Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 160 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Grayman_EM
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

abandon-thread nothing.gif
    fullsizeoutput_14d (resized).jpeg
    beer.jpg (resized).jpg
    11671AC7-797D-49DF-A60A-D9B8030206A7 (resized).jpeg
    D63D75BB-994E-404E-9716-1908DA6FF74B (resized).jpeg
    71C87792-17FA-471D-9B6C-3B3FA3FDEC09 (resized).png
    2017-12-08_14-27-10 (resized).jpg
    CHS-1360-money-talks-bullshit-walks-sticker-1200x630 (resized).jpg
    3D07F50A-3FE9-49F0-9C08-2D121CBCC578 (resized).jpeg
    m_552c96c37fab3a0aa1000662 (resized).jpg
    JR (resized).jpg
    There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.
    #51 6 years ago

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/serious-buyer-or-tire-kicker-how-do-you-tell-1/page/2#post-4111838

This thread is a good read on how to come across as a serious buyer or tire kicker.

#52 6 years ago

From another thread: The machine was a very nice condition GTL Playball for $400. That game, at that price, you better run, not walk. Offering lower - laughable.

#53 6 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

From another thread: The machine was a very nice condition GTL Playball for $400. That game, at that price, you better run, not walk. Offering lower - laughable.

Not lower, just a package deal. I think more people here would understand that, but I see I have to explain things?

#54 6 years ago
    Quoted from FrankJ:

I agree the pinsider was offering the game at good price. Grayman_EM some time you got to go all in and pay asking price. Hell I love a deal and love the art of the deal, I rarely pay asking price but when something is priced right don't screw around pull the trigger if it's already a okay deal.

And as for driving that's just part of it. I can go get a EM right now for $200 and from the pics I got of it I would be okay at that price, but I just haven't been able to talk myself into a 12 to 14 hour day to do it, 6 hrs there 6 back plus loading eating and so on, but if I wanted it bad enough I would be in the truck.

And if you don't have a truck then you should already know your rental costs and just figure that's part of the buy. When I buy a $200 game in my mind its still a $200 game even if my trip gas and meals cost me $100 I never factor in time and I don't add that $100 in my mind to the cost of the game.

#55 6 years ago

Then why did the seller say "to low"?

#56 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Not lower, just a package deal. I think more people here would understand that, but I see I have to explain things?

No. You have to stop thinking that the sellers are at fault in your deals that have gone south. Don’t ever expect to have a chance for a game if not willing to pay full price. Especially when you seem like a nightmare to deal with.

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

....you seem like a nightmare to deal with.

Amen.

I would add a BS Tax to any deal with you if I were selling.

#58 6 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Especially when you seem like a nightmare to deal with.

chuckwurt seller is at fault, he could have sold both games instead of one. He only has a (needs work) pin left. Lastly I am not a nightmare to deal with. I have a seller I am meeting Saturday. Money in hand we had some back and forth pricing and he accepted my offer. How is that a nightmare? People here on the board have painted that picture, not me.

#59 6 years ago

Your original offer for the "needs work" was too low. (You say this yourself.)

When you made the "combined" offer, did you up the price you were offering for the "needs work"? Or did you use your old offer, but expect him to jump on it because you were also going to buy another machine?

#60 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

chuckwurt seller is at fault, he could have sold both games instead of one. He only has a (needs work) pin left. Lastly I am not a nightmare to deal with. I have a seller I am meeting Saturday. Money in hand we had some back and forth pricing and he accepted my offer. How is that a nightmare? People here on the board have painted that picture, not me.

You have a distorted view of how deals should work and what proper etiquette is. That’s great you have worked out deals, but stop thinking someone did you wrong if they didn’t except your low offer. Move on. Stop posting here. As you’ve seen. No sympathy.

Should be concentrating on the excitement of your new pick up Saturday. Not whining here.

#61 6 years ago

Maybe the OP was trying a page from the American Picker book of negotiating...

m_552c96c37fab3a0aa1000662 (resized).jpgm_552c96c37fab3a0aa1000662 (resized).jpg

#62 6 years ago

if this is how you react to not getting your way in the pinball machine market, you must be a real peach to date.

