Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by sunnRAT
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Am I breaking buying etiquette?

We have this nice feature called the pin map. Is it okay to look for local owners of a machine you’d like to buy and ask if they’re interested in selling. Or is this a major faux pas?

Already started doing this...but will stop if this is a scumbag move.

#2 2 years ago

How did you find your 18 games that you have? Seems you may have this figured out already.

#3 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

How did you find your 18 games that you have? Seems you may have this figured out already.

I had a glitch with my initial post. I think you responded before I asked my current question.

...but all my purchases to date were from for sale ads.

#4 2 years ago

You’re not the only one doing that. I was contacted last week on a game and it took 30 second for me to reply. IMO, not out of line but others may see it differently

#5 2 years ago

It doesn’t hurt to ask….but, there’s a reason my collection of 80+ games isn’t on pinside anymore. Some people make the approach like there’s an obligation to sell or if you have duplicate titles like I do, it’s unethical to keep more than one.

( I honestly got at least 1 message a week and didn’t want to come off as a bad guy when I didn’t respond since that doesn’t reflect who I am)

I’d say as long as you do it respectfully you’ll be fine. Or in most cases such as myself, trades are more tempting.

#6 2 years ago

It’s one thing to ask politely to keep you in mind if they ever plan on selling than harassing someone. I’ve developed some wonderful relationships through game inquiries. I’ve also blocked some jerks when they act like a prick when I say no.

#7 2 years ago

I’ve gotten several messages like this, and they’re totally fine with me. If I don’t want to sell, I just politely say “no thanks”. Also, don’t expect to get the best price this way, unless you stumble into someone who really is tired of the game you want. I’ve had 2 “offers I couldn’t refuse”, and I did not refuse them.

Adding to the etiquette question, I’d say it’s on the buyer to make an initial offer. It’s kind of bad form IMO to say “I want to buy your game”, and then “how much”?

#8 2 years ago

Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

#9 2 years ago

Totally fine, just be polite and respectful.

The "be polite and respectful" part goes for both parties btw.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from curban:

I had a glitch with my initial post. I think you responded before I asked my current question.
    ...but all my purchases to date were from for sale ads.

Oh. Haha. All I saw was “this could get messy” or something.

But at least for me, I don’t care if anyone reaches out to see if any of my games are for sale. Worst I can say is no thanks.

Not sure you’ll find any deals that way. I’m sure you’ll run into a lot of “here’s the pry it out of my hands price”

Just realized my answer was pretty much exactly swampfire ‘s. Great minds.

#11 2 years ago

I've tried it, and i've been asked. Either way, doesn't bother me.

Ended up having great chats with pinheads. and i\ve tried to help steer them in a good direction also

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from curban:

Am I breaking buying etiquette?
    We have this nice feature called the pin map. Is it okay to look for local owners of a machine you’d like to buy and ask if they’re interested in selling. Or is this a major faux pas?
    Already started doing this...but will stop if this is a scumbag move.

It's perfectly acceptable.

What is super annoying is tracking people down out of the blue and ambushing them with a request to buy...and then complaining bitterly about the asking price.

If you are hunting a game down and making unsolicited requests to purchase, don't expect the best deal.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire: Adding to the etiquette question, I’d say it’s on the buyer to make an initial offer. It’s kind of bad form IMO to say “I want to buy your game”, and then “how much”?

Great point. Thanks.

#14 2 years ago

No issue with it. I assume you are looking at local collections for offer and pickup, which makes a lot of sense to me. Waiting for a local sale of a specific pin to be advertised is less direct and takes longer I guess.

#15 2 years ago

This is considered bad form on KLOV for arcade games but people do it all the time.

One of the reasons i took down my list of games there was so people would stop asking me to sell shit that was rare and not for sale.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

What is super annoying is tracking people down out of the blue and ambushing them with a request to buy...and then complaining bitterly about the asking price.
    If you are hunting a game down and making unsolicited requests to purchase, don't expect the best deal.

Also a good point...and although I’d never criticize an asking price, with prices all over the place my next concern will be ‘what to offer’. Intend to offer fair prices with modest premium...but ‘fair’ is the subjective part. Know I shouldn’t expect a bargain.

#17 2 years ago

I've found the best way to find machines that I want is to ask the local "connected pinball mafia" guys.
    "They know a guy who has one"...the other thing I have done is to mention in messages " hey, by the way, I'm looking for a Space Shuttle...is there anything you are looking for?"

I have gotten a few inquiries about my Nine Ball (nope, not even for stupid money).
    It depends on how you word it. Anybody can ask. Be gracious if you get turned down.

I've bought a few pins that were in the background of other sales posts--some people think that's poor form (to ask about other visible machines)--others put it in the picture to sell it too.

#18 2 years ago

I've gotten a few and it's never bothered me. I'd just say if you don't get a response or just get a "no thanks" just let it go. I haven't done it but I'd be prepared to pay a premium...if I don't have a game listed for sale there's probably a reason

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

This is considered bad form on KLOV for arcade games but people do it all the time.
    One of the reasons i took down my list of games there was so people would stop asking me to sell shit that was rare and not for sale.

