Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by VacFink
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I am putting together some asset packages that will, hopefully, become part of some of the frameworks out there now, or at least be available for people t use to make their games. I am in production and this kind of stuff is fun for me! Seems like a lot of people were getting caught up in creating these when it wasn't their strong suit. SO...I'll do this and y'all help me with programming and we'll call it even

Anyway, I am creating a list of "essential" call-outs and animations to create. I plan on creating an animation and a voice call out for all of these. I have access to a lot of VO talent so over the next....6 months I am going to send this list out to people who owe me a favor so we get a wide assortment of voices (men, women, kids, deep voice, high voice, accents, etc) AND also create animations to go along with those (super rough test:

) I have way too many projects burning right now so why not another one!!!!

Here is what I have so far......what am I missing? I put some that were inspired by other games but I'd like to get as many of the ones that could be used on ANY game:

Extra Ball
Shoot Again
Special
Shoot the ramp
Shoot the orbit
TILT
Game Over
DANGER
Double Danger
Shoot for the extra ball
Lock is lit
Ball locked
Ball 1 Locked
Ball 2 locked
Ball 3 Locked
Ball 4 Locked
secret ball lock
MULTIBALL
Shoot the scoop
Add a ball
Jackpot
Double Jackpot
Triple Jackpot
Double Super Jackpot
Play Better
AGAIN!
COME ON SHOOT SOMETHING!
We have a winner
High Score
Replay
Worst ball ever!
Easy on the merchandise
Shoot the ball
Launch the ball
It’s only pinball

#3 7 years ago

and these animations are going to be designed for what screen dimensions/resolution?

#4 7 years ago

You should get in touch with JJP. They could use this.

#5 7 years ago

I'm going to do two "sizes" one is 1920x1080 HD, the other will be 128x32 though I'm going to experiment with 256x64 to preserve some quality.

Honestly I can frame and format them to whatever is needed but those are the ones I'll make then if you need something specific I'll be happy to crop/format.

Since I'll be using kivy I'll format h.264 codec but I'll format anything. That said mpeg1 is terrible so I might pass on that unless you really really need it

Quoted from rosh:

and these animations are going to be designed for what screen dimensions/resolution?

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

Since I'll be using kivy I'll format h.264 codec but I'll format anything.

Cool!
Are these rendered with an alpha channel? If so does the h.264 codec support an alpha channel?

#7 7 years ago

Good question. These are created with an alpha channel. But h.264 does not support alpha channels. Animation and ProRes 4444 codecs support alpha channels (what I use daily) but...they are fairly large.

Let me see what codec is a little smaller but includes the alpha channel..... That's def worth including...thanks. Alpha channel for all!!

#8 7 years ago

The other disadvantage of animation codec is it can be pretty processor intensive. Asked the guys in the studio and PNG codec came up as smaller size and still with an alpha.

The issue is everything I create is used in post production so we always go for the highest quality regardless of file size.

For these uses I need something that can be used in a dynamic scenario......might need to do some experimenting......

Open to suggestions that work well in game. Again...I can do ANY format...just want it to be useful to as many people...

#9 7 years ago

Ok....going to have to look into how alpha channels are handled in kivy. Also let me know requirements for skleletongame HD. I figure those two are the most likely for someone getting started.

The long and the short of it is I need to see how transparent videos are handled because videos with alpha channels really aren't meant for distribution. Rather they are intermediates in the post prod chain.......

Stills are easy....but in a 10 sec clip you have 300 stills....which gets a little tough to keep small.

So I can def send someone a version with an alpha channel but not sure if it can be used dynamically in a game.

Flv MIGHT be an option...but it's not an ideal format

#10 7 years ago

Any call outs I am missing?

#11 7 years ago

"Shoot the Ramp" and "Shoot the Orbit" are callouts that make me want to sell the game in a few weeks.

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

"Shoot the Ramp" and "Shoot the Orbit" are callouts that make me want to sell the game in a few weeks.

Shoot the pyramid is a same day sale right? :p

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

Honestly I can frame and format them to whatever is needed but those are the ones I'll make then if you need something specific I'll be happy to crop/format.

You might want to try to poll the guys in the homebrew space around the dimensions they are working with. 32x128 is certainly going to come up a lot. I personally run my games in full color at 96x192 and 450x900 (which is really 1080x1920 cropped and halved, to fit in a standard height speaker panel). Personally, I don't really have much need for the animations, since I've created most of them to meet my needs, but voice callouts can always be handy.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

Any call outs I am missing?

Extra ball is lit
Super Jackpot

#15 7 years ago

Yeah....I'm prob going to go with 128x32 and 1920x480 which uses the full HD screen but aspect ratio to DMD.

Full screen 1920x1080 will be kind of a side product anyway so that will be easily available.

Anything else to be honest with the few people who will use these...its easier for someone to ask for what they need and I'll make it.

Also...transparencies are possible through a PNG sequence. Still a large file size (best I can do is 50mb for a 3 sec ani) but...again...for the one person who needs it we'll work something out.....

#16 7 years ago

Combo

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Shoot the pyramid is a same day sale right? :p

I love those callouts. It's like "wow, I'm glad you have so much confidence in me!" *doesn't hit it once the whole game*

#18 7 years ago

Fri bump... What am I missing??

#19 7 years ago

You can probably optimize things by splitting out individual words,etc to combine later. So you can have
"player"
"1
''2
"3"
"4"
"ball.."
"locked"

Gives you "Player 1", "ball 2 locked" when scripted together. Plus the individual number call outs can be used for a countdown timer "4" "3" "2" "1"

#20 7 years ago

ding ding dong ding dong ding ding ding

#21 7 years ago

Thanks. I'll do that. The ridiculous thing is that .....two people will ever use all this....oh well

#22 7 years ago

Starting to record on Monday. Still time for suggestions. Plan on playing a lot of pinball this weekend to get ideas

#23 7 years ago

This looks like a great idea that could pair up with a framework such as Mission Pinball (https://missionpinball.com)

#24 7 years ago

Yes. I've spoken to Brian (mission) and Micheal (skeleton) and they are both aware of the project and may Incorporate it.

My game right now is a mission game which is why I was inspired to do this for the community

1 week later
#25 7 years ago

Ball Saved
Lookout - for VUK pukes

Shoot lit target

Timer/clock animation with tones for seconds
Fuse/bomb Timer animation

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 22.50
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/essential-call-outs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.