#64 6 years ago

At least the OP's wishlist is narrowed down somewhat in his profile.

#65 6 years ago

Your wishlist is the longest I have ever seen on Pinside! I suggest you start " making your wishes come true" by paying at or very near full ask.

#66 6 years ago

The seller probably realized read this other thread by the OP and realized he was going to need a lot of after sales support ...so didn't bother responding to his offers.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-instructions-on-putting-an-em-pinball-together-after-buying#post-4113332

#67 6 years ago

3D07F50A-3FE9-49F0-9C08-2D121CBCC578 (resized).jpeg3D07F50A-3FE9-49F0-9C08-2D121CBCC578 (resized).jpeg

#68 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Great. Can't wait to see the post on Sunday bitching about how your deal with this guy went south. I'm sure it won't be your fault.

#69 6 years ago

Maybe I missed it.

What was the 1st offer amount?
    What was the 2nd 2 pin offer?

#70 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

The seller would have sold both pins.

Would he have? Really? Having read your thread that Whysnow refers back to, I wouldn't have responded to you either. Reputation plays a big part here, and yours says that you have unreasonable expectations of sellers, and then will most likely jerk them around.

But feel free to complain about it.

#71 6 years ago

As much as another voice in this chorus isn't needed - I feel I must reply, if for no other reason perhaps to bring some well needed self analysis by the OP. I read a few of the other threads people linked to and there is indeed a common variable in all of them. A lowball seller who does not understand first in hand with money at fair price gets the goods.

OP - I genuinely do not mean to be rude, but the issue is 100% you.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with trying to haggle and get a good deal, but do not be shocked if the item moves to someone else at a higher price. Sellers have zero obligation to then contact you and play ping pong between interested parties to jack up the price. That in my mind is a bad seller. Good luck in you future purchases.

#72 6 years ago

CHS-1360-money-talks-bullshit-walks-sticker-1200x630 (resized).jpgCHS-1360-money-talks-bullshit-walks-sticker-1200x630 (resized).jpg

#73 6 years ago

I'd love to see a TV mini-series based upon the OP's upbringing, from infancy to young adulthood.

I'm sure it would be fascinating.

#75 6 years ago

You know what I love about Pinside? All you have to do is click Ignore user and all the loud mouth, know nothing people just seem to disappear. I find it amazing.

#76 6 years ago

It appears he makes deals with money he doesn't have and then expects everyone to hold things for him until he comes up with the dough or his mystery machine to pick them up.

I wonder if the seller recognized who he was getting offers from and decided why bother?

#77 6 years ago

I personally think the op is doing a fantastic job

#78 6 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

I personally think the op is doing a fantastic job

Of what? Leaving machines for everyone else to buy?

#79 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

All you have to do is click Ignore user and all the loud mouth, know nothing people just seem to disappear. I find it amazing.

i find it even more amazing that you claim to have certain members on ignore, yet you acknowledge their existence in your thread.

#80 6 years ago
    Quoted from Buzz:

I had a very cool buyer from out of state buy an airline ticket and rent a van. Worst part was we couldn't hang out because he had a 1,500 mile trip home. If you want something enough anything is possible.

I did this years ago with video arcade games. Bought a one way ticket, picked up the rental truck , loaded up and drove from Atlanta to Chicago. Actually did it twice. Did a load from Little Rock to Chicago. Best was the cab ride from the Little Rock airport to the truck rental center. It's 9am and the cab driver asks us if we mind if he drinks a "road soda". We look at each other like WTF, shrug and go yeah, go ahead. I kid you not, this guy had a 6 pack of Old Style 16 oz tall boy cans. Three of them gone in our 15 minute ride! That's a welcome to Little Rock if I ever saw one!

#81 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

You know what I love about Pinside? All you have to do is click Ignore user and all the loud mouth, know nothing people just seem to disappear. I find it amazing.

Ha and then pretty soon all the Pinside threads look like this to you......but you still probably keep blaming someone else

2017-12-08_14-27-10 (resized).jpg2017-12-08_14-27-10 (resized).jpg

#82 6 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

And it's not spectacular!

