Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by sunnRAT
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider curban.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Am I breaking buying etiquette?

We have this nice feature called the pin map. Is it okay to look for local owners of a machine you’d like to buy and ask if they’re interested in selling. Or is this a major faux pas?

Already started doing this...but will stop if this is a scumbag move.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

How did you find your 18 games that you have? Seems you may have this figured out already.

I had a glitch with my initial post. I think you responded before I asked my current question.

...but all my purchases to date were from for sale ads.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire: Adding to the etiquette question, I’d say it’s on the buyer to make an initial offer. It’s kind of bad form IMO to say “I want to buy your game”, and then “how much”?

Great point. Thanks.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

What is super annoying is tracking people down out of the blue and ambushing them with a request to buy...and then complaining bitterly about the asking price.
    If you are hunting a game down and making unsolicited requests to purchase, don't expect the best deal.

Also a good point...and although I’d never criticize an asking price, with prices all over the place my next concern will be ‘what to offer’. Intend to offer fair prices with modest premium...but ‘fair’ is the subjective part. Know I shouldn’t expect a bargain.

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

curban Are you going to Pinfest? If so, post in this forum and try to prearrange a purchase to happen at the show.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinfest-2020-buy-sell-trade-want-no-hotel-talk

Good suggestion. Yeah, I am planning to go. Haven’t been there yet and am excited to experience it.

BUT... in this case I was hoping to close a deal by 6/25 for a special bday gift for Mrs. Been watching for a couple months...missed some good deals...already have a reasonable option that’s a driving distance I’m really trying to avoid. So...in the end...my own poor decisions just making life a little harder and a little pricier . Maybe I’ll learn better some day!

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Easy. Say “hey I’m willing to pay x amount for a really nice one”. Or “I’m just looking for players condition. Willing to pay X”

Yeah, that’s the plan.

Had several polite “no’s” to the cold calls I sent out. Based on replies here and in pmail, I think most owners aren’t terribly offended.

Thanks everyone for the tips!

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Is there a local area for sale thread for your area? Assuming if there is, you already posted there ?

...there is. I posted the “Looking for...” in that topic three times in past several months for this machine with no luck, but that approach did get me a nice Fishtales a couple of years ago that I still cherish.

Also have a WTB add out. I have doubts about how effective those are; they seem pretty easy to miss and seem to sit open for a while. But I figure they can’t hurt; it’s the beauty of pinsides marketing system.

All good suggestions. Thanks.

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Sometimes it can be annoying when you post a game for sale, and get replies like "How much do you want for the Twilight Zone next to the game you're REALLY selling?" Just because it gets your hopes up for a split second lol.
    I've only searched for owners of a game once, contacted 3 local owners, one with a large collection who sold at the market price at the time (still have that Sorcerer).

I've had that happen several times. One of them actually ended up in a trade that I'm happy with.
    But...I still consider some pins to be my babies. Requests on those still do hit an emotional nerve...you want to buy my baby, how dare you!???!?

#45 2 years ago

...so it seems that the various advice given in the thread paid off. I have a couple of reasonable options now to look into. Can’t reasonably ask for more than that. Thanks for the tips.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider curban.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/etiquette-in-searching-for-purchase?tu=curban and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.