Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Shiner-Bock-cold.jpg
2014-02-25 18.23.04.jpg
2014-02-25 18.22.24.jpg
2014-02-25 18.25.59.jpg
#1 10 years ago

The mod all Pin*Bot owners have been waiting for is finally here!

2014-02-25 18.25.59.jpg2014-02-25 18.25.59.jpg

The Goody Ouchless clear elastics are the perfect rubber band to seal off those Oursler Outlanes(tm) for good! No more quests to conquer the universe foiled by a completely cheap drain with these bad boys installed. Just take off your current rubbers, slip two of these (stack 'em for strength) over the posts near the outlanes, replace the rubbers over the top of the new elastics, and now you friends and family will actually PLAY the game instead of cursing its existence!

2014-02-25 18.23.04.jpg2014-02-25 18.23.04.jpg2014-02-25 18.22.24.jpg2014-02-25 18.22.24.jpg

Oddly enough, when I bought my Pinbot it actually came with cardboard taped over the outlanes. I initially laughed thinking, "Okay, I know Pinbot's a bitch, but it can't be THAT bad." and I ripped it out. Over the months, I learned nudging skills that helped mitigate the outlanes, but my friends just can't deal with it and rarely played the game...until now

The elastics actually provide some nice bounce, unlike the cardboard, and feel like part of the design of the game in many ways, giving the ball more horizontal motion and a spacey float.

#2 10 years ago

Cheater!!!!!!

#3 10 years ago

Hahaha! If I didn't do this, I'd be the only person playing the thing. I totally respect how you have to nudge the machine to deal with the outlanes - its all part of the game. Even with the cheat, my girlfriend can't stand Pinbot and my friends get quickly frustrated.

#4 10 years ago

PinBot's outlanes are the stuff of pure evil indeed, but I think I'll have to pass on this mod.

#5 10 years ago

Those wormhole like outlanes make Pinbot what it is. Pinbot taught me how to nudge.

#6 10 years ago

I think the pin is one of the most difficult there is (reaching the sun on 3 ball play).

#7 10 years ago

This is a way better solution than a nail or screw into the playfield. What I would do is just install one on the left outlane only. Leave the right outlane open. The ball exits on the left side, the most.

Pin Bot, Frustratingly Fun. This is the only pin that I have played a game on, and never even used the left flipper. On 3 balls scores of less than 300,000 can happen.

#8 10 years ago

Try putting a star post where the metal one is.

#9 10 years ago

I'm one of the least coordinated, most clumsy people in the world.
I stink as a player.
But this is a step too far. The drains aren't THAT bad.

I guess you can view this as sort of a "training wheel" type aid.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

I guess you can view this as sort of a "training wheel" type aid.

Yeah, exactly. Definitely helps the less pin-savvy enjoy the game more.

Quoted from Blackbeard:

I think the pin is one of the most difficult there is (reaching the sun on 3 ball play).

I agree! I've made it to the sun three times on standard 3-ball (with extra balls enabled) and it's always a serious challenge.

#11 10 years ago

A must have for his wife too I hate the right outlane on Bride...

2 weeks later
#12 10 years ago

When I first saw your post I was still shopping my pinbot out and hadn't played it. I thought this "mod" was a tasteless joke. After playing several games I am cursing the machine and its designer for those damn outlanes. I can't even play the thing because it constantly drains. Makes me sick. I might just do your "mod" before I put my fist through the glass

#13 10 years ago

My girlfriend hated Pin*Bot when we first got him because in her opinion he just plain didn't like her. I even came home and she was eating dinner in the garage with it. She said she was trying to bond with him so he would stop being mean to her. None of this worked. So she finally decided to learn how to make the correct shots and move the machine. Now they are better friends and she is a better pinball player all around.

#14 10 years ago

How do you guys get your wives and girlfriends to enjoy pinball. Mine moved out coincidentally when I started bringing machines home. Good riddens right?!

#15 10 years ago

Had a game yesterday 107,000 points. I cussed, then quickly reached down and turned it off.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from newtoit:

How do you guys get your wives and girlfriends to enjoy pinball. Mine moved out coincidentally when I started bringing machines home. Good riddens right?!

Shiner-Bock-cold.jpgShiner-Bock-cold.jpg

#17 10 years ago

I like PB and Flash Gordon both because they kick my A$$.

This mod would make the game too easy might as well set it to 24 ball and press start.

4 months later
#18 9 years ago

Will soon be starting a new post displaying my PinBot mod. I used a microswitch and two mini RC servo's and an Arduino controller for the mod... I fastened rubber post bumpers to the servo arms and mounted the servos above the side drains. With this mod when the visor opens it activates the microswitch (mounted under the playfield onto the arm of the visor mechanism) and triggers the servos to drop their arms to block the side drains. Arms go back up when visor closes. It works perfect and adds a whole new dynamic to the game. Furthermore, I added a switch under the machine to disable the servos in the UP or DOWN position so the game can be played classic-style with no side drain protection, or so the side drains are permanently blocked, for when kids or family want to play.