Up vote for the Seinfeld (Teri Hatcher) reference.

Gord

#85 6 years ago
    Quoted from mittens:

Sellers have zero obligation to then contact you and play ping pong between interested parties to jack up the price. That in my mind is a bad seller.

This is the clearest answer.

There's no "etiquette" that requires a seller to haggle with you, or "counter you", or anything else like that.

If the poster thinks such etiquette exists, that would explain why he's constantly surprised.

#86 6 years ago

Oh for fucks sake

#87 6 years ago

Well that did not go well.

#88 6 years ago

Have you read the art of the deal?

#89 6 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I did this years ago with video arcade games. Bought a one way ticket, picked up the rental truck , loaded up and drove from Atlanta to Chicago. Actually did it twice. Did a load from Little Rock to Chicago. Best was the cab ride from the Little Rock airport to the truck rental center. It's 9am and the cab driver asks us if we mind if he drinks a "road soda". We look at each other like WTF, shrug and go yeah, go ahead. I kid you not, this guy had a 6 pack of Old Style 16 oz tall boy cans. Three of them gone in our 15 minute ride! That's a welcome to Little Rock if I ever saw one!

Best pin trip story. This is what the hobby is.

#90 6 years ago

ABC!!!!!

#91 6 years ago

Couldn't close a window!

#92 6 years ago

I had the same problem with I sold an arcade machine some time ago. Some people feel that making a low ball offer somehow secures their place in line and reserves the machine for them, then they can haggle after that. That's not the case. It's real simple, when I'm selling a machine I go through messages in the order I received them and accept the first one that meets what I'm looking to get. That always pisses off people that got in earlier but made lower offers, but that's how it goes.

#93 6 years ago

The OP has been around here long enough for a cup of coffee

I don’t even believe this BS

He can’t be serious and has baited everybody into going full on crazy mode

#94 6 years ago

Etiquette lies between asking price and a low offer, maybe on the high side

#95 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

Seller should still answer the PM I sent. We are talking 2 days ago the same day the seller put the pin up for sale here. The seller would have sold both pins. If money is just all that you care about and don't even have the courtesy to respond to an offer made before the pin was sold. Then where have we gone to? Sorry but I was raised different than that. Some always say the seller but the buyer should have some say if his offer was made in good faith. IMO

This is too funny. The pot calling the kettle black. You are here pleading for people to have the courtesy to PM you back, yet you don't even PM people back (not that I care, just making a point). You posted a wanted ad for a Galahad and I sent you a PM linking to a CL ad for one that was for sale. And you said nothing.

#96 6 years ago
    Quoted from djreddog:

You posted a wanted ad for a Galahad and I sent you a PM linking to a CL ad for one that was for sale. And you said nothing.

Etiquette where is it here?

#97 6 years ago

Etiquette is in the toilet along with virtue,morals and all the other general pleasantries we used to have towards one another

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from dhard:

Etiquette is in the toilet along with virtue,morals and all the other general pleasantries we used to have towards one another

Sort of like a man's word and a handshake deal, most have the value of used toilet paper these days.

#99 6 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Ha and then pretty soon all the Pinside threads look like this to you......but you still probably keep blaming someone else

No, just blocking out the negative people is all.

Quoted from djreddog:

This is too funny. The pot calling the kettle black. You are here pleading for people to have the courtesy to PM you back, yet you don't even PM people back (not that I care, just making a point). You posted a wanted ad for a Galahad and I sent you a PM linking to a CL ad for one that was for sale. And you said nothing.

Here got his PM that I just sent, but didn't read where I tell him that he has to be in or near my state not all the way on the east coast.

As for the 3 pins I got over the weekend talked to the seller. He explained the pins and told me to give him a call if I had any trouble. Nice guy to talk to and handed him, yes all the money!

#100 6 years ago
    Quoted from Grayman_EM:

I have previously contacted him and made offer on other pin (needs work). Says to low.

I'm not sure where the etiquette is....I'm not sure where the grammar is either...

TO / TOO / TWO
    It's just too early to tell in these two posts.

There are 160 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/etiquette-where-is-it-here/page/2?hl=aplundell and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.