2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by the9gman
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

I am looking for a decent ESR meter that is not over priced. I've seen some going for $22 up to $180, but I'm not sure what to get. Any suggestions?

#2 2 years ago

I went with an Atlas ESR70. It should be about $100.

#3 2 years ago

The cheap Chinese 328 version works great! And this is coming from a guy whose
    engineering career was spent designing test equipment.

One thing to know...when using any of these ESR meters be CERTAIN
    any caps you test are fully discharged and remove all components
    before testing. They are easy to frap.

These are about the very best bang for your buck.
    Steve

#4 2 years ago

I have an expensive chinese LCR meter for about 3 years... I've used it maybe twice.
    I honestly don't see the value for the average hobbyist ... Caps are cheap; just replace them if in question.

#5 2 years ago

I also have an atlas and basically all it does is tell you the esr of the cap you’re putting in is worse than the one you removed.

#6 2 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions and inputs! This is for a stereo project and there is a lot of caps I would rather test than replace.

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from zarco:

The cheap Chinese 328 version works great!

I have two of them

And I always test capacitors just removed. It will save you time from ordering and waiting for replacements only to find they weren't the problem.

#8 2 years ago

These are good not only for caps but transistors and diodes.
    More useful in fact for these as you can identify parts that
    have degraded but haven't failed completely yet.
    Steve

#9 2 years ago

This post is right up my wheel house ....we had a lot of caps in FAA navigation equipment and I did years of research on ESR and Caps. Basically you need to do three tests on any cap to tell you if its any good . Capacitance , leakage and ESR. Many caps right out of the pack will fail ESR and capacitance until you form them ..which is basically bringing them up to their rated voltage in 5v increments and then letting them sit there for 30 min to an hour. The electrolyte inside the cap will eat away at the oxide coating if it sits on the shelf for a long period of time . By forming them you rebuild that coating and many will pass after this process. Many times if it doesn't pass the capacitance test it won't pass ESR so just having a capacitance testor will tell you a lot. If it still doest test good after forming it is definitely bad. Leakage is another easy test by hooking a resistor to limit current draw to the cap under test and bringing it up to voltage ....when brought up to voltage it should draw no current . ESR is the least important test but still nice to know as long as you have the cap specifications for what the esr is supposed to be on the spec sheet. You can get a cheap esr component tester off ebay that work well enough handle most components in a pinball machine or stereo

People seem to think they don't give you the right capacitance number but the fact of the matter is ....the cap rating is the minimum capacitence but it could be higher (which means you got a better cap then expected ) and most of the time the cap will read higher then the rating and people fault the test unit which is not the case

The component tester is also an indespensible tool for transistors, mosfets diodes etc

For caps I spent my money on a good capacitor tester with inductance for checking coils and all you need for leakage is a bench power supply

ebay.com link: itm

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/esr-meter and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.