I also added a rollover switch in the metal wire frame ramp that triggers the 'advance planet' target and added a custom made plastic ramp mounted to the upper playfield, that, when the ball happens to fall (plinko-style) towards the left side of the upper playfield, rolls into the ramp, which directs the ball over and above the lower playfield to the left flipper lane (and as a result lights the 'advance planet' target). This adds more activity and incentive to get the ball onto the upper playfield. The ramp can be removed with just a few screws and rollover switch can be disabled with under-cabinet switch so game can be set back to classic mode in just a few minutes.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Will soon be starting a new post displaying my PinBot mod. I used a microswitch and two mini RC servo's and an Arduino controller for the mod... I fastened rubber post bumpers to the servo arms and mounted the servos above the side drains. With this mod when the visor opens it activates the microswitch (mounted under the playfield onto the arm of the visor mechanism) and triggers the servos to drop their arms to block the side drains. It works perfect and adds a whole new dynamic to the game. Furthermore, I added a switch under the machine to disable the servos in the UP or DOWN position so the game can be played classic-style with no side drain protection, or so the side drains are permanently blocked, for when kids or family want to play.

I look forward to this thread, this sounds like a fun mod

2 weeks later
#20 9 years ago

Hey all,

For anyone interested I created a thread called “PinBot Mods” showing photos/video of all of the mods I recently made to my Pin Bot machine (mentioned above).

Here is the YouTube link:

If the embedded link doesn’t display properly, here is the URL:

Thanks!

-Brian

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Hey all,
For anyone interested I created a thread called “PinBot Mods” showing photos/video of all of the mods I recently made to my Pin Bot machine (mentioned above).
» YouTube video

Thanks!
-Brian

That my sir takes modding to a whole new level.

#22 9 years ago

Thanks!

#23 9 years ago

I've had the game for 15 years. After you shoot the ball, it goes up the ramp, then comes down. you need to nudge it forward just as it passes under her foot as it leaves underneath the mini playfield to avoid the drain in the first 10 seconds.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

I also added a rollover switch in the metal wire frame ramp that triggers the 'advance planet' target and added a custom made plastic ramp mounted to the upper playfield, that, when the ball happens to fall (plinko-style) towards the left side of the upper playfield, rolls into the ramp, which directs the ball over and above the lower playfield to the left flipper lane (and as a result lights the 'advance planet' target). This adds more activity and incentive to get the ball onto the upper playfield. The ramp can be removed with just a few screws and rollover switch can be disabled with under-cabinet switch so game can be set back to classic mode in just a few minutes.

why in hell would you do this? It destroys the randomness of the upper pf side exit and makes advance planet too easy. just learn to play the game rather than making it easier. There is already incentive to get to the upper PF. extra skill shot attempts, and jackpot advances.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Hey all,
» YouTube video

Thanks!
-Brian

Your mods add a lot of new dimensions to the game! The outlane blocking servos are ingenious! I've had my Pinbot for a while now and it's one of my all time favorites. I'd like to add some of your mods to my machine at some point.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

why in hell would you do this? It destroys the randomness of the upper pf side exit and makes advance planet too easy. just learn to play the game rather than making it easier. There is already incentive to get to the upper PF. extra skill shot attempts, and jackpot advances.

I love the lighting effects and the eyeball pinballs, but have to agree with this on the ball control and spot planet mods. If I played this machine I would roll the score indefinitely.

#27 9 years ago

The lighting is unneeded, but interesting. With the gameplay changes you might as well take off the glass and just use your hands.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from calvin12:

I expected to receive a decent amount of backlash with posting my mod to this machine. Perhaps you didn’t read the actual thread where I state that all of the mods I made to it are easily reversible so the game can be played in its original entirety. No damage or irreversible mods have been made to the machine.

The reason I did these mods is simply because I enjoy modding. This game is well-known as being a notorious side drainer, and unless you are an avid pinball player this machine can be incredibly frustrating. Many of my friends are not pro pinball players and nobody in my family is either. This machine tends to be ignored compared to my other machines when company is over because it is a difficult game for novice players. Yes, these mods do make the game easier but in doing so makes the game much more appealing to the average person, and hopefully more of my friends and family (kids included) will get enjoyment out of it.

As a matter of fact I still play most of my games on the machine with the servos and upper pf switch disabled, simply because I’ve logged so many hours playing the game and have gotten good at it. I still play with the additional ramp though and don't really see how this makes it any easier, it simply adds one more element of randomness to the upper pf.

-Brian

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

The reason I did these mods is simply because I enjoy modding.

The cross wire form ramp makes a lot of sense. It kind of mirrors the lower exit of the bagatelle, to the in lane. It almost looks like it should be there (although it does not match the same style, of the factory wire form). With 5 exits on the bagatelle, this is a fair mod.

The other mods are cool, but not to my taste. You have some really great ideas there. Keep modding.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

I expected to receive a decent amount of backlash with posting my mod to this machine. Perhaps you didn’t read the actual thread where I state that all of the mods I made to it are easily reversible so the game can be played in its original entirety. No damage or irreversible mods have been made to the machine.
The reason I did these mods is simply because I enjoy modding. This game is well-known as being a notorious side drainer, and unless you are an avid pinball player this machine can be incredibly frustrating. Many of my friends are not pro pinball players and nobody in my family is either. This machine tends to be ignored compared to my other machines when company is over because it is a difficult game for novice players. Yes, these mods do make the game easier but in doing so makes the game much more appealing to the average person, and hopefully more of my friends and family (kids included) will get enjoyment out of it.
As a matter of fact I still play most of my games on the machine with the servos and upper pf switch disabled, simply because I’ve logged so many hours playing the game and have gotten good at it. I still play with the additional ramp though and don't really see how this makes it any easier, it simply adds one more element of randomness to the upper pf.
-Brian

I read the orig post you put up. Even reversable it desrtoys the game play. I am very familiar with the game I've had one for years

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

4,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Kingston, OK
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/essential-pinbot-mod and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.