Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by gweempose
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Gold-Crown-Pool-Table (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

I'm in the market for a specific brand/model of pool table. I'm not having much luck with CL or eBay, but it dawned on me that I should probably be looking at local estate sales. Unfortunately, I have no idea where to begin. I assume the never ending search for pinball machines has given many of you some expertise in this area. Is there an easy way to search all the local estate sales at once using key words? Ideally, I'd like to set up some kind of search that would automatically notify me as soon as something local pops up that matches my criteria.

#2 6 years ago

Estatesales.net allows you to search by key word in ads. It will also let you know sales within a distance range you specify.

However. I'm not sure if it will also do keyword notification of sales within a given area by email.

#3 6 years ago

I love estatesales.net . It lets you chose which area to look in and shows you pictures of whats available. I have gotten some pretty cool items over the years at great prices. Always go for the booze first. Usually its like $1 a bottle, but sometimes they give you a song and dance about not being able to sell booze. ok, if i buy something, toss in a bottle. Everybody collects something and you will be surprised what you can find. Pool tables are tough because you need a good sized vehicle to transport, but bring tools with you in case its a quick sale and you need to take something apart. On the final day you can get some really good deals. Sometimes the sellers only other option is a dumpster monday morning, so its a win win if you buy something. Dont be afraid to make offers, worst that can happen is they say no.

#4 6 years ago
    Quoted from Slim64:

Estatesales.net allows you to search by key word in ads. It will also let you know sales within a distance range you specify.

Quoted from jesster64:

I love estatesales.net . It lets you chose which area to look in and shows you pictures of whats available.

Awesome! I'll definitely check that site out.

Quoted from jesster64:

Pool tables are tough because you need a good sized vehicle to transport, but bring tools with you in case its a quick sale and you need to take something apart.

In my case, I'll be hiring a company that specializes in pool tables to move the table from its current location to my basement. This will obviously require me to schedule a pickup time in advance with the movers, and precludes any spontaneous buying decisions on my part. Is this possible, or are you always forced to pick up the item immediately after agreeing to buy it? I'd obviously prefer to check out the table in person before committing to it.

#5 6 years ago

You know...you could mention the specific kind of pool table here as well.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

you could mention the specific kind of pool table here as well.

Yes, what size and manufacturer are you looking for?
    "Pool Table Product Reviews/Maine Home Recreation" I found to
    be an excellent source for reviews.
    I had 100% faith in a Pool Player Friend to trade in the Iving Kaye
    for an A.E. Schmidt. Then I found these reviews, and sure enough,
    it was a very good move..

#7 6 years ago

I'm specifically looking for an 8' Pro or 9' Brunswick Gold Crown III, IV or V. Something like this ...

Gold-Crown-Pool-Table (resized).jpgGold-Crown-Pool-Table (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I'm specifically looking for an 8' Pro or 9' Brunswick Gold Crown III, IV or V. Something like this ...

I'm not sure what year table that is, and I'm sure that it would play fine, but maybe you wouldn't
    mind checking out the "Pool Table Product Reviews/Maine Home Recreation"
    I emailed and talked with these Guys. Good People, and know their tables!

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

I'm not sure what year table that is, and I'm sure that it would play fine, but maybe you wouldn't
    mind checking out the "Pool Table Product Reviews/Maine Home Recreation"
    I emailed and talked with these Guys. Good People, and know their tables!

Thanks! I actually came across their site recently. There's some great information there. They seem to know their stuff, but it also seems like they focus more on the home market. I'm looking for a commercial table. The Gold Crowns are very well made. They have to be, because they were designed to hold up to decades of abuse in pool halls. I also really like the way they look. They have a sleek modern vibe that instantly makes me nostalgic because of the thousands of hours I spent in pool halls in my youth.

The Gold Crowns have been around since the early 60's, but I'm mostly interested in the ones from 1976 and on. Ideally, I'd like a HUO model IV or V, but there aren't a ton of them out there. The problem is that 9' just isn't a very common size for homes. Most people go with 7' or 8' tables, which is why you can find a million of them for sale on CL. Talk about a buyer's market. You would be a fool to even consider a new 7' or 8' table. You can get virtually brand new top of the line tables for 20 cents on the dollar. Heck, people are practically begging you to come and take them away.

#10 6 years ago

You can also try SearchTempest. It is a site to search all craigslist ads within X miles of your location. There are a few results for "Brunswick Gold Crown". I'm not sure what the difference is between the different numbers afterwards, but it may be helpful.

https://www.searchtempest.com/search?search_string=Brunswick+Gold+Crown&category=8&Region=na&cityselect=zip&location=60062&maxDist=500&region_us=1&srchType=&hasPic=&keytype=adv&minAsk=&maxAsk=&subcat=sss&q=Brunswick+Gold+Crown++"for+sale"

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from tjw998:

You can also try SearchTempest. It is a site to search all craigslist ads within X miles of your location ...

Thanks! SearchTempest is great. I've used it in the past to search for other stuff. The problem in this particular situation is that I need to find a table that is not only close enough for me to be able to take a look at it, but also close enough that a local installer will go get it for me. Unfortunately, this severely limits my search radius.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

You would be a fool to even consider a new 7' or 8' table.

100% correct. To replace the Schmidt new, $5,000.00. I paid $800.00, and plays like new..
    I had a 4.5' X 9' table which I did like, but all around, I much rather have this 8' Schmidt..
    You're going with an older Brunswick. They're home use tables began being produced elsewhere in
    the mid 90s, but I believe the commercials were still US made until the late 90s..

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mopar:

I had a 4.5' X 9' table which I did like, but all around, I much rather have this 8' Schmidt..

What is about the 8 footer that you prefer? I've always found it more fun to shoot on a 9 footer, but that's probably because it's the size table I've played the most games on over the years. One downside I can see to a 9' table is that people who don't play a lot of pool can find it to be somewhat intimidating. That's why I'd also consider an 8' pro. It's a nice compromise between an 8' and a 9'.

#14 6 years ago

Actually, if the 9' table that I first had was an A.E. Schmidt, I would have hung onto it.
    And although the 9' Irving Kaye was a 3 piece and played fine, it was nowhere nearly built
    like a Schmidt, and since there already was a buyer ($550.00, same as I paid) for the Irving,
    and a Friend needed to move the Schmidt (that I had played on and liked), after giving it
    quite a bit of thought, I made the move and glad that I did after reading reviews..
    It's also nice to have a little extra space with the 8', and like you say, it's a nice compromise.
    During gatherings, some bar league players stop over, and the 8' isn't that much larger
    than bar size, yet not a whole lot smaller than a 9', so to me an 8' can be an ideal size..
    I'll shoot you a quick PM..

#15 6 years ago

I've been playing around with EstateSales.net. It's a very handy site. After creating an account, I was able to set up "Treasure Tracker" searches. These are basically saved keyword searches that notify me as soon as a new estate sale pops up matching my search criteria within a specified distance.

One thing I quickly realized is that perusing estate sale photographs can be somewhat depressing. You're looking at all this stuff that gives you a glimpse into who that person was and what their personality was like. Much of this stuff was cherished by them at one time or another, and now it is all just lumped into one big sale while they are either dead or living in a nursing home.

#16 6 years ago

Far be it for me to tell a moderator, but I’d put pool table in the title of this thread as well

#17 6 years ago

+1 for the Estatesales.net and the 'Treasure Tracker'!

That's how I found my first 2 pins!

Picked up a Class of '81 Ms Pac & Galaga cabaret in Michigan last weekend thanks to the treasure tracker!

#18 6 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

Far be it for me to tell a moderator, but I’d put pool table in the title of this thread as well

I actually debated putting "pool table" in the title of the thread, but I figured more people would click on it if I limited it to estate sales. There are a lot of people who look for pins at estate sales, so even though the thread is somewhat off topic, it's still of interest to many pinheads. There are several pool table threads already, so I'll probably just bump one of them up.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/estate-sales and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.