Then when it is for sale, a thought-out, reasonable price will still get low ball offers on KLOV.

#20 2 years ago

Maybe an idea, if there was a feature to put little icons in your game list on each of your games like one means "thinking about selling/trading" or "not for sale/just displaying my collection. Maybe different colors mean different levels of keeping/not keeping. Of course still have the option to not be specific at all.

Like it's not quite a sales ad, because those should be when you know for certain, but more so for a "thinking about buying/selling."

Of course, be ready to buy/sell when the time comes if you find a seller that wants a certain amount or if you're a seller and are ready to let go if someone has asked about it and you agree.

#21 2 years ago

I get it all the time, it's sorta flattering if you think about it. I mean to me a person has to be pretty gutsy to send an email and ask about a certain game in your collection and they must want it pretty bad if there out stalking the owners. And yes I always respond even though I have no interest in selling. I am selling my Judge Dredd but what with my main computer down I can't send out any pictures so I've not advertised it yet, but if someone is local they can come check it out in person.

John

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Maybe an idea, if there was a feature to put little icons in your game list on each of your games like one means "thinking about selling/trading" or "not for sale/just displaying my collection. Maybe different colors mean different levels of keeping/not keeping. Of course still have the option to not be specific at all.

I was about to suggest this! pinball owners has that feature even though the website is a billion years old!
    It’s pretty nice. I’ve cold called on that site and gotten some rare games. I usually avoid it on Pinside.

#23 2 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I was about to suggest this! pinball owners has that feature even though the website is a billion years old!
    It’s pretty nice. I’ve cold called on that site and gotten some rare games. I usually avoid it on Pinside.

That's what I was thinking too. I'm on there too but not a lot.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Adding to the etiquette question, I’d say it’s on the buyer to make an initial offer. It’s kind of bad form IMO to say “I want to buy your game”, and then “how much”?

How can the buyer make an offer if he hasn't discussed the pins condition with you? When I started in the hobby I sent messages like this to all the Seawitch owners within a few states, with no luck. I found one in a posting in a private pinball group for sale.

If the OP is doing this he should be willing to pay a reasonable price. I think a better approach is to post a WTB ad here on Pinside, that way sellers responding will know that they're probably competing with other sellers and the price will be more reasonable. Also posting in a Facebook group may get more casual collectors to respond.

curban Are you going to Pinfest? If so, post in this forum and try to prearrange a purchase to happen at the show.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinfest-2020-buy-sell-trade-want-no-hotel-talk

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

How can the buyer make an offer if he hasn't discussed the pins condition with you?

Easy. Say “hey I’m willing to pay x amount for a really nice one”. Or “I’m just looking for players condition. Willing to pay X”

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

curban Are you going to Pinfest? If so, post in this forum and try to prearrange a purchase to happen at the show.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinfest-2020-buy-sell-trade-want-no-hotel-talk

Good suggestion. Yeah, I am planning to go. Haven’t been there yet and am excited to experience it.

BUT... in this case I was hoping to close a deal by 6/25 for a special bday gift for Mrs. Been watching for a couple months...missed some good deals...already have a reasonable option that’s a driving distance I’m really trying to avoid. So...in the end...my own poor decisions just making life a little harder and a little pricier . Maybe I’ll learn better some day!

#27 2 years ago

I get that a fair amount, and it's always cool to chat sales/trades. What can be annoying is maybe half of the random askers seem to be of the "will you sell me a game from your collection *and* give me a good deal on it?" variety. If you're cold calling people about pins that aren't for sale and expecting a bargain on top of it, that's a bit obnoxious.

#28 2 years ago

Not a problem but expect to pay a premium (even more so in today's market pricing). It's a great way to meet like minded people which typically turn into friendships.

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Easy. Say “hey I’m willing to pay x amount for a really nice one”. Or “I’m just looking for players condition. Willing to pay X”

Yeah, that’s the plan.

Had several polite “no’s” to the cold calls I sent out. Based on replies here and in pmail, I think most owners aren’t terribly offended.

Thanks everyone for the tips!

#30 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It's perfectly acceptable.

Someone actually did that to you? Seems strange and maybe a very rare one off scenario.

#31 2 years ago

I’ve purchased a few games this way. Last one was a Sth Premium. Have made a few friends this way. It would be cool if you could flag games in your collection as available for trade and then match you with someone that has a game on your wishlist.

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

How can the buyer make an offer if he hasn't discussed the pins condition with you?

That’s a great point. I recently had a local guy ask about my POTC via text. Even though I wasn’t sure I was ready to sell, I told him all the details about it. I think the ideal exchange goes one of 2 ways, with some small variations:

A:
    “hey, I see you have <game>, I’d love to buy it from you.”
    “thanks, but I’m really enjoying it right now. Check back with me in a year.” Or
    “thanks! I love it and I can’t see myself ever selling it. But I hope you can find one too!”

B:
    “hey, I see you have <game>, I’d love to buy it from you.”
    “yeah, I love it but I do think I’m ready to sell it for the right price. I’ll send you some pics tomorrow”
    <owner sends pics>
    “wow, that’s exactly what I’m looking for. Would you take $xyz?”
    “I’d let it go for $abc, it’s pretty hard to find and I’ve made these improvements.”
    “Sounds good, let’s do it!”

