanted the games he should have been more aggressive with his initial offer.

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And frankly, it seems like gloating to make it a point to reach out to everybody who lowballed me and announce I sold the game to someone who isn’t them.

This!

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Seller should still answer the PM I sent. We are talking 2 days ago the same day the seller put the pin up for sale here. The seller would have sold both pins. If money is just all that you care about and don't even have the courtesy to respond to an offer made before the pin was sold. Then where have we gone to? Sorry but I was raised different than that. Some always say the seller but the buyer should have some say if his offer was made in good faith. IMO

If he received multiple offers at the same time and sold the game to someone else, why do people immediately think it was because of money? Maybe his next door neighbor or someone much closer to him(her) bought the game and it was just easier to sell it to them.

It is the sellers right to not sell to anyone for any reason at all. I have refused many offers to sell based on location, timing, an item having a pending offer, the game breaking, because I suspected a scam, along with countless other reasons.

After, during, or prior to selling a game I will not respond to offers beyond saying "it's sold". Sometimes, I don't respond at all. Especially since there is a more-or-less public record of it selling on Pinside. There is even a feedback system in place now. If you are upset that the seller didn't let you know that it was sold, you should probably find a different hobby.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I never bother to tell anybody a game is sold unless they ask. Why should I?

You shouldn't because you live in the real world with the rest of us.

#14 6 years ago

At this point, is there a single EM seller here who wouldn't groan and immediately hit delete at an ad response from Grayman? I'm wondering if he's a work.

#15 6 years ago

First of all, don't mention this stuff here. No matter what, you're going to get a bunch of people who agree, who sort of agree and who think you're an asshole.

#16 6 years ago
    Quoted from jgentry:

Were did the seller agree to a price?

They never did.
    I was agreeing with zacaj, not the OP.
    So I agree with you also.

#17 6 years ago

I can't tell if this guy is real or if its a fake account used to stir up drama.

#18 6 years ago

OP: So, exactly how many of these threads are you going to have to make before you realize that you may be the one with the problem?

#19 6 years ago

Oh Jesus not this guy again...

#20 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

At this point, is there a single EM seller here who wouldn't groan and immediately hit delete at an ad response from Grayman? I'm wondering if he's a work.

There will be a thread about it if that happens...

#21 6 years ago

Hey sorry I asked, but you don't know the reasons. I am in another state. I didn't want to travel 100's of miles out of my way to pickup a pin that wasn't there? You also get mad about that so why pile up on me? Just wanted him to save me some time as to travel and pick up that pin is all. I think you would also or do you like to travel for no reason?

Quoted from newtoit:

I can't tell if this guy is real or if its a fake account used to stir up drama.

It's real.

#22 6 years ago

I would imagine he was probably offended again by your offer. I don’t think I would respond if I was the seller. I typically week out the pain in the butt guys and reply to those I feel will make the easiest transaction while respecting the order of pm’s. Unless the seller made a deal with you, move on. This is not something to bring to the public.

#23 6 years ago

Maybe my expectations are too low, but I never assume anyone will reply or hold anything for me, so I don't get very annoyed or take it very personally. If I send a message about a game and don't get a reply, I assume either they never saw it, saw it and just didn't care, thought I was too low, sold it already, or just got busy and meant to but never responded. This isn't because I hate everyone, I just don't want to stress myself out and rearrange my life over something that's supposed to RELIEVE my stress and provide me with some fun distraction.

If we do work out a deal, I try to keep it local because I always assume that I'll get there and the game will be in worse shape, no keys, gone already, or some other catch.

I really try and not to message people about games unless (1) I'm serious and ready/have time to go get it if they say yes, and (2) have discussed with the wife and have cash ready to go. This probably limits me on some games but I find it way less stressful to buy games when the stars align and not sweat the ones that "get away".

For every deal I've "lost" I've found a great one down the road, and let's be honest, I love pinball (and arcades) but this is a hobby and some fun games...there are people with actual problems in the world other than someone ignoring their message about a $2,000 toy .

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Hey sorry I asked, but you don't know the reasons. I am in another state. I didn't want to travel 100's of miles out of my way to pickup a pin that wasn't there? You also get mad about that so why pile up on me? Just wanted him to save me some time as to travel and pick up that pin is all. I think you would also or do you like to travel for no reason?

The thought of travelling to pick up the pin(s) should not even have crossed your mind since there was not even a hint of a deal being made. Also, the seller probably read your previous thread. I would be hesitant to deal with you knowing all the BS you're packing. I would gladly sell for less just not to deal with the drama.

#25 6 years ago

Am I the only person that looks forward to the replies to the OP’s posts?!?

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

It's real.

The seller doesn't give a F about your drive time or how it's hard for you to get the game. They deal with constant flakes and are going to sell to the first good offer with cash in hand. If you are serious about getting the pin you should quickly research the seller, make sure you have good pics of the game, give them a call, if all is good then send a deposit, go get he game at the time you agreed upon. This stuff keeps happening because you expect sellers to cater to you at every turn. With the resale market today they simply do not have to. A game priced good will have several offers the first day.

#27 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballdad1961:

yes

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And frankly, it seems like gloating to make it a point to reach out to everybody who lowballed me and announce I sold the game to someone who isn’t them.

