Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by TigerLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Is it bad etiquette to chipmunk flip (repeatedly randomly hit flippers) trying to get a random upper flipper shot during multi-ball?

I do this most all the time when I'm alone, and don't like to do it in front of other players, hence the topic question.

For Example: In this video, once I start Quarra MB (2:30), I start chipmunk flipping the left upper flipper

I may add a poll - depending on responses....
    Never[]
    At Home []
    At Friends Home[]
    During Competition[]

#2 9 years ago

It makes you look like an awful player.

Beyond that I don't really see the problem.

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

+ 1

Its not bad etiquette as much as it is bad form. Keep practicing you won't need to do that as you get better.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

it is bad form.

I know this - pretty embarrassing The sad truth to it is that I will hit that "needed" shot about 75% of the time more than without this "childish" tactic during multiballs with 3 or more balls. I can keep my eye on two balls (wherever they might be) but once I get three - I need to concentrate on the lower flippers

#5 9 years ago

Trap up, dude. Get some balls trapped on the flippers downstairs and then worry about that jackpot shot.

You can also learn when to look up---on a game with a good audio cue you can hear the cue, look up to make the upper flipper jackpot, then go back to solving your other problems. I think the quorra shot in Tron has audio, but it's not as consistent a feed as on Addams or FH.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think this was well said.

At least you are doing it with a purpose not just flailing for the sake of flailing.

#7 9 years ago

Who cares about etiquette? You'll eventually play better if you don't do this. On Tron, try to cradle a ball or two on the lower left flipper, then do your damage with the other ball and the right flipper. When you make a Quorra shot, then use the upper flipper to try to make the Gem shot. You'll lose control of the cradled ball(s) on the lower flipper, but you'll do better overall.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from phishrace:

Who cares about etiquette? You'll eventually play better if you don't do this. On Tron, try to cradle a ball or two on the lower left flipper, then do your damage with the other ball and the right flipper. When you make a Quorra shot, then use the upper flipper to try to make the Gem shot. You'll lose control of the cradled ball(s) on the lower flipper, but you'll do better overall.

When posiible, this is what I do ~ but that's once u have cradled....
    When playing TSPP, andkid you have 4 balls on the PF. 2 balls are within view on bottom PF, 2 are up top (maybe UP, maybe coming out from Otto), do you look up, and take chance of losing a ball? Do u just not random flip, because you might look bad?
    I'll take the random flip (when safe) while watching the bottom flippers, and probably hits a few target, collect some jackpots, without risk.

Here's my main question: If I was playing your machine, would this bother you?

#9 9 years ago

A friend of mine does this all the time on Black Knight multi-ball. It is annoying to listen to and embarrassing to watch. I tell him there is a charge for each time a ball is not hit with a flipper.

#10 9 years ago

Its just highly annoying but I wouldn't be mad.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from boogies:

Here's my main question: If I was playing your machine, would this bother you?

Not in the least. As long as you're having fun, go for it. They are commercial machines designed to take much more abuse than that.

I've had plenty of guys try death saves and bang backs on my location games while I was there. I keep my tilts pretty tight, so they're often not successful. You tilt, you lose. d:^)

#12 9 years ago

I've always heard it referred to ass "Chimp" flipping because that's how a dumb monkey would play...not a cute little chipmunk.

Anyway, however you play is how you play; but that isn't the best way. I'm sure it isn;t as mind numbing with the glass on

On the bright side, I think you can easily work on cradling ball instead of chimp flipping. I mean, with a Tron that slow your flipper skillz aren;t the issue

#13 9 years ago

My problem is when the flippers are reversed. Like an idiot, I'll just keep hitting both flippers simultaneously.
    I still try to make shots, of course, and it works pretty good, but ya lose a lot of balls that way.

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from cheesewhisperer:

My problem is when the flippers are reversed. Like an idiot, I'll just keep hitting both flippers simultaneously.
    I still try to make shots, of course, and it works pretty good, but ya lose a lot of balls that way.

You reverse your hands - left hand on right flipper, right hand on left flipper.
    During these modes, I cannot shake machine, can't seem to figure which way to nudge.

#15 9 years ago

TSPP is one game where multiball is super tough due to the two flippers in the upper playfield. I don't have a good strategy to get super jackpot.

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

Its just highly annoying but I wouldn't be mad.

This totally. I don't get mad, but any needless flipper flipping moderately bothers me . . . I can't explain even why that might be but it does.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/etiquette-question-chipmunk-flipping and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.