I’ve been the buyer and seller in both situations. One time I sold a game for exactly what I had in it, and I was just happy that I didn’t have to list it. Another time, someone offered me a $1000 profit for a “keeper”. I’ve even sold a game because someone’s kid loved it, and it made me happy that they did.

#33 2 years ago

I think someone also mentioned this too but if you are looking for a game it never hurts to put a WTB posting. You never know who might be lurking and have exactly what you are looking for.

Also having a game listed here for the public to know you have you should pretty much know you may be subject to some messages inquiring. So I’d say that’s another green light to feel comfortable in sending them a message

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from alexanr1:

Someone actually did that to you? Seems strange and maybe a very rare one off scenario.

Yeah a guy heard a rumor I got a demo man, cold called me about buying it, and started bitching about my asking price “especially because I know what you paid for it.”

I asked him to fuck off and never bother me again.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah a guy heard a rumor I got a demo man, cold called me about buying it, and started bitching about my asking price “especially because I know what you paid for it.”
    I asked him to fuck off and never bother me again.

I don't understand why the "what you paid for it" argument seems relevant to so many people. It's like the "that game used to only cost $300 5 years ago" argument.

If I could pay a lot of collectors what they paid for their games i'd still be getting $1200 TZs and Adam's.

#36 2 years ago

Is there a local area for sale thread for your area? Assuming if there is, you already posted there ? I picked up a Twd locally after posting on our local thread as looking. He wasn’t explicitly looking to sell but that was enough to start a convo and lead to a sale. I guess cold-pming people is about the same really? Slightly more intrusive but not a big deal

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mbecker:

Is there a local area for sale thread for your area? Assuming if there is, you already posted there ?

...there is. I posted the “Looking for...” in that topic three times in past several months for this machine with no luck, but that approach did get me a nice Fishtales a couple of years ago that I still cherish.

Also have a WTB add out. I have doubts about how effective those are; they seem pretty easy to miss and seem to sit open for a while. But I figure they can’t hurt; it’s the beauty of pinsides marketing system.

All good suggestions. Thanks.

#38 2 years ago

I search the WTB ads before I list playfields on Pinside, so they do work. But for whole games? That’s what the wishlist is for.

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from curban:

...there is. I posted the “Looking for...” in that topic three times in past several months for this machine with no luck, but that approach did get me a nice Fishtales a couple of years ago that I still cherish.
    Also have a WTB add out. I have doubts about how effective those are; they seem pretty easy to miss and seem to sit open for a while. But I figure they can’t hurt; it’s the beauty of pinsides marketing system.
    All good suggestions. Thanks.

Posting in your local FS thread and the owners thread of the game you're looking for may help. When I was looking for a SlugFest I posted a quick note in the Ohio and PA threads that I was looking for one and someone reached out the next day that they had one and I went and picked it up.

#40 2 years ago

Feel free to pick my collection. Make sure your offer includes a premium.

#41 2 years ago

Sometimes it can be annoying when you post a game for sale, and get replies like "How much do you want for the Twilight Zone next to the game you're REALLY selling?" Just because it gets your hopes up for a split second lol.

I've only searched for owners of a game once, contacted 3 local owners, one with a large collection who sold at the market price at the time (still have that Sorcerer).

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

Sometimes it can be annoying when you post a game for sale, and get replies like "How much do you want for the Twilight Zone next to the game you're REALLY selling?" Just because it gets your hopes up for a split second lol.
    I've only searched for owners of a game once, contacted 3 local owners, one with a large collection who sold at the market price at the time (still have that Sorcerer).

I've had that happen several times. One of them actually ended up in a trade that I'm happy with.
    But...I still consider some pins to be my babies. Requests on those still do hit an emotional nerve...you want to buy my baby, how dare you!???!?

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from curban:

Good suggestion. Yeah, I am planning to go. Haven’t been there yet and am excited to experience it.
    BUT... in this case I was hoping to close a deal by 6/25 for a special bday gift for Mrs. Been watching for a couple months...missed some good deals...already have a reasonable option that’s a driving distance I’m really trying to avoid. So...in the end...my own poor decisions just making life a little harder and a little pricier . Maybe I’ll learn better some day!

If you post in the forum now, someone may respond and you can arrange purchase now.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Then when it is for sale, a thought-out, reasonable price will still get low ball offers on KLOV.

Maybe for you... if you are patient there are people with deep pockets on there just like pinball

I sold a few things on there for stupid money... about tripled what I actually paid for a Food Fight.

#45 2 years ago

...so it seems that the various advice given in the thread paid off. I have a couple of reasonable options now to look into. Can’t reasonably ask for more than that. Thanks for the tips.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

Maybe for you... if you are patient there are people with deep pockets on there just like pinball
    I sold a few things on there for stupid money... about tripled what I actually paid for a Food Fight.

I've had friends of friends with deep pockets and interest so I never had to rely on KLOV, but I cant deny the number of tire kickers on there when other folks I know try to sell their games.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/etiquette-in-searching-for-purchase?hl=grantopia and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.