Man I am totally gonna gloat at the guy who offered me $100 for a game and then insulted me when I told him no once I sell it.

Low ballers I'm not going to give the time of day but if someone offered me $2k on a game I was asking $2200 for, but I'd already sold it full price, I'm gonna at least be nice enough to let them know it's not available

#30 6 years ago

All the lowballers and tire kickers can see it's sold the same way they could see it was for sale. Selling a pin is not the joy people think it is.

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballdad1961:

It's a little amusing! It's a little sad!

#32 6 years ago

Sad that greed causes a lot of problems. Should have just offered what the seller was asking. I'm curious of how low the OP's offer was.

#33 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

I have the money?

Good grief.

Your approach to attempting to buy games doesn't work, and each time you bring it up, people explain exactly why it doesn't work. Yet, you seem to keep doing the same thing.

People are under no obligation whatsoever to wait on you to decide whether or not you are going to buy a game. They do not care what arrangements you feel you have to make. They don't care about sob stories or hardships. They don't know you and don't owe you anything.

All they care about is that someone is going to buy the game and will arrive at a specific day/time to pay for it and haul it away. It's really pretty simple.

Instead, you make things complicated with this nonsense where you feel like you have to arrange multiple deals simultaneously, and it kills your chances with *all* the deals you try to initiate. And then you complain about deals falling through.

To put it bluntly, the problem isn't with the sellers--it's you.

#34 6 years ago

If you want to lock a pin then ask for PayPal address, send deposit NOW,set a realistic time frame to pick up and pay balance with cash.
    It's that easy most of the time.

#35 6 years ago

Well OP stop being such a cheap ass, and put deposits down on games. You can argue all you want, but it's still not getting you any pins....

#36 6 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

you make things complicated with this nonsense where you feel like you have to arrange multiple deals simultaneously, and it kills your chances with *all* the deals to try to initiate

Quoted from ForceFlow:

the problem isn't with the sellers--it's you

This 100%

#38 6 years ago

Your are talking about roughly $500 EM's. Any seller is going to take the quickest, most efficient deal that comes up. You want them to hold it for "x" days/weeks while you arrange picking it up? If I'm interested in a $500 pin, I'm in the truck, on my way to get it immediately. If not, I'm going to lose it to someone else. There's nothing new about this. It's the way pinball sales have worked for decades.

Frank - buying, selling, trading, fixing them since 1982 (and owned them before that!)

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

If money is just all that you care about

Unless you're a friend, when I'm selling a pin, the money is all I care about. Sounds to me like you're expecting "good buddy" prices when dealing with strangers.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

He didn't respond after two lowball offers? Damn, what is wrong with that guy?

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from Elevatorman:

If you want to lock a pin then ask for PayPal address, send deposit NOW,set a realistic time frame to pick up and pay balance with cash.
    It's that easy most of the time.

lol, your approach is logical and reasonable but you really need to read his previous thread. You'll get a better sense of just how much OP is in the dark ages when it comes to buying/selling. Pretty sure he's still looking for printed ads in his local paper.

#42 6 years ago

IIRC, the problem last time was that renting a truck is an expense, so you have to combine as many deals as possible for maximum efficiency?

That's the wrong way to look at it.

When you bought your car, you saved thousands by not buying a truck, right? And over the years you've owned your sensible car, you've saved money on fuel and repairs, right?

So, with all that money saved, when you do need a truck, you can man up and rent one. And if you need one the following weekend, you can rent another one.

Don't think of that one-dollar-per-mile U-Haul bill as adding to the cost of the pinball machine. Think of it as adding to the cost of your sensible car. It's still cheaper than owning your own truck, right? Then relax.

#43 6 years ago
    Quoted from apLundell:

IIRC, the problem last time was that renting a truck is an expense....

You forgot about his furnace dilemma too.

#44 6 years ago

THE PROBLEM IS YOU!

JR (resized).jpgJR (resized).jpg

#45 6 years ago

If there is no price agreed upon and no deposit placed, the seller is going to move on the next potential buyer. If I’m serious about buying something, especially far way. After we agree on the price, I will give the seller my info and a deposit. If it’s something you want, you’ll make a nice offer and not lowball the seller

#46 6 years ago

Problem, problem,
    Problem, problem,
    Problem, problem,
    Problem, problem,
    Problem, problem,
    Problem, problem,
    Problem, problem,
    Problem, problem, problem.

#47 6 years ago

I had a very cool buyer from out of state buy an airline ticket and rent a van. Worst part was we couldn't hang out because he had a 1,500 mile trip home. If you want something enough anything is possible.

#48 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

dude, you make convoluted lowball offers and then get hurt feelings when sellers don't bite. in the other thread you made on this same topic, you complained about sellers who objected to holding pins for a long time with no down payment so you could work out a way to pick them up at some future unspecified time.

selling to you sounds like a huge hassle with no up side.

#49 6 years ago

Low-ballers are betting that the seller is desperate, right?

With the way pinball prices are running these days, what are the odds that the seller is desperate?

#50 6 years ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Problem, problem,
    Problem, problem,
    Problem, problem,
    Problem, problem,
    Problem, problem,
    Problem, problem,
    Problem, problem,
    Problem, problem, problem.

I had a friend who heard the song in my car and thought it was called "Rob Lowe"

There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/etiquette-where-is-it-here?hl=fatcake and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.