Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by gac
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

61I9Kho4o0L._SX342_ (resized).jpg
    7906 (resized).jpeg
    estate (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from njgsx96:

This is maybe 10 minutes from me. Worth a drive over at 9:01AM to see what is up. Thanks for the heads up!

I got the deal of a life time on a pin at an estate sale.

If you really want something, you gotta show up at 4AM to claim your place in line... just FYI

I did that. Claimed the machine... and after all the pinball vultures left, negotiated with the estate sales person. They called the owner with my final offer, it was accepted.

Was a ton of work - may not always work. Probably won’t ever do it again

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

I'm confused. You were basically 1st in line, then said "I'll take it!", followed by later saying "I want a cheaper price!"?
    I'm not understanding "claiming the pin".

I was first. About 10 others came right away and were hawking over it... everyone knew I was first on list. I said I was buying it. About 1/2 said I was an idiot and overpaying . Lots of gamesmanship going on. They all left within about 20 min.

It took a while for one of the estate sale people to come over... she got there once everyone left. I told her I thought I wanted it, but she couldn't find the key. So we started talking... I told her it was way overpriced (which it was). She asked me what I would offer for it. She got on the phone with the owner of the home. She told the person she had someone there that really wanted it and what I was offering.

The owner said yes. I bought it.

No shenanigans. Just what happened.

I'd never been to an estate sale before. The week leading up to the sale, I did some research online and read that people start arriving at these sales as early as 3AM to get a place in line. Me not knowing up from down, I got there at 4AM. Nobody else was there. In fact, no one got there until 7AM and that person was from the ES company. Truthfully, if I hadn't driven an hour into the heart of No.VA, I probably would have left.

Anyhow, the salesperson took my name down and noted what I wanted. She told me I could leave and come back at 9am and jump to the front of the line.

So, went and grabbed some breakfast. Got back there at 8:50. It was PACKED and the line was long. A bunch of people had a problem with me walking to the front of the line. BUT, I was so exhausted I really didn't care and the ES people read names off the list...

The rest is history.

It was a fun adventure... had some funny moments (like one of the neighbors knocking on my car window early in the morning, asking what I was doing sitting there, telling me they were about to call the police). And I really don't think I'll ever do anything like that again. I'm to a point in this hobby where I'm willing to pay a little more for convenience... and I don't have a big workshop space anymore, so major refurb jobs aren't as easy to pull off.

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from jibmums:

The people that run these estate sales are such lying sacks of sh-t. It's almost like there's a script that they read:
    - Whatever condition the machine is in, they will ALWAYS tell you that "we were just playing it last night", or that "it was just working this morning", even if it's obvious that the batteries are dead or worse and the machine is unplayable.
    - They will ALWAYS tell you that they already have "several much higher offers" from people that are ALWAYS coming in from out of state.
    - Their ads ALWAYS state "no previews" and "no early birds" but even if you're first in line on the day of the sale, half the time the machine is already sold.
    Don't believe a word that they tell you.

Maybe most of the time... but not always. Proof positive!

#59 4 years ago
    Quoted from RonSS:

Got it. That makes more sense. Thanks for the explanation.

Yup. All about situation, timing, and how you approach people.

This was quite a few years ago... so jogging my memory here... but I do remember over hearing the ES salesperson tell the owner that I was someone that genuinely wanted it to fix and play - which was true.

That was the tipping point, because right after that she hung up and told me it was mine at my asking price.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider 27dnast.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/estate-sale-n-nj-taf-tz-tspp-more?tu=27dnast and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.