Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

I see at least 4 "authoritative" sources for "bullet-proofing" system 80 games.

Each source highlights a handful of original board defects and an associated mod to eliminate the problem.

Everything from replacing individual resistors, to installing power confirmation LEDs on each individual pcb. seems to be "essential."

Im running on INFORMATION OVERLOAD at this point.

I have a WORKING BH and HH which I bought way back in 1995, but only recently brought out of "deep storage."

I never had to tinker with the boards, and I suspect a few of the essential mods were completed BEFORE I purchased the games.

QUESTION 1:

Which "Bullet-Proofing" mods are actually essential?
-- Obviously the ground mods, but which others?

Question 2:

Which CONTEMPORARY (circa 2019) documentation source describes the MINIMAL mods necessary to ensure a long, happy game life?

Thnx--850mph

#2 2 years ago

1 Change out the old Orange capacitor in the bottom cabinet. (if still there)

2 Repin connectors.

3 Remove and replace old batteries with off board holder or NVRM

#4 2 years ago

- Eliminate most of the board problems with the Pascal P1X4 also adds new functionality to all support System 80 games. Solenoid protection etc.

Then you just need to repin the remaining connectors, rebuild the pop bumper boards, replace the orange cap, etc.

#5 2 years ago

1) Add two jumper wires to the interconnect harness (between the driver board and MPU) for grounding.
2) Rebuild the power supply (replace header pins, caps, diodes, and any heat damaged components). Also replace the connector pins for all power supply connectors. For IDC connectors, cut off and replace with molex. Make sure to use trifurcon pins.
3) Add a ground wire from the power supply to the nearest ground plane.
4) Remove the MPU battery and use a coin cell battery or NVRAM.
5) Replace the orange cap (on games that have it).
6) Clean off all the PCB edge connectors with a pink rubber eraser. The grime and tarnish on those are what causes most connectivity issues--not bad connector pins. System 1 games mainly have pin problems--not system 80.
7) Address cracked solder joints on header pins, especially on pop bumper boards.

That's really about it for the major stuff. Most other things involve correcting problems, making repairs, or addressing game-specific issues. Aside from a few common problem areas and quirks (and each system has its fair share of common problem areas), system 80 isn't that bad of a game system once you become familiar